Favourited 335 times
Hello from sunny Scotland!
We are looking for people to join us from March/April 2022.
* PLEASE NOTE: we only have 4 volunteer spaces in the Village and we recieve a lot of interest. Volunteers usually stay for 6-12 months, so there isn’t a quick turn around. We try to plan so that we know when volunteers are leaving, but plans do change. Sometimes we will need people last minute as applications fall through etc. We try to keep our profile updated as much as possible but it’s always best to check in directly :-) *
You will need to have the right to work in Scotland (UK/Ireland/BNO or EU with settled/pre-settled status or with Youth Mobility Visa).
This is a fully residential position with all accommodation and food provided. You will have your own bedroom in a shared tiny house with another volunteer. We also cover some weekly living expenses to make life a bit easier for you.
Ideally you will be a dedicated, enthusiastic, and energetic volunteer who is willing to to live with us for a minimum of 6 months (potentially longer) at the Village as part of the community. We need you to encourage and motivate community life in the Village. As a residential volunteer you will be living alongside and supporting up to 16 people who have experienced homelessness.
Please note that we will ask you to fill out an application form prior to volunteering with us. This is a unique and demanding role and we need to check that the experience and values of those who apply are suitable. Additionally, you will need to undergo a criminal record check before moving into the Village (we will organise this and it will not cost you anything).
After you have made contact, we like to send out more information via email. Please send us your email address in your first message to make the process quicker for everyone :-)
Thanks, we look forward to hearing from you!!!
Help with Eco Projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
This is an excellent volunteering opportunity for people looking for a gap year or university placement in the charitable sector, offering great experience in the care or social work sector. We welcome volunteers from around the world.
The Village is located in Edinburgh which is a culturally rich city and the Village itself has people from diverse and interesting backgrounds.
There is potential to improve English and exchange cultural ideas and customs.
- Cooking/baking is probably my favourite thing to do. I find it very therapuetic. I am vegan so very used to cooking for myself, but I've also got experience of cooking for big groups of people/communities.
- Organisation skills.
- I'm reliable and hardworking. I would also say I'm flexible and willing to take on new tasks and learn.
- I'm good with technology and computers, I have lots of administrative experience.
- People skills. I'm a very friendly and empathetic person. I like to support others. I'm also good with children.
- Good with animals/pets. I have spent a lot of time with animals growing up, so I feel confident looking after them and working around them.
The Village is made up of 10 ‘NestHouses’ – each shared by two residents/volunteers. The houses have a kitchen/living room area and a bathroom. There is also a large, central Community Hub, which is the focus of community life – where residents and volunteers can cook, eat and socialise together. We order our food from FareShare, an organisation that tackles food waste - volunteers order this twice a week. Volunteers are expected to stay over night in the Village for at least five nights out of seven.
Edinburgh is Scotland's second biggest city. As Scotland’s capital, it’s open-minded and dynamic, but small enough to walk almost anywhere you need to go. Its winding, often cobbled streets are loaded with excellent, restaurants, pubs, art galleries and shops. Although, when you’re at the Village it doesn’t feel like you’re in a city. The Village is like a little haven away from it all. We are a 2 minute walk away from the beach, and we like to go for sea dips if you are brave enough to join us!
There will be opportunities to travel in Scotland on days off and explore the beautiful city/surrounding areas. Many former volunteers with us have headed to the beautiful Highlands for long weekends. We have bikes that you can use, there are excellent cycle path routes in Edinburgh. There are also great bus links - we are very close to multiple bus stops.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
This host can provide space for campervans.
Potentially able to take very well behaved pets
More than two
25hrs a week over 4/5 days. Volunteers are expected to be around the Village when key community events are taking place and are required to stay overnight in the Village at least 5 nights out of 7.
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: