Favourited 466 times
I'm a retired man & run a little Cat Sanctuary at home. They were sick/dying street cats I found around the city. I adopt, vaccine & neuter them. I do not consider them pets, they are now my children. I've recently started to work with the local city government to neuter street cats with their financial assistance.
At the same time, I also try to do some community / social work in keeping the neighborhood a more pleasant place to live.
And there is a no-alcohol & no-smoking policy at this home (indoor AND outdoor) ... bad influence to my children.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Help with Computers/ Internet
Workawayers will live in a suburban middle-class neighborhood & see/experience real Malaysian day to day way of life.
1) you may get the chance of meeting my relatives/friends at their homes if I happen to visit them during your stay.
2) if time permits (& cost-sharing) I can take you see interesting places that are not easily accessible with public transport like the Kuala Selangor Firefly Colony, the beach of Port Dickson, the highlands of Cameron Highlands or Fraser's Hill. There are hiking places too. And some waterfall not too far.
3) I prefer someone who like to join me meeting with the neighbors for socializing & participate in community helps,
4) if you are interested in cultures & religion, there are local mosques, temples, for you to visit. Visitors should not miss the chance in learning a little extra about Islam as you won't find it in neighbouring Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos etc whose people are mostly Buddhists. An Islamic learning centre (run by a former Buddhist) for non-muslims is nearby & they conduct lectures on Saturday mornings.
A non-smoker, respectful, emotionally stable, mature, disciplined, & punctual person would be the perfect candidate.
Need assistance in feeding, bathing, cleaning , bringing them to the vet & other related tasks. If you are lucky, some of them might want to join you in bed. Sometimes I go out looking for strays & feed them & you can assist me.
My community work for the neighborhood includes keeping the area clean & tidy. I work with the local politicians & the City Hall to achieve this.
My elderly mom also lives here at times, so you could assist in taking care of her if she is around.
Other domestic chores are also available, like house re-painting, cleaning, etc.
Expected stay is between 7 - 60 days.
This host offers a language exchange
This host has indicated that they are interested in sharing their own language or learning a new language.
You can contact them directly for more information.
As a retiree, I lead a frugal lifestyle at home & while travelling. This helps to support my Cat Sanctuary expenses that can sometimes exceed my own monthly food expenses due to their (cats) food & medical care. So please do not expect anything luxurious while staying.
My home is in a quiet suburb of Petaling Jaya, a city located just outside Kuala Lumpur. Workawayer has the following option to sleep :--
1) a private guest room (with fan only) with 1 bunk-bed, you may need to share the room if there is another guest,
2) if the private room is unavailable/occupied, you may use the sofa bed in the common area,
2) if you have a camping tent, you may put it up in the lawn.
Sometimes there are other rent-paying occupants in the house and they have their own private rooms. You are asked to respect other house-occupants their privacy. It's a relatively quiet house, therefore if you are a party person, this place is definitely not for you.
You have access to the kitchen & laundry. But no food is provided, as I hardly cook for myself at home. You can make yourself coffee/tea which is always available. Basic cooking ingredients are also available. Consumption of pork & alcohol is however forbidden in the house as it's a Muslim-majority dwelling.
Supermarkets offering local & international food are nearby and ready-made food from restaurants & hawkers are abundant & cheap. A typical meal is approximately between RM8 - RM12 (USD2.00 - USD3.00).
There is Wifi (500 Mbps) that you are free to use.
The nearest LRT (train) station is a mere 15 minutes walk (1.2km) from my home. The train will bring you directly to the Petronas Twin Towers within just 30 minutes, or to KL Sentral Terminal (the main transport hub) within 15 minutes. "GRAB" (car-hailing) service is easily available & cheap. In Kuala Lumpur & Petaling Jaya there are free public bus services. I have 2 bicycles you can use. Due to common bicycle theft, you will need to place a cash deposit though.
There is a park with a lake within 15-20 minutes walk, if you like to run/jog.
You can also have access to a swimming pool & a gym at the condominium complex where I own another house, just 15 minutes drive away.
Food outlets are abundant within 10 minutes walk, if you do not feel like preparing your own.
If you will be out for the day, please come home before 22:00, or you will have to find a hotel room, seriously.
Workawayers will be screened for identification. Passport will need to be sighted & digital copied for my reference before acceptance. Your next-of-kin contact will also be requested for emergencies.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
We have 500 mbps internet connection
This host can provide space for campervans.
This host has said they are willing to accept those travelling with a pet.
15 hours maximum per week (volunteers buy their own food)
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: