We are located approximately half way between Vancouver and Calgary in the Interior of British Columbia and call the beautiful Tappen/Shuswap Lake area our home.
My husband and I have retired from business life and are finding that we are busier than ever. Which is why we are looking for someone who is willing to stay with us for a minimum of one month (August and September 2018, possibly into October) to help us with taking care of 7 hectares of gardens and mini farm.
We enjoy growing our own food and spend much time working with our two horses and improving the property.
The majority of the work entails weeding (we do not use herbicides) and watering both of which need to be done regularly. There is also general garden work, such as mowing lawns, sweeping, cleaning flower beds, and harvesting of berries and herbs.
We believe this opportunity is well suited for someone who enjoys being outdoors and would like to experience the more rural aspects of Canadian living.
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
In general our visitor will be exposed to rural Canadian living. Specifically I would be happy to share my knowledge of animal nutrition (I have a Master's degree in Agriculture) and the use and benefits of wild herbs. I am fluent in both English and German which means that a visitor with limited English speaking abilities would be able to learn more English at a easier pace.
Weeding is one of the major tasks around here. We have been hand-weeding for many years and the weeds are well under control, we just have to stay on top of them. I will teach you their identification and assist as much as possible.
While the weeds can sometimes wait for a few days, the watering cannot during hot and dry summer days. Please, be aware that this could sometimes interfere with your plans to be away for more than one day.
We have found that in general weeding and watering will take between 3 and 5 hours per day in the height of the season (= July and August). In addition there is the other general garden and outside work which can be scheduled Throughout the week.
The type of person we are looking for:
- is honest and dependable;
- enjoys the peace and quiet of nature;
- is preferably 21 years of age or older;
- can supply character references;
- is in relatively good physical shape (we live in hilly country).
You would live in your own bright basement suite in the house next door to us. It is fully furnished and contains a combined kitchen and living area, bathroom, bedroom, den, storage room with washer and dryer, and internet access. There is cell phone service in this area. We will pay for your food and supply general household necessities. It is expected of you to keep the suite clean and do your own cooking and laundry.
The house is directly at the lake and has a beautiful view. A private beach and great swimming in clean water are only a few steps away.
The upstairs of the house will be rented intermittently during the summer months to tourists visiting our Shuswap Lake. The two units (i.e. upstairs vs. downstairs suites) are mutually locked out, except for the downstairs laundry and storage room. Please, note that we advertise the upstairs rental as a quiet retreat.
A bit of information about our area and what to do in free time:
- Spring and fall are pleasant while the summers can be dry and hot (up to 30 d.C. is not uncommon);
- The next major town is Salmon Arm about 30 minutes away (approx. 25,000 inhabitants);
- There are many mountain biking and hiking trails around Salmon Arm as well as in the Rocky Mountains
which are about 1.5 hours East of here via the Trans Canada Highway;
- The swimming conditions are great!
- We have a canoe that you are welcome to use;
- If you are an experienced horse back rider you might like to accompany me on trial rides;
- There is no public transit but we can discuss lending of a car for extra hours worked;
- This area is rural and quiet but there is shopping and entertainment in Salmon Arm as well
as in Vernon (1hour), Kelowna (2 h), Kamloops (1.5 h).
- Salmon Arm hosts the annual Roots and Blues Festival in August and has an amateur theatre. .
- The nearest airports are in Kelowna and Kamloops; if you arrive at one of these we'd pick you up.
.... and about your hosts:
- we are a married, "somewhat older" (60's);
- we enjoy the outdoors and our two horses;
- we are somewhat "workaholics" trying to constantly improve our property.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Maximum 3-5 hours a day/5 days per week,