Favourited 662 times
My name is Liam and I've been here as a Work-Away since 2019 November, an opportunity came up to be part of the team during my stay and I didnt think twice, so i'm now here for the foreseeable future! Part of my responsibility is to coordinate you and make sure you have a fun, safe time whilst you are here. I'm in charge of managing the volunteers and generally if anything needs looking at on the farm im on it! exciting stuff :) you will have lots of free time to explore I cant express how welcoming people are here, your very much part of a large community as soon as you walk past the entrance. You will meet different people every day. We are a small farm within the City of Vancouver that works towards growing quality food following agroecological principles; to provide sustainable farm and food education through empowering people of all ages with traditional skills and knowledge; and to protect and preserve the Agriculture Land Reserve (ALR) within BC by advocating for and supporting other local farmers and food producers. We are on a 2 acre farm that has horses, goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, and bees - an orchard, and two large gardens to grow food. We host a non-profit therapeutic riding program, horseback riding school, and an educational, working farm. Thus is an inclusive farm and welcomes all.
DIY and building projects
- learn about life on the last working farm in the city of Vancouver
- share and exchange language, food, music and culture with people from all over the world
- be a part of an inclusive community where everyone is seen as capable, strong, and skilled individuals
- live in an equestrian community inside of the city where you typically pass by more horses on the street than cars!
- become part of the farm community, from daily coffee time to potlucks and bonfires
***You must be comfortable with heavy lifting (hay bales, waterbuckets, wheelbarrows etc), mud and farm tasks***.
Our animals take priority and it is essential that you are comfortable with daily tasks that ensure they are cared for morning and/or evening.
Typical tasks will include:
- animal care/husbandry (goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, horses)
- growing food, gardening, weeding, and harvesting
- help to maintain the property and living quarters
- being a farm representative, engaging with clients and the general public
- being a part of an inclusive environment: fostering respect and welcoming diversity
- building, carpentry, repair and maintenance of facilities
- having a 'can-do' attitude for many tasks that can come up on a day-to-day basis; every day is different!
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️HORSE EXPERIENCE AN ASSET*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️ - YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO RIDE HERE! WE DO A WORK TO RIDE SCHEME AND ARE HAPPY TO EXCHANGE WORK IN THE BARN FOR A RIDING LESSON.
1) Hayloft room - Larger bright room above the horse barn in the hayloft.
2) Trailer - A small single room in a trailer on the property.
3) Loveshack - Small studio apartment, attached the owners property
No rooms are en-suite. All rooms are insulated and heated and have electricity. Rooms are basic and private.
Free Wifi property wide
A shared shower room up in the hayloft - Some basic shared toiletries are available.
Toilets / WC on ground floor.
Shared kitchen and cooking facilities (stove, coffee maker, fridge, microwave, toaster, oven)
Common area for eating etc.
No TV or no computers available
Outdoor cooking oven and eating area.
- 30 minutes by bus, and 15 minutes by car to Downtown Vancouver
- close bike or bus ride to University of British Columbia
- 800m walk to the Fraser River and trails
- public transit access to the North Shore mountains, hiking and ski resorts
- Walking distance to bus stops that connect to trains to YVR airport, the suburbs and downtown vancouver. Farm is located close to UBC and Pacific spirit park.
Be prepared to prepare your own meals as they will not be provided. We have some basic ingredients available. Food delivery is available using food delivery Apps.
It is recommended to bring some groceries with you for the first few days. We occasionally may be able to take you to the local grocery store once a week for the heavier and any bulk items.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: