Favourited 342 times
Corona Virus clear home and being sensible and not fearful.
:: Help needed immediately::
Can you help? For around one month or longer.
(If not now, do check back later in the year, as I have back to back volunteers all year long.)
A bit about me! In my home, I have regular travelling guests who are my responsibility, and I also work from home part time as a private holistic therapist. While looking after the patients and guests and all their needs is totally my responsibility, I basically need a 2nd adult for a helping hand to assist in the busy-ness of all aspects of my daily life - doing every day things to support me in an every day home in the suburbs, and walking my dog daily, as I am busy working for the guests and patients. I am often at home in the daytime, and my guests are here most evenings.
Tasks may include cleaning, household admin, daily dog walking, cooking, helping re-organise areas in the house etc. I would also like help and motivation de-cluttering, entering things for sale on e-bay, spring cleaning, basic household repairs/female DIY. I can dog sit for other people sometimes too. You will benefit from meeting and chatting with my guests - from all over the world. Of the 900 guests I have had stay in recent years, they are very multicultural, having come from over 80 different countries. This is a truly international house!
The duties are random and varied, but can be spasmodic and changeable, so you need to be OK with this. You must also be happy with your own company, outside of helping hours, and also between tasks if I am too busy to stop. But other guests/WorkAwayers are often available to hang out/go places with. The overwhelming thing that all my guests or volunteers say about being here, is how at home they feel, and “part of the family”; and that they really benefit from the community feel, activities of the house, and interaction with all those that come and go here, as their temporary home. People often leave with a tear in their eye.
Brody is my very well trained and adoring dog. Probably the fluffiest and huggiest dog you will ever meet. He is a "companion dog", so wants to just be with or beside you, wherever you are. He is being highly trained for Competitions and as a Therapy Dog, so it is ESSENTIAL that any Work Awayer closely follows the dog rules and training with him at all times too. You can help train him if you like; this is like play to him, and fun to me.
This is a Christian household, so I would be looking for someone who is quite comfortable with respecting Christian morals, including a simpler lifestyle. I am a holistic therapist, specialising in emotional health and the mind-body connection. I love relaxing music, dog training and introducing people to my hobby of Ceroc dancing (also called Modern Jive).
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
My past WorkAwayers have said they learn a lot from living and working here, because of the diversity of jobs they do and skills they use while here - from interacting with people to dog training, from household tasks to language practise, from attention to detail to chatting, cooking and eating with the guests.
I have hosted over 900 tourists and students from abroad in the last 4.5 years. They say they love our chats and feel 'home-away-from-home' here - which is my aim. I like helping people with their English conversation (I began training for Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)). I am informally learning spanish, so am always happy to practise this more. Interacting with our diverse guests here is very enriching. Our guests arrive as strangers and many say they feel like family when they leave, and we often shed a tear on parting. You will be part of our international family, which is always diverse :-)
As an holistic therapist, I specialise in emotional health and relief, and the emotional connection to physical illnesses, so you can learn life skills and techniques for emotional and mental health and well being if you would like.
Birmingham, as England's second biggest city, has just won City-of-the-Year award. Its vastly multicultural population consists mainly under 30 year olds, with the largest (brand new) library and markets in Europe, and more canals than Venice! Nearby Solihull town is known as the "best place to live and work in England". Nearby is the very well preserved 1100 year old Warwick Castle and town, and Shakespeare's beautiful Stratford-upon-Avon - this is quintescential England, and the 2nd most popular tourist attraction in the country. I really enjoy showing you the best places to visit and helping orientate foreigners to English culture, locally and the best tourist places.
Preferably you will be an older or experienced home-owner, or have been responsible for your own property, or a Married couple please. A dog lover, with good English, who enjoys looking after people and giving attention to detail, with good energy and a problem solving, "can021 do" attitude. We have constant back to back volunteers to give continuous support throughout the year.
Visiting with us will suit you if you:
- Can flexible and adaptable with your hours and days. I am happy with you taking up to 3 days off a week.
- Love dogs and walking my dog daily, especially in our winter weather. Preferably experienced with dogs.
- Love people and caring for them.
- Are an organised person who can help independently and enjoys giving attention to detail.
- Are happy entertaining yourself in your spare time as I am often working or out, so I cannot be with you in your spare time. I will happily show you what you can go and do in your free time, and places of interest to visit, if you don't mind going alone.
- Are completely non- smoking, thank you. (Please do not apply if you smoke).
- Have good/intermediate level of English in all aspects, preferably level B or C (this does not suit beginner English, though there is a language school 15 mins cycle ride away. Please do not apply if your English is not AT LEAST intermediate level).
- Are preferably over 30 years old, or have been responsible for your own property.
- Have lived independently, away from home, and in a foreign country before.
- Are an excellent and proactive communicator - voluntarily keeping me informed and updated at all times.
There are two different ways you could help here:
1. A Home Help - for general help around the home. An extra adult, a friend to share the daily load. Someone that *-+is independent, aged 30+, or good life experience and has looked after their own property. You should be confident with animals, people and random household chores (and general gardening). A good level of English is required, no beginners please.
Daily help with everyday household chores, daily dog walking and play time (with the fluffiest dog you may ever have seen), light cleaning, cooking, household admin, simple computer based tasks, like simple onilne research, e-bay selling, de-cluttering, basic gardening. The jobs are often small, and bitty, but very varied and light. If you feel confident enough to house sit and pet sit so I can go away for a weekend, that would be great!
You will enjoy being here if you are able to stay focussed, not mind lots of random little jobs, take the minimal daily housework off me, and be able to help keep me on track with my own admin tasks while working from home, and helping to keep distractions away from me.
Separate to the above:
2. Sometimes I am looking for DIY help for several outdoors, garden and small interior building repair tasks around my home. Note, our winters are cold and may be wet (around 2-7 degrees), so you must be ok with being outdoors in this weather. We have created a shelter to work under if raining. We have a good set of tools, but are on a very tight budget, so always look out for free or recycled materials.
Examples of the type of tasks we need help with:
* replace a patio
* repair and paint rotten or dog damaged wood
* make a removable dog agility course in the garden
* re-paint the front door and lounge window frames
* apply insulation to an interior wall
* create a wooden window seat/bench in a bay window
* create (dig) a stream and small waterfall feature from recycled materials
* make and affix a small front garden gate
* add an insulating layer to the inside of a plastic conservatory roof
* dig up sugar cane roots
* basic garden tidy up
* plenty of interior sanding and varnishing, staining and some painting
* cleaning and restoring hallway floor tiles - original 100 year old victorian slate, patterned tiles (a long dedicated job)
If you are creative, that would be a bonus. Please tell me what type of things you have accomplished and created in your DIY-ing.
. o O o .
Both jobs are Not for people who prefer a set structure and regular routine. Me, my schedule, and the jobs, are random and often change. There are both regular and unexpected events, times or tasks you will be needed for, that cannot be changed, but many tasks and days allow for flexibility in the timing and tasks you choose to do when, and the days you have off.
I ask that guests are completely non-smokers please.
There is no TV licence here, so it is illegal to watch live (and some catch up) UK television here, even on your own devices. Though you are free to watch Netflix, You Tube etc.
While I am busy working night and day, mainly at home, apart from guiding you with the jobs, and meeting for meals, I am often not free so cannot stop and chat as much as you may like. So you need to be happy to fill your own free time. I will be delighted to help and guide you to find places to go and activities to do and routes to plan, no a budget (I am regularly told I should have been a Tour Guide :-).
I took basic spanish classes and would benefit from regular practise with a good spanish speaker.
There is also occasional house sitting and dog sitting if I am away for the weekend, where you could be totally in charge.
English, a little spanish
Home is a large, Victorian, 3-storey terrace in suburban Acocks Green. This is a residential district, part way between Birmingham (7 mins by train) and Solihull (5 mins by train). It is a built up area, but the countryside is only 15 minutes drive away, and there is a canal and a small park, one block away, which is great for cycling or walking.
You will have your own private bedroom, unless there are 2 workawayers of the same gender, in which case you may share the same room, if pre-agreed. You will share the bathroom, kitchen, and lounge with me and all the guests.
Despite it being a residential area, it is popular with guests because:
1. it is very well networked. Excellent public transport (train 5 mins walk, lots of buses), supermarket, large range of shops and eating places are all within a 5 minute walk. The city centre, airport and countryside are all within 15 mins drive; and we are so centrally located in the country - on route to anywhere in England, including several tourists spots, excellent for your days off.
2. the house layout and environment work very well for sharing with guests, it's 100-year-old, solid construction keeps it quiet and private, and people can choose to enjoy socialising in the communal dining-kitchen or lounge, or having their own private space.
Getting out and about:
Public transport is great here (train and buses 5 mins walk), a high street full of useful shops, 2 supermarkets and many places to eat all within easy walking distance. The city centre, airport, motorways and countryside are all within 15 mins drive.
I should have been a Tourist Information Officer for a job, as I love helping guests plan visits, tour our country, learn the best places to go, how to save money, travel on a budget, connect with others, etc.
We are very centrally located in England. From Birmingham it is easy to get anywhere in the country by road or train.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
5 hours per day, 5 days per week (max 25 hours a week)
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: