Favourited 529 times
CORONA OUTBREAK MEASURES - MARCH: we won't be hosting volunteers during the Europe lockdown to avoid potential contagion.
To be followed accordingly with the situation developments
This is a Bali-based NGO in Ubud area, Bali, Indonesia. We empower communities by teaching them how to turn plastic waste into fuel oil with a low-tech device!
Our team of 3 local staff lives in our headquarters (house, garden and workshop)
We welcome volunteers to :
- Help maintain the place - garden and housekeeping
- Learn about plastic waste issues in Bali and share solutions to reduce the amounts of it
- Help local staff for our NGO activities : machine building, NGO consulting, media contents making, any knowledges sharing
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
By staying with our friendly local staff you will learn about :
- Indonesian language & cultures, staff will be happy to teach everything they know,
- Local food & cuisine
- How we can reduce plastic waste, in order to help nature recover but also ourselves by returning the plastic to a usable state which is oil that we can then use as fuels.
- Wood and bamboo carving, tropical and sustainable gardening
- Music: our bamboo master is looking for disciples ready to learn karinding, a Sundanese traditional instrument. You can learn to craft it from scratch and to play it, just mention it on your request! :)
Indonesian x International sharing of knowledge has been the main goal of our volunteering program from the very beginning.
From a daily perspective, tasks range from general maintenance to speaking on our behalf for our non-profit events !
We like everyone to take turns in the daily tasks so we can see what tasks best suit your skills.
1- Daily tasks in the house :
- Buying groceries at the traditional market (with a budget provided by the NGO
- Cooking for the team
- Cleaning is done on a daily turn basis (everyone participating)
- Gardening / Landscaping
- Teaching English to local staff - the NGO being fully operated by local volunteers, we wish to give them the opportunity to meet and learn from international volunteers.
2- Our NGO has started to be well known in Bali and we are always looking at new opportunities. Here is how you can contribute :
- Cover events : Join the staff during their activities all over Bali, take pictures/videos and post them online. We have limited equipement, so bringing yours along can help a lot to achieve this.
- Digital marketing & consulting: while staying with us, you might come up with new ideas on how to improve our NGO in every aspects. We welcome every external inputs & discussions on these for sure!
If you have digital marketing and communication skills, you might even help us for fundraising and Events promotions.
- Machine building, R&D and other : if you have engineering, chemistry, hardwork skills such as welding, wood or metalcarving, you will surely be of great help!
Regarding the length of you stay : The longer the better ! We love slow-travel.
We prefer to host volunteers at least for 2 weeks but we had people coming up to 3 months and we were thrilled about it. It is also more enjoyable for you to get used to the house, people and tasks and take your time for it.
/!\ SPECIAL MENTION TO VOLUNTEERS APPLYING FOR JULY - AUGUST 2020 /!\
Our zero-waste annual festival RUMEKSO BUMI will take place by the beginning of August.
All volunteers are welcome to apply and help for the installations of the festival, however the accomodation might be shifted to tents and 'camping'.
The festival organization offers opportunities to everyone to learn about traditional bamboo, rotan, coconut (and a lot more) handicraft.
Additionally, we won't produce any plastic waste during the festival - so be ready to push-ups if you inadvertently bring some with you :)
English, Indonesian, French
The rooms we provide for now are fairly basic: it is composed of mattress and pillows, and we regularly improve them with wood/bamboo furniture. If you wish to improve the rooms comfort, try submitting your ideas and we will gladly put some time and ressources on it to craft the improvements.
Unless you apply as a couple or know each other, we try to accomodate solo travelers with the same gender as often as possible (unless you do not care).
The bathroom is outside and shared with everyone (There is no running hot water but it is possible to heat water on a stove).
We provide 2 meals a day ( the team takes turns going for groceries and doing the cooking). We can also accommodate you if you have any specific diet just let us know.
Also, you can help yourself to tea and coffee whenever you need it.
/!\ We do not have available vehicles for volunteers /!\
Staff will be able to transport you if you accompany to events but can't assume entire disponibility
Our place is quite remote, but you can access it by motorbike. It is close to Ubud's Green School.
It is better for you to be able to drive a motorbike and/or to rent your own car/motorbike. We can help with providing a fair price contact for the rental.
Our team being on Bali for 2 years on now, we can direct/accompany you to still untouched local places (waterfalls, ricefields and jungles) as well as to more 'party' places in Bali's south and Ubud surroundings.
Foodie? Just ask your advises out and be warned about our taste for chili :p
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week