We are a small family of three living on a 10-acre hobby farm on Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada. The island is located on the west-coast of Canada and allows you to enjoy a relaxed and old fashioned lifestyle. Some of the local highlights include unlimited access to quiet beaches where you can stroll along the water and absorb the tranquility of nature; collect oysters and clams right off the beach; swimming at either of the two lakes on the island between May-October; peaceful walks through beautiful forests; an eclectic assortment of people in the local community as well as passing through.
Our property provides a relaxing environment for you to stay and enjoy the best the Gulf Islands has to offer. We are interested in raising our own food, be it from the garden and or from the animals we choose to raise on the property for food (laying hens, meat bird, pigs and lamb). We have a long history of being on Denman Island and thoroughly enjoy the lifestyle that we are willing to share with you.
Help in the house
The opportunity to stay and learn from our community is a positive experience in the following manner:
- gentle hosts with a small family that lives off the land
- a long family history of living on the island
- a lot of experience in learning to reduce our global impact in raising and/or growing a lot of our own food
- a slow and methodical movement through life with respect to old fashioned family values
During the growing season (May to October) we can use help in the garden, as well as work around the yard preparing for winter. Beyond the garden, spring and summer projects include the annual preparation and collection of firewood; general maintenance for the property; feeding and care for the farm animals, building projects and so on.
At the moment we are working on two types of accommodations
1. 18 x 24 Canvas Wall Tents ( two separate tents available): these are built-up on wood platforms and come with the required bedding and conveniences for single person or double person living including access to outhouses and an outdoor shower
2. 18 x 24 Cabin in the rear of the property (ready for the summer of 2019) with a conventional 750 square foot cabin set-up: bedroom upstairs, outhouse, shower, living area, deck and so on
Meals are simple: we love to cook and enjoy the fruits of our labour. Common daily meals will be prepared from the ingredients provided from the local community and our our hobby farm. Be it seafood (fresh oysters and clams). Pork, chicken, lamb or local raised beef on the BBQ we love to entertain and enjoy our evenings on the deck sitting and watching the wonderful property we call home and all the natural visitors who occupy our yard.
There is a beautiful community for you to enjoy and with the ease of local transportation on the island make it very easy for you to navigate around Denman Island. Additionally, Hornby Island is also easily accessed and provides further local interests for you to explore. These are both small islands with populations hovering around 1100+ people that allow you to step-back in time to when life moved a lot slower in a more relaxed and enjoyable pace.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week