Favourited 2341 times
Want to learn about Tiny House construction?
Some of our best helpers have had no prior experience, just patience and a willingness to be present, learn and take initiative!
Our Tiny House build time is 3 months - so the longer you stay, the more you can learn and the more things make sense.
- Maximum 25 hrs/week
- Usually 5 hrs/day with Weekends off (can be flexible if discussed)
- Usual workday is 9am - 2pm (can be flexible if discussed)
Come make yourself comfy and feel at home. The kitchen is stocked with food and the feel is similar to a flatting/roommate situation. When you're hungry help yourself to the kitchen and everything in it. We used to all sit down and have meals together but we recognize that we all have different flows and so just imagine we are roommates and go with your own flow~
We will most likely ask one of our Workawayers to cook extra dinner or lunch in order to feed us "your host" as well - this would go towards your work time at 30mins per meal.
If the Workawayers want to cook meals together for each other - then this would be done in your own time.
Please tidy up after yourself - and keep the environment clean and tidy.
Michael (Kiwi) and Billie the dogy.
We work from home on our small business of building Tiny Houses.
:::----------WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU----------:::
FREE Unlimited WiFi Internet
FREE Pick Up/Drop off at the Local Bus Stop
FREE Accommodation in exchange for your Help
FREE Food basics to cook from (Seasonal Veggies, Cans of all sorts, Pasta, Eggs, Bread, Frozen veggies, Potatoes, hashbrowns, muesli - We don't eat meat sorry)
:::----------YOUR NEW HOME----------:::
Travelers sleep in a caravan and we sleep in a small cabin just around the corner.
We sometimes have travellers who prefer to sleep in their own vans too.
Please note that this is an alternative living setup utilizing a variety of individual building techniques. Our bathroom is under renovation and probably will be for awhile :) But the toilet, shower and washing machine are still accessible.
The Kitchen area, The Bathroom and your Caravan (which may be shared with other travelers) are all accessed separately via the outdoors, meaning that you will be Indoors and Outdoors during your stay even if its raining :)
We certainly are not your typical home setup so please come with an open mind and be prepared for something interesting and different and definitely not fancy :)
We are a 10min drive away from the nearest town. If you have your own car, awesome! Otherwise, hitching from the main road is quite easy. We also go into town about once per week.
We are crazy - We tend to go in extreme directions. After lots of burnout from taking so much on, we now have a daily schedule and we stick to it so that we can get more efficiency out of our work hours as well as a better work/life balance.
Please understand that we will do our very best to be one of the team. But please also remember that we have to keep driving everything forward with the bigger picture in mind. This being research and development of all the projects, networking, paying the bills and making sure that everyone is happy including all our helpers, neighbors, Business partners, Counsel etc. All while trying to create the environment and cash flow to make this dream become reality.
We personally need to have a break from everything every now and again and our own time to take care of ourselves. <3
Please voice any concerns you have within the environment and we will address them as well as we can. We really want there to be great respect between everyone in our environment.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
A typical day here would look something like this:
- Help yourselves to Breakfast.
- Be ready to work at 9am
- Work on the required tasks for the day - This could be anything from painting, helping to move stuff around/lifting, insulating the tiny house, putting up framing, cladding the outside, roofing, tidying, doing the dishes, helping with electrical wires, sanding, weeding, cleaning the kitchen, cleaning up the property, digging, odd jobs...etc...
If you show great initiative and willingness to learn, then you will be given bigger, better and more exciting jobs.
- Finish work at 2pm or 3pm (if you wanted to stop for lunch during the 5hr work time)
- Chill, relax, go exploring out back on the farm, slackline, socialise.
If you have a car, go and explore all the "Things to Do in our Area" below. - We can provide bodyboards and snorkelling gear.
Please keep everything clean and tidy - The messiest person will most likely be assigned to tidy up after everyone - So please just tidy up after yourself.
You will usually be in a caravan.
Nothing fancy but it does the job.
:::Things to do in our Area:::
Being based in the Northern part of Auckland it means that we are close enough to get to, but far enough away to peacefully enjoy the great outdoors, green nature and beaches that New Zealand has to offer including:
- Goat Island Marine Reserve -- Some of the Best Snorkeling close to Auckland - Fish are Abundant
- Matakana Village and Saturday Markets -- Very Boutique Experience
- Hikes, Bike Rides, Bush Walks -- Diverse variety with Beautiful views
- Relax in our environment -- Beautiful Valley Views.
- Maori Culture Centre -- Insight into Pre-European Maori lifestyle
- Tawharanui Regional Park -- Pohutukawa tree lined beach with surf, great scenery, native wild life and native bush walks.
- Matakana Country Park -- Lovely little Place to visit
- Beaches -- Many Beautiful and Diverse Beaches
- Mahurangi Regional Park -- Great Views and Walks
- SheepWorld -- 39 million sheep in New Zealand, Find out Why
- See the Glow Worms
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: