Want to learn about Tiny House construction?
Some of our best helpers have had no prior experience, just patience and a willingness to watch & learn!
Our build time is 3 months - the longer you stay, the more you can learn and the more things make sense.
- Maximum 25 hrs/week
Come make yourself comfy and set your own routine. The kitchen is stocked with food and the feel is similar to a flatting/roommate situation. When you're hungry help yourself to the kitchen and everything in it. We used to all sit down and have meals together but we recognize that we all have different flows and so just imagine we are roommates and go with your own flow~
We are Michael (Kiwi) and Heather (Canadian).
We have a dog Billie, and a pig named Piiiiiiiiiiiiig.
We work from home on our small business of building Tiny Houses.
:::----------WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU----------:::
FREE Unlimited WiFi Internet
FREE Pick Up/Drop off at the Local Bus Stop
FREE Accommodation in exchange for your Help
FREE Food basics to cook from
:::----------YOUR NEW HOME----------:::
Travelers sleep in a caravan and we sleep in a small cabin just around the corner.
We sometimes have travellers who prefer to sleep in their own vans too.
Please note that this is an alternative living setup utilizing a variety of individual building techniques. Our bathroom is under renovation and probably will be for awhile :) But the toilet, shower and washing machine are still accessible.
The Kitchen area, The Bathroom and your Caravan (which may be shared with other travelers) are all accessed separately via the outdoors, meaning that you will be Indoors and Outdoors during your stay even if its raining :)
We certainly are not your typical home setup so please come with an open mind and be prepared for something interesting and different and definitely not fancy :)
We are a 10min drive away from the nearest town. If you have your own car, awesome! Otherwise, hitching from the main road is quite easy. We also go into town about once per week.
We are crazy - We tend to go in extreme directions. After lots of burnout from taking so much on, we now have a daily schedule and we stick to it so that we can get more efficiency out of our work hours as well as a better work/life balance.
Please understand that we will do our very best to be one of the team. But please also remember that we have to keep driving everything forward with the bigger picture in mind. This being research and development of all the projects, networking, paying the bills and making sure that everyone is happy including all our helpers, neighbors, Business partners, Counsel etc. All while trying to create the environment and cash flow to make this dream become reality.
We personally need to have a break from everything every now and again and our own time to take care of ourselves. <3
Please voice any concerns you have within the environment and we will address them as well as we can. We really want there to be great respect between everyone in our environment.
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
A typical day here would look something like this:
- A couple (or an individual who can look after themselves) to DIG!!!!! We are putting a roof on our glass house and we need strong people to dig the top soil out of the whole glasshouse so that we can move onto the next step of doing the floor. For the floor we will be dropping gravel into the glass house, spreading it around, dropping more gravel, levelling it, etc. The purpose of all of this is to get our common area nice and cozy for the winter!
Please also be available to look after the animals when we are not home <3, make yourself comfy, & at home, be available for any odd jobs that may arise.
Odd jobs example) weeding, painting, helping to move stuff around/lifting, insulating the tiny house, doing the dishes,helping with electrical wires, sanding, cleaning the kitchen...etc...
You will usually be in a caravan.
Please note that you may need to share the caravan with another traveler/travelers. But you will always have your own bed.
:::Things to do in our Area:::
Being based in the Northern part of Auckland it means that we are close enough to get to, but far enough away to peacefully enjoy the great outdoors, green nature and beaches that New Zealand has to offer including:
- Goat Island Marine Reserve -- Some of the Best Snorkeling close to Auckland - Fish are Abundant
- Matakana Village and Saturday Markets -- Very Boutique Experience
- Hikes, Bike Rides, Bush Walks -- Diverse variety with Beautiful views
- Relax in our environment -- Beautiful Valley Views.
- Maori Culture Centre -- Insight into Pre-European Maori lifestyle
- Tawharanui Regional Park -- Pohutukawa tree lined beach with surf, great scenery, native wild life and native bush walks.
- Matakana Country Park -- Lovely little Place to visit
- Beaches -- Many Beautiful and Diverse Beaches
- Mahurangi Regional Park -- Great Views and Walks
- SheepWorld -- 39 million sheep in New Zealand, Find out Why
- See the Glow Worms
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two