Favourited 725 times
We are a community of sweet, simple, nature-loving folks living off-grid on 40 acres nestled in the woods, surrounded by tens of thousands of wild and protected acres.
We have a year round creek that cuts through the land along with a year-round spring that feeds directly into our underground water storage. The sound of the flowing water, the trees dancing in the wind, and the creatures of the forest are the only sounds that you can hear. You can climb up the hills to get spectacular views or take shelter in the valley by the water's edge. We have thick woods and open meadows with trails going in so many different directions. The land is so very beautiful and diverse. We are totally secluded and private yet still only 25 minutes to a "big" happening town - Ashland.
We have two milking mama goats that are due in the Spring, ducks, and a sweet livestock guardian dog. There are also many kids on the land - 2 and 4 year old boys and a 1, 3, 7, 8 and 11 year old girls.
There are currently 6 different structures that are inhabited by our community. We also have a couple of tipis and bell tents and many amazing and private camping sites spread throughout the land along with a couple composting toilets, outdoor shower and an indoor community kitchen/hang-out zone.
We are in an ongoing process of developing and cultivating this land into a sanctuary that will deeply nourish all who come. We love growing organic food, natural building, playing with our kids, community and animals, music, dance, authentic movement, song sharing, celebration, meditation, exploring the surrounding nature and deep connection.
We would love for a few more folks to join our community through the Spring and Summer and partake in the many wonderful things we have ongoing (see below for the list).
Ideally, we ask that folks stay with us for a minimum of 2 weeks.
Help with Eco project
We all have so much to teach and share with each other. We highly value diversity and culture and look forward to creating and sharing in a melting pot of different ideas and ways of living and being. From sharing songs, stories, dance, and music, to natural building, natural dyeing techniques, animal husbandry, wild-harvesting, cheese-making, basketry, gardening and meditation... nature is abundant with resources here - the sky is not the limits!
After resting and nesting through the Winter, we are back to playing, creating, learning and teaching. Here is what we have going on:
- Building an indoor/outdoor community kitchen that will be built into the hillside with a cob oven outside it. We may experiment with hempcrete and river rocks.
- Landscaping and beautification around the 400 sq ft cob retreat cabin we built 2 Summers ago
- Growing lots of veggies in the extensive gardens and greenhouse
- Working in the fruit orchard
- Harvesting firewood/chopping wood
- Harvesting trees for roundwood/timber framing building projects
- Sustainable forest management
- Beautification around the communal zone - shower/hot tub/tipi site
- Animal care - specifically milking the goats
We have an inside communal kitchen/common space, communal tipi and plenty of beautiful and private campsites with tents scattered throughout the land.
- Indoor & outdoor common space (and kitchen) with electricity and spring/well water on tap.
- Outdoor shower and composting toilet
- Cedar-wood-burning hot tub (around mid-June there is a fire-ban, so we can enjoy it up until this point)
- Swimming/dunking hole in the cold creek
- Clean and delicious spring water for drinking
- Fresh, as good as it gets, organic veggies from the abundant gardens!
We provide bulk grains, beans, nuts, seeds, flour, eggs, veggies and basic cooking supplies. We all take turns cooking/preparing vegetarian meals in a rotation for the group.
Ashland, which is 25 minutes away is an amazing conscious and creative southern Oregon hub. It is home to the famous Oregon Shakespeare Festival which people from all over the states travel to see and attracts both a lot of tourists and travels alike.
Ashland is also a hub for dance and arts. There are several ecstatic dance and contact improv jams that happen throughout the week, as well as West African dance classes, to name a few.
Jackson Wellsprings is a hot springs and spa located in Ashland that also hosts music and dance events.
We head into town a few times a week and are happy to take people back and forth with us.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: