UPDATE (from 2020-February): During winter we worked in the guest room under the roof. It does not look like a construction site anymore. Other plans for the rest of the year are ...
The year 2020 will have a focus on water management!
- Our pond needs care. More plants should grow in it. This will ask some shovel-work. The soil from it will create "Hügelbeeten" (raised beds) or as we call them "bananas". There is no better work-out for gaining muscles ;-)
- The rain gutters of the roof shall be relocated so that the water can be collected and utilized in the garden.
- Sometime during spring a garden hut wants to be build. Carpenter skills and tool lovers are welcome.
- - - - - - - - -
We are a couple of two humans living in Balen, Belgium. Since 2015 we own a huge garden were we apply the principles of permaculture. Our garden is source of our vegetarian life-style and (outgrown) hobby, an experimental ground and home for biodiversity. We do not own a car but have plenty of bicycles to fill this "gap". Other types of sustainability are part of our daily life as well. We are e.g. members of the local "transition town" project, try to reuse when possible, decrease our ecological footprint etc.
Instead of watching TV we prefer board games, books, music and internet.
You may contact us in Esperanto, Deutsch, Nederlands or English.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
- learn about permaculture in practice
- discover Esperanto the international language
- maintain and repair bicycles
- creative cooking
- all kinds of garden work, e.g. sowing, (trans-)planting all kinds of vegetables, fruits, trees, perennials; some "maintenance" (e.g. keeping nettles and bindweed in control); scythe the paths; harvesting & preservation (what is your favorite "grandma´s recipe"?!) ...
- little construction projects outside, e.g. making tables, chairs etc. out of pallet wood, "upgrading" some small old bridges, setting up a holistic "water management system" ...
- in the house: helping getting on with the renovation of some rooms upstairs (e.g. "vesting" the walls where now is only the basic structure after insulation) - some experience on this would be welcome; helping with the usual chores is also welcome (washing dishes, preparing meals etc.)
- sometimes there will be "local" people helping as well, ideally some Dutch would be useful to help with children & elderly (but no requirement)
- we have loads of idea´s but usually a hand short; we are also curious for your knowledge & are open for your input to make this place more resilient & enjoyable (it is already good but it can always get better ;) )
In short: if you have experience with or enthusiasm about gardening you are very welcome, as well if you have skills as a carpenter, electrician, renovator, system-thinker, cook or some other craft-ship to give us a boost :)
Esperanto, Deutsch, Nederlands, English
You can choose between having your room with bed & mattress
OR have your private camping trailer in the garden
OR bring your own tent
Our house is located in the "holiday" region of North-Belgium. It is a beautiful area for biking or having a walk or go swimming. There is a train station in our town, so going to the big cities of Belgium for sightseeing is possible.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
about 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: