Favourited 181 times
This is a multi-family co-operative permaculture farm in Sooke. We are developing the farm following the principles of Earth Care, People Care, and Fair Share.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
We offer the unique experience of temporarily joining a small, intentional egalitarian community, akin to a tiny ecovillage. We will happily share our learning about:
- permaculture farming
- raising ethical meat
- unschooling, home learning, and life-long learning
- co-operative structure
- group dynamics and collaborative decision-making
- herbal lore, plant medicine, and living with the natural rhythms of the seasons
- expand your cooking skills, especially with whole foods, traditional diets, and slow food
- hunting and fishing, including archery (though we are still learning!)
- many languages: English & French; some ASL, Spanish, Ukrainian, Japanese
We have limited capacity for volunteers in the SUMMER of 2021. If you'd like to be considered, please contact us and let us know your particular area of interest.
*️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️
Ongoing work includes care of animals (chickens, rabbits, pigs, sheep), helping in the perennial food forest, assisting with the kitchen garden, and sharing learning adventures with kids (four children, aged 10-15).
No matter your skill or interest, there's sure to be a good fit for you — so let us know what appeals to you most, whether that's a skill and experience you bring or a passion for learning more about a particular homesteading area of interest.
Projects or tasks that may be on our to do list — and learning opportunities we can offer
- earthworks, building landscape according to permaculture design principles
- planting trees, irrigating, and managing compost and soil amendments
- caring for farm animals such as chickens, pigs, rabbits, sheep
- mowing with a scythe, ploughing with pigs, and other traditional manual farm skills
- building tiny homes and natural construction buildings, especially using timer framing techniques and natural building materials
- developing marketing materials and engaging in community art projects to support education around resilience and sustainable living
- learning about alternative education options including distributed learning, learning at home, home schooling, unschooling, and forest schooling
- assisting with Food LOOP food waste reclamation project
- helping with weekly farm gate sales (farm stand)
- childminding, adventuring, or skill sharing with youth aged 10-15
- general maintenance and farm labour in the food forest, orchard, kitchen garden, or pasture
- helping with tree management including felling trees, planting watering saplings and transplants, pruning, and chipping
- participating in board games, playing outdoors, and sharing in DIY and Geek Culture with farmers
- exploring music playfully, especially ukulele, guitar, hand drums, and voice
This host offers a language exchange
This host has indicated that they are interested in sharing their own language or learning a new language.
You can contact them directly for more information.
Our accommodations are rustic. Solar and heated outdoor showers are available and there is a river next to our farm property. Composting toilets are available on-site. Public and private showers are available off-site at the local community recreation centre (SEAPARC), a short walk away.
> Workawayers visiting over the summer months may be housed in any of the following accommodations. We ask that you honestly share your wishes or requests so that we can ensure you feel safe and comfortable:
. A canvas yurt with a carpet over dirt floor, with futon or furniture beds.
. A "Boler" rigid camping trailer (see below), depending on availability. We have a small (13-foot) private "Boler" camper trailer, suitable for individuals or couples.
. A VW Westfalia camper van is also available for a individual or couple.
. Tent camping is also an option for shorter stays if we have many people on-site. You will be asked if this is acceptable to you — never placed in a tent without advance notice!
+ Meals are provided with full access to the kitchen.
+ Dinner is provided; other meals are made either collaboratively or independently. Help in the kitchen is both available and welcome.
+ Please inform us of any special dietary requirements in advance.
+ We serve an omnivore menu centred around ethical meat with some vegetarian options; full-time vegetarians may need to supplement their own meals and will have full access to our well-stocked kitchen.
+ Queer and trans-positive... 2SLGBTQQI+
+ Kid-friendly and breast-feeding /chest-feeding safe
+ Omnivore menu centred around ethical meat with some vegetarian options; full-time vegetarians may need to supplement their meals
+ Public transit accessible; $5 day pass grants access to the entire region
+ Bike-accessible via the Galloping Goose Trail
+ Local swimming pool $3 showers or $6 swim + sauna + hot tub
+ 40 km to Victoria or 5 km to Sooke’s town centre
+ Local attractions include: Sooke Potholes, ocean beaches and surfing, hiking trails for day hikes and extended hikes, City of Victoria, whale watching, award-winning breweries (Sooke Oceanside Brewing and Sooke Brewing) and distillery (Sheringham Point Distillery), temperate rainforest hikes, fishing, many fine arts and performance arts events, fabulous independent local coffee shop (The Stick in the Mud) and bakery cafes (Little Vienna, Jenny's Bakery, Shirley Delicious)
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
This host has indicated that they love having digital nomads stay.
This host can provide space for campervans.
This host has said they are willing to accept those travelling with a pet.
More than two
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: