Usually responds within 4 days
We are a Nature Reserve, we care for and conserve an important area of forest and water sources in the vicinity of the PNN Los Farallones de Cali, we have built a model of sustainable and friendly production with the environment, being coffee, honey and eggs from happy chickens one of the of our main products.
We are linked to community processes and initiatives, strengthening ties and strengthening the conservation of the territory.
In our space we develop:
- Conservation and Research
- Environmental education
- Sustainable Production
- Bird Watching
- Mountain walks
Types of help and learning opportunitiesArt ProjectsLanguage practiceHelp with Eco ProjectsGardeningDIY and building projectsAnimal CareFarmstay helpHospitality/TourismGeneral MaintenanceHelp with Computers/ Internet
UN sustainablity goals this host is trying to achieve
Cultural exchange and learning opportunities
Colombia a megadiverse country, number 1 in bird and butterfly species in the world. Valle del Cauca is a region with great natural and cultural wealth.
You will be close to one of the National Natural Parks of Colombia, Los Farallones de Cali, with a great diversity of fauna and flora, an area of water importance for the department.
With your visit we hope to share the experience of living in the mountains, conserving and caring for natural resources. Exchange knowledge in relation to organic and sustainable production, coffee culture, the national drink, fertilizer production and the relationship of the ecosystem in agricultural production.
We will offer the possibilities to exchange with the community and learn about the processes in which we work in the territory.
Paola and Andrés are the owners and coordinators of this project and their support and new ideas strengthen the processes we develop.
In the reserve we have several project fronts.
1. Conservation: It is a space for students or professionals in biology and/or related areas who wish to strengthen the inventories of flora and fauna of the reserve and the territory; developing fauna monitoring, classification and botanical identification.
2. Nursery and gardening: From the classification of seeds, sowing of seedlings and cuttings for reproduction. The support of people with landscape sensitivity is required for the design and implementation of gardens, terrariums and plant care.
3. Vegetable plot: Food security is essential for us and the people who visit the reserve. Organic production and permaculture are the basis of crops. The activities that are developed are: harvesting, weeding, planting, fertilizer, insect control and transplanting.
4. Fertilizers: It is the heart of production, we are continuously producing organic material as food for crops; compost, purines and microbial broths. The exchange of knowledge in this space is essential to enhance the efficiency of fertilizers.
5. Coffee cultivation: 5,000 coffee trees, cultivated in semi-shade, are continually pampered, from the maintenance of each tree, fertilization and harvesting of the sweet national fruit, drying and selection of the coffee bean. Activities that require a lot of time and dedication.
6. Bees: The queens of the forest, pollinators and producers of honey. We visit the apiary periodically to ensure that everything goes well, having the accompaniment of another person is essential for safety and as support to move material, control the smoke from the smoker and at harvest time extract honey.
7. Guidance and attention to visitors: The reception of the public to share the experience of the different processes that we develop is a frequent activity. We guide you through one of the trails that is characterized by around 12 interpretation features. Depending on your skills, you will be able to interact with the public from the reception to the accompaniment in each tour that lasts between 4 to 8 hours, seeking to make your visit as comfortable as possible and that the exchange of information is very productive. It is also an excellent space to practice different languages with foreign or national visitors.
8. Happy hends chickens: These feathered beings that share their eggs with us for the kitchen. Every day we cut plants that are food for them, as a complement to their diet, they go out to graze, we change their water and periodically clean the place where they sleep and of course we must collect the eggs twice a day.
9. Construction and adjustments: The physical structure always requires maintenance, from painting, adjusting screws, maintenance of steps, bridges and railings on the trails. We are open to new ideas and we are inclined towards the bioconstruction technique.
10. Communication: Communication networks are the main channel of information on the actions we carry out in the reserve. photographers/videographers with experience in marketing and management of social networks (mainly Instagram), who can develop audiovisual pieces and content that aligns with our brand.
11. Arts and sculpture: It is an aspect that we want to potentiate, intervening the spaces with artistic elements, from sculptures to paintings on walls, which embellish every corner of the reserve with shapes and colors.
12. Kitchen and food: It is the space where all the energy of those who inhabit the reserve converges, a meeting place and creativity. The exchange of flavors and the cultural mixture always gives rise to new experiences. Welcome everyone who wants to share their tradition in our kitchen.
13. Neighbors and community: In the territory we participate in collective processes, weaving ties and strengthening ourselves together. From gardening, bioconstruction, work on crops, photographic registration of products and/or services, are some of the activities that we carry out in scheduled meetings. Your contribution will be of great value in these spaces.
This host offers a language exchange
We love the English, French and Portuguese language. We are willing to learn and of course share our Spanish.
We have a space for indoor camping, a platform overlooking the forest, where the sound of the river will accompany your stay.
If you have a sleeping bag we recommend you bring it, it is a bit cold at night. We provide you with the tent, a mattress, sheets and blankets.
There is available a shower and sanitary batteries that will be shared with the visitors.
Food will be prepared together, we will agree on schedules and menus.
What else ...
In your free time you can enjoy the forest and the diversity of fauna and flora that inhabits the place. Relax in the river and contemplate the forest from the net that we have suspended in the trees.
We love photography, cinema and dance. We also walk the mountains and do bike rides.
The reserve is located very close to the city of Cali, just 25 minutes away by public transport, you can schedule small outings and visit its emblematic sites, explore the gastronomy, culture of the valley and the Colombian Pacific.
- Public transport to get to the reserve works with schedules from 6 am to 7 pm.
- The time for volunteering must be scheduled in advance.
- The consumption of cigarettes and psychoactive substances, legal or illegal, are not allowed in our space.
- Helping hours are 5 hours a day.
- The preparation of food is shared, we will jointly agree on the schedules and the menu. Vegetarian options are important.
A little more information
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Can host digital nomads
The internet connection is not the best but it is enough to send emails or manage social networks
How many Workawayers can stay?
4-5 hours/day, 5 days/week
Gracias Julia, te esperamos en una próxima!