I have an immediate vacancy from now - ideally this will be for somebody able to stay for a few weeks
This is a large Old Rectory close to the Norfolk Broads and 6 miles from the coast. I am 20 miles from Norwich and 12 from Great Yarmouth. There is a shop and a pub in the village but the nearest town is 5 miles away.
HELP NEEDED TO CARRY OUT FOLLOWING TASKS
- Feeding animals and cleaning stables, henhouses and fields - twice daily if possible ( approx time 1-2hrs max ). This includes clearing horse muck (2 horses, a pony and a donkey). Heavy work moving hay and straw bales and feed sacks
- feeding, cleaning kennel and walking 2 dogs - Spaniel and Labrador
- Sweeping and clearing terraces, paths and tennis court
- Leaf sweeping
- helping in the garden - at this time of year bulb planting and flower bed tidying - all supervised
- very heavy work sifting and moving compost.
THE SKILLS YOU MUST HAVE
- Good English. It is essential that you understand English and can follow instructions as from time to time you will be alone and in charge. You must also speak reasonable English though I will help you improve.
- You must be able to follow instructions and be confident around all animals but especially large horses in an open field. You do not need to be able to ride but you must be prepared to learn to handle the animals.
- There is a lot of heavy carrying and lifting so you must be physically fit and strong. I am reluctant to take a girl at this stage unless you really are strong and are prepared for hard manual work.
- You must be able to cook and look after yourself
- you must be cheerful, flexible and willing to learn.
- I am looking for somebody willing to commit to be here for a few weeks and able to start straightaway
We try to keep to a schedule of working either 8am - 1pm OR 9am - 2pm with breaks for coffee/snacks etc. The rest of the day is your own time but you may be asked to lock up the hens or walk the dogs in the evening if you are around.
However because the jobs are outside we have to be flexible and each day is different depending on the weather and/or particular tasks and projects that need to be completed.
The animals need daily care and this is top priority and if I am away you will be required to look after the animals before taking time off.
I do a little bit of B and B and run a cottage an hour away so life is busy and I may ask you to look after a guest from time to time ( very rarely). This is why it is so important that anybody coming is prepared to be flexible ( as am I!)
I ask for a 5 day trial to ensure I feel happy that you will fit into my home and equally that you feel comfortable here.
- This placing does not involve housework but you will be expected to be clean and tidy and respectful towards the house help. I ask that the kitchen floor is swept and cleaned daily if at all possible- we all help with this. We all live in the kitchen most of the time including the dogs and cat and so it is important that it is homely but clean and tidy!
- This is a no smoking house although you are welcome to smoke in the gardens.
- Your own comfortable room (double bed)
- Shared bathroom with ample hot water
- All food and drink. When I am here I will cook some of your meals but you must be able to cook for and look after yourself. I am busy and out a lot.
I will ensure that you have the food you like - with plenty of fresh meat, vegetables and fruit. You will not be hungry!
We will eat together sometimes but not all the time so you must be happy to shop for food and cook ( I will buy anything you wish to eat - within reason or provide the money for you to shop for yourself!)
- Unlimited Internet, access to Netflix and a wide selection of DVDs and play station games as well as an enormous collection of books which you are encouraged to read to improve your English!
- a comfortable sitting room with large wifi television, mini rig ( for your
I tunes or I pad) if appropriate
- Clothes washing and drying facilities
- If you are over 25yrs and have a clean driving licence and have been driving for over 3 years I MAY be able to lend you a car from time to time but this is used by others and I would need to be happy that you are confident and safe. There are quite good bus links and train service to London/Cambridge and Norwich. There are bicycles you can use.
I will welcome you into my home as a friend and make you feel as comfortable and at ease as possible.
I am sorry I can't take children and I am only looking for one Workaway so NO couples please.
This placing would be the most ideal for a more mature Workaway with own transport and a wish to pursue their own interests. I have previously had writers, bird watchers and people just wanting a bit of 'time out' to reflect on their future.
It is not a good placing for someone wanting lots of people and community living as it is quiet and peaceful and rather isolated.
Good luck with your travels and I hope to hear from you!
ALL best -
I will help you improve your English but it is important that you have a very good level of understanding as you may be required to take sole charge of the animals
You will experience English family life and meet a variety of different people
Immediate help needed in garden -
Help in the garden/fields clearing horse muck and feeding animals, walking dogs etc
House sitting and looking after the animals if/when I am away.
own double bedroom and separate bathroom within the house.
The Norfolk Broads is an exceptionally pretty part of England and I am in the centre of a holiday area.
There are good train services to London and Cambridge and if you hold a clean driving licence a car might be available. A car driver is essential.
This is a very rural area with no city life nearby but Norwich accessible by bus/train or car
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
5 hours per day but flexible (max 25 hours/week)