I live in Lille with my daughters aged 16 and 14. I am a teacher of French as a foreign language. We are fond of music. I play violin and my daughters play violin, harp and recorder. My daughters attend an international school. We are very interested in meeting people and discovering other cultures.
Lille is a very nice and historical town that I am sure you will enjoy. Another advantage of Lille is that it is very well situated: one hour by train from Paris, 30 minutes from Bruxelles, 1h30 from London, etc.
We are non-smokers. We have a cat, which means that this position is not suitable for people with an allergy.
Babysitting and creative play
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Living with us will give you the possibility to practice the French language and to discover the life of a typical French family. You’ll also soon make friends with other people, as Lille is a big town with many students and cultural activities.
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
I am looking for a nice girl or woman who could help me every day after school :
pick up the girls from school, bring them to the music school or to their sport activities, help them with their homework, cook meals, etc. My daughters are already big girls, but they still need a lot of attention. I need someone to share with me the daily tasks. As my daughters attend an international school, they can speak English with you. So there is no need to be fluent in French. But if you speak French and want to practise it, it is the perfect position for you. Driving license is needed !
It is obvious to me that you won't be just a babysitter but a member of our small community, which means that we'll be happy to share time with you ; playing music, having fun or just talking and sharing our experiences.
Your room is on the 2nd floor of our house. There is a bathroom on this floor, and another one on the first floor. My daughters generally use the bathroom on the first floor. You'll share the other bathroom with me.
There is so much to do in Lille or the area during your time off. Here are a few suggestions:
- visiting the town, especially the part called "Vieux Lille", which is the historical part of the town
- visiting some famous museum: Louvres-Lens (a branch of the Paris Louvres museum), modern art museum, La Piscine museum (a museum founded in a former swiming pool), etc.
- walking or riding bicycle along the numerous canals, which can even bring you to Belgium
- climbing to the top of a so-called "terril": an artificial hill constituted by extracting coals during the 19th century, which is typical of our region (registered as world heritage by the UNESCO)
- driving a sandyacht at the sea side
- discover the regional typical dishes: carbonnade flamande, numerous cheeses including the the famous "maroilles", Flemish waffles, etc.
- having a drink in a typical "estaminet" (local pub) or at a café terrace
- attending the Braderie at the beginning of september.
Our house is not far from the town center. You can walk there or take the tramway (about 10 minutes to the town center and to the railway stations Lille-Flandres and Lille-Europe). You can also hire a bike, which is very cheap.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week