Favourited 69 times
We are a Nature Reserve and non-profit initiative for the study of native Colombian orchid species. As advocates of the nature preservation, we initiated a process of ecological restoration and introductions about the native fauna and flora through different media.
We offer lodging in two cabins and in a private room, all the buildings on the property are eco-friendly. We also offer bird and orchid watching tours, and orchid culture courses. We are located in an Andean mountain, 5 minutes away from the town of Tenjo - Cundinamarca and a 45 minute drive away from the capital city of Colombia, Bogotá.
Help with Eco project
Help with Computers / internet
The town of Tenjo is a 17 minute walk away from our property, there you will find many restaurants, cafes, museums, a local farmers market, artisan shops, a church, and a nice bar. The tourist information office will be glad to inform you of the cultural events taking place. You can take the bus to the neighboring town Tabio to visit and enjoy the hot springs and horse-riding, which is a 15 minutes drive from us. Or take the bus to the town of Zipaquira and visit the salt-cathedral. If you wish to stay in the property, there is a billiard table, plenty of board games, a BBQ, chimney, plenty of books and various trails to hike in the nature reserve and learn from birds and orchids from us. Even hike all the way to the Peña de Juaica, a mountain famous for supernatural occurrences. We hope you'll be able to enjoy nature and connect with it and yourself.
According to your abilities and preferences informed in the interview, your tasks can be:
- Help with the web content on our social networks.
- Crafting of specific structures (for example, birding tower, plant-tables for the greenhouse)
- Upgrade the eco-trails (signalization, railing)
- You will not be attending guests, however.
Please tell us if you have special skills that can be helpful to our initiative and are not contemplated. We'll rather have you enjoy your volunteer work e.g. cooking for the team, photography.
Spanish, English, a bit of German
What we offer:
- You'll be accommodated: in a cozy cabin with private bathroom, hot shower, biodegradable soap, shampoo; also towels and bed sheets. If you are travelling with a friend, we can accommodate up to 2 of you.
- We'll offer you breakfast, a little snack at 10:30 am, lunch and dinner, full use of all the social zones in the property, unlimited filtered water, tea, coffee, etc.
- You can wash your clothes with our biodegradable detergent.
- Well give you 3 tours: Orchids and bird sighting, Tenjo town and surroundings, Tabio town
- We are vegetarian friendly and speak a little bit of German too.
How to arrive:
- From Bogotá airport:
Take an uber to the portal 80 (about 20000 COP or 7 USD) or take a transmilenio bus to the Portal 80 (M86 from Aeropuerto el Dorado to Can; B16 from Can to Avenida Chile and D22 from Avenida Chile to Portal de la 80). There you can take an intermunicipal bus to Tenjo. We can pick you up at the town or you can ask the bus assistant to stop at the "Pavera" an walk up the way to us. If you let us know with enough time in advance, can arrange for you to be picked up at the airport.
- From Bogotá Terminal Satélite del Norte: Outside of the terminal, take the Aguila or Tisquesusa Buses to Tenjo.
- From Bogotá Centro Comercial Portal 80: Outside of the mall, in calle 80, take an intermunicipal bus to Tenjo (the Flota Águila or the Flota Tisquesusa buses).
-From Bogotá (any place) take an Uber to Tenjo (about 80000 COP or 25USD)
- Age 21 or older
- Respectful of different ways of living
- Willing to respect and connect to nature
- Have an appropriate travel-insurance
- Our volunteers will not be allowed to remain in our property under alcoholic intoxication or consuming illegal substances
- Allergy warning: We have two belgian shepherds. Please inform us beforehand of any allergies.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 6 hours a day, 4 days a week- max 25 hours/week