We are looking for a workawayer to start in the beginning of September or sooner. Currently we are making trips back and forth between Waterloo and our cottage on an island in Muskoka, and our workawayer would accompany us. We are a family of four in Waterloo, Ontario looking for a French speaker to help improve our French speaking skills. We are fairly close to the University of Waterloo. Waterloo is about two hours away from Toronto by bus and train, or one hour from Toronto by car. It is a university town so it is a vibrant community with many young university-aged students. Waterloo is also known as "Silicon Valley of the North" as it has many tech companies including Google.
Babysitting / child care
Help in the house
I (the Mom) have ESL teaching experience (in South Korea) and FSL teaching experience (in Canada) so if you would like to learn English, I would take that very seriously and help you in your time off, as would the children. We are very serious about language learning in general. We would be happy to talk to you about Canadian culture. There is also a brand new train system in Waterloo. Depending on how much time is available we could do some touring around town. During summer and fall, our workawayer would go to our cottage with us which is on an island near Huntsville, Ontario.
I (the Mom) am looking for help with my French language skills, especially help with my accent, conversation skills, and help doing an interview in French. I would also love it if our two kids could hear more French spoken in the home. We require a native speaker of French, meaning that French is your first language. The person coming to stay with us would have to be comfortable speaking to a 46 year old woman for at least two hours straight, correcting her mistakes, and trying to help her develop a proper French accent. The workawayer would also need to be able to help two children ages 8 and 10 with their French-language homework, and play with the children in French. I may also need help with folding laundry and organizing the basement.
Requirements Of The Workawayer...
- Workawayer's primary role : teaching French
- we prefer a non-smoker and non vaper
- must not be allergic to hamsters
- help make the schedule for your 4 hrs per day for 5 days a week
- you would have be in bed with lights off and quiet by 11 p.m. as your bedroom would be down the hall from ours and we need to work early in the morning, plus we have children. If you need to come home late from time to time, we can accommodate that, but not often.
- keep your own room clean even on days off
- clean up after yourself, even on days off - avoid creating extra housework for the Mom - she has enough already
- go with us if we go on vacation - this would be in Huntsville Ontario and it is on an island. You would have your own room but it is an island so you would really just hang out with us, or you could find a nice spot outside for reading. On these vacations, there is no internet during the day at all. But we have Internet at night. In Waterloo we have internet almost all the time.
- during the four hours of work, speak in French only, unless it's a special situation
- actively play in French with children, for example, sitting on the floor, if you want, playing with playmobil, engage in imaginative play with stuffed animals and dolls, make the dolls speak in French, etc., or think of other ways to engage with the children in French. Even if you are not the type to sit on the floor to play with the children, if you can engage them in some way in French, that would be wonderful.
- model good manners for the children, for example, use polite language
- be vigilant about speaking French during "work" times
- motivate kids to engage with you in "active" French language play, games, or conversation
- we do not believe in spanking or slapping children.
- help us minimize screen time for the children in a positive way
- avoid using tablets etc. too much in front of the children. You can use it in your room though or when they are in bed.
- during your help hours, for example, during the four hours of help, if part of your responsibility is to help entertain the children, we would like that play be "active" play, not "passive" (like not watching t.v. or playing on the tablet)
- during off hours, allow the family to help you reach your goals. For example, if your goal is to learn English, let us help you.
- if there is a particular type of food you would like, let us know
- the Workawayer must be comfortable enough to correct the Mom's pronunciation and choice of words during the Mom's French lessons
- do not let the Mom get away with saying things incorrectly in French
- help the Mom prepare for interviews conducted in French
- help the Mom learn French songs for children
- Beyond teaching, there may be other household maintenance jobs to assist with, such as gardening or painting. If you are working with the Mom on such tasks within the four hour work time, please do so in French.
French and English
House. The workawayer would have their own room. The workawayer would eat with the family. The workawayer can use our wireless internet connection.
On the workawayer's time off, she can choose whether she wants to speak English with us, or more French. We would need to know about the workawayer's goals. There would be plenty to do as our home is close to a nice library as well as two universities. There are many young adults in Waterloo, because of the University of Waterloo and Laurier University. Check out "ION light rail" on the GRT (Grand River Transit) website, it is brand new.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 4 hours a day, 5 days a week