Come teach English!
We are a non-profit educational institution that focuses on teaching English to children of the Northern Vietnamese province of Tuyen Quang. Our aim is to improve the community’s English language skills which will aid in the development of the region. From providing jobs related to tourism to bringing international business relations, and to shaping a more worldly and educated youth, the center is helping bring Vietnam into the modern age.
The center has been open for 2 years and in that time, we have taught hundreds of students. Currently, we have 3 locations: the main school in Tuyen Quang city, a school in the nearby town of Son Duong, and another in the town of Nghia Lo in Yen Bai province. We teach students ranging from 4 to 18 years of age and we also have an adult class. The center is also active in the community and provides extracurricular activities, free English classes at local schools and temples, and collaboration with other English centers for larger events.
Help with Computers / internet
As an English teaching volunteer, you can help teach classes, provide an enriching cultural exchange, and create language confidence. Volunteers teach up to two classes per day, five days a week with lesson preparation. You will be working with our professional staff of English-speaking Vietnamese teachers and with a classroom of up to 15 students. A minimum of 2 months is preferred.
To be a volunteer you should be able to communicate fluently in English, be adaptable to the conditions of rural Vietnamese life, be willing to take on the responsibility of teaching, and have an upbeat, professional attitude when dealing with staff, students, and other volunteers. *️️️️️️️️️️️️We do not require any teaching qualifications or university degrees.
In return, volunteers are provided the following:
- Accommodation in the schools’ guestrooms. These are shared rooms with queen sized mattresses, wardrobe space, air conditioning, wireless internet, and use of bathroom, kitchen, and washing facilities and common areas.
- Two large and healthy home-cooked meals per day - lunch and dinner. Tea, coffee, and purified water also provided. *️️️️️️️️️️️️Vegetarian OK
- Use of the schools’ motorbikes. Free lessons and helmets.
- Vietnamese culture exchange: free language courses, invitations to dinner/parties with locals.
- Meeting like-minded travelers and going with them to exotic, beautiful locations in Northern Vietnam
October to December 2017
January to March 2018
Many of our volunteers take trips around the region during their days off. Besides use of our motorbikes - which are the best choice to see beautiful, close-by landscapes and villages - public transit in the form of road buses are readily available. The following locations are must-sees while you are volunteering with us:
- Hanoi: 4 hours by bus to see Vietnam's capital. French architecture, Vietnamese museums and monuments, a fantastic nightlife, and great food, Hanoi is the "Paris of the East"
- Ha Long Bay: 6-7 hours by bus to one of the UNESCO World Heritage sites. The limestone stacks jutting out of the sea are a memorizing site and the water sports around the area are great too!
- Cat Ba Island: 8 hours by bus and ferry, Cat Ba Island is the number one vacation destination for international tourists and locals alike. The island features white sand beaches, verdant rain-forest hikes, and a colorful dining scene.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Volunteering at our center is more than just working. Since we offer you accommodation in our home, you will experience Vietnamese culture in the best way possible. During your stay, you will become part of our family; you will share in meals and drinks with us and can go to any local parties/get-togethers we attend. Besides that you will share a lot of time with the other volunteers who live here too. They come from all over the world from Europe to America to even other parts of Asia. We take pride in our multinational household. And not to mention our Vietnamese-born teachers, young men and women who are fluent in English and have loads of information about life in Vietnam. By living together for a longer period of time, we know for sure that you will create new friendships.
Maximum 2-3 hours a day, 5 days a week