Who are we?
We are an English Centre! A suburban network of teachers, volunteers and members of the local community. In 2012 we were a just small English club set up to exchange knowledge and teach English in Me Linh, suburban Hanoi. In 2013 a group of students expanded this idea and the Center was established. Now, younger generations here in the suburbs of Hanoi can access practical English lessons with English speaking volunteers from all over the world. We are also a social enterprise for education development in Vietnam. We work in communities training, tourism and education.
We believe that education is key for development in Vietnam, therefore we aim to create an open and fair learning environment for all communities regardless of economic status. We provide some free classes, as well as low-priced English lessons for all ages in rural areas of Hanoi. Our priority is in helping students to overcome their fear of learning English and to achieve their dream of communicating with foreigners fluently. We also hope to empower the local people of Me Linh through enabling them the opportunity of getting a good job in an English speaking environment. We believe that your contribution can fuel these aims, bringing many benefits to our local community and society.
Here at the centre we enjoy creating a social and multi-cultural environment for both volunteers and Vietnamese people. You can discover the wonderful Vietnamese culture and customs through home-cooked meals, traditional suburban landscapes, daily life and local festivals. Whatever your background we welcome you here, and hope that you will learn new skills through your experience of teaching in Suburban Vietnam.
Do you want to make a difference through helping people overcome a fear of learning English? We welcome English speaking volunteers from all over the world to do just that.
How it works…
- Ideally be able to commit to volunteer for 3 weeks or more
- Lead English lessons with the help of a Vietnamese teaching assistant, working with children and adults in the suburbs of Hanoi (Me Linh, Dong Anh, Soc Son district) and in Vinh Phuc province.
- Help to increase work capacity and teamwork skills for Vietnamese youth and students in community activities
- Sometimes participate in our English club, a fortnightly event where you and the other volunteers will encourage up to 500 students to speak English through playing games, singing songs, dancing and winning prizes. You will meet lots of different friendly, open minded and funny people of all ages. We will discuss various topics, learn about each other’s culture and share stories about ourselves.
- Prepare resources such as flashcards, audio clips, textbooks or handouts for you.
- Support you with teaching and translation during lessons
You can ask for guidance and ideas from other volunteers and teaching assistants, or if you are confident you can prepare plans by yourself. Your lesson plans may be shared so others can learn from your experience.
Maximum of 20 hours/ week dependant on how many volunteers are currently working here. During the day, you will have a lot of free time allowing you to travel, explore and meet with friends in Hanoi or surrounding areas. Sometimes we schedule day trips or picnics that volunteers, staff and students can enjoy together. If you would like to travel somewhere in particular we are happy to help you arrange your trip.
Upon completing your volunteer work here we will award you with a certificate to recognize your teaching efforts.
We are located in the countryside of Hanoi where you can enjoy a rural environment surrounded by fresh air, many fields and animals.
In exchange for your work we will provide:
- Free shared accommodation with other volunteers.
- Shared bathrooms (with hot water)
- Kitchen room with fridge and gas cooker
- Balcony with view of the fields and gardens
- Free fast Wi-Fi
- Free coffee, tea, drinking water and hot water
- Free gym ticket
- A bus pass entitling you to free travel (only for volunteers staying longer than one month)
Please be aware in the winter months (December - Feb) it can get cold here, and there is no heating in the house.
A bit about Me Linh:
- There is a stadium close by where you can partake in sporting activities such as football, volleyball and running. Sometimes, there are some traditional festivals for the community to enjoy.
- There are nearby markets and supermarkets where you can buy fresh produce and integrate with the friendly locals.
- We are a short drive from the airport and a short walk to the bus station (bus 07,56,58,64) which makes it easy to travel to Hanoi center and other interesting areas around the city. In addition, you can drive a motorbike to Hanoi center in just 30 minutes.
- Volunteers are often invited to visit local families for drinks and food to learn about traditional culture.
- You can drink beer, play pool and sing karaoke in one of the many local bars.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4 hours a day, 5 days a week
My Photo Album