Favourited 27 times
Hi! We're a French American Irish family of five. We live in the city of Rabat, with our 3 teenage kids. Steve is a former writer who now works in culture and education. I am Pascale and my world revolves around performing and healing arts as well nomadic living. We live in a beautiful Moroccan house, with a vegetable garden, 6 chickens, 3 ducks, 2 beehives on our rooftop, 1 rescued dog and a few stray cats who like to hang out here. I also run a small Kombucha business. We have been living in different parts of the globe for the past 15 years. In fact, I started volunteering at age 19 and have worked with minorities, from refugee camps in Jordan and street kids centers in the Congo to building a sweat lodge with a SunDance shaman... Steve and I are both busy this coming school year, I will be traveling quite a bit and it just makes sense to share the goodness of our place with someone who wants a home away from home and is happy to take on responsibilities around the house!
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
You get to stay in a beautiful home, live the 'urban farm' lifestyle, in a nice and chilled city. We are not a Moroccan family but foreigners do find a home away from home here that has no price at times. That being said, our hub has a rich culture just in itself and we are directly involved with Moroccan culture. You'll get to know about the art and culture scene. We have Moroccan friends you can meet. We go surfing a couple times a week. If you're into contemporary dance, contact improv, yoga, music jams, improv theater and the like we will connect you with some beautiful networks and communities.
I will be traveling on and off for 2-6 weeks at a time over the coming school year (October 2019- May 2020). There will be times when I am home and available for my family, but you will run the show when I travel.
You're a good fit if:
- You feel home! You will become a part of the family. We love welcoming people and (we think) we're fun. Do you have some experience living with other family structures?
- You are playful with a good dose of rational thinking, management skills and willingness to get the work done. Are you openhearted and openminded, engaged and responsible/confident?
- You can drive (to bring the kids to surf and soccer and go grocery shopping)
- You are over 21 years old.
During my travels, we need you to:
- Be there when the kids are home from school and Steve's at work. Most Monday-Friday (4-7pm) + 1-3 evenings a week + 1-4 overnights a month (Steve occasionally travels throughout the country) + possibly 1-2 weekends a month.
- Manage their schedule and after school activities until Steve is back from work.
- Cook healthy meals. Do you like cooking, being creative or supervising kids cook? Our kitchen is vegan friendly (I'm a vegan) but if you cook healthy meat dishes, they will eat it.
- Occasionally help with homework.
- Go grocery shopping when needed.
- Supervise the kids chores, like helping around the house and with the animals. We all participate but you often have to remind the kids!
- Make sure our animals get their basic needs met (easy and fun).
- Play with the kids. We all get a bit silly here. how's your sense of humor? Do you like cards and boardgames? Do you have any art form or skill you can share with them? We like to make up stories, improvise challenges, do AcroYoga as a family, etc. We have a grand piano, guitars and other instruments.
- Basically, you want to keep them off their screens, engaged, safe, with their basic needs taken care of.
- We have a cleaning lady come twice a week so beside some basic daily cleaning there isn't much to do (unless you happen to be a cleaning fairy).
Some amazing plus would be that you:
- Are interested in making kombucha. Then I would teach you and you can keep the brew going and use my little fermenting lab while I'm gone!
- Have skills or interest in beekeeping and vegetable gardening (we have a gardener but his knowledge in these areas is limited).
Fluent English & French. Some Spanish & Arabic
We have a big house walking distance to the center of Rabat (Hassan neighborhood). You will have your own bedroom. We provide you with food of course. We're close to the tramway, shops, restaurants, the movies. The medina and the beach are 30 minutes walk or 5 minutes taxi ride (taxis are cheap here).
We're in Hassan neighborhood, close to the tramway, shops, restaurants, the movies, all these are walking distance. The medina and the beach are 30 minutes walk or 5 minutes taxi ride (taxis are cheap here). There's a swimming pool club right next to us so if it's open, you're welcome to go.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week