Our Reserve (Reserva Natural Palmarí) is an ecolodge facility, 40 kilometers outside of Leticia, in the midst of the Brazilian Amazon. With our Ecolodge we intend to bring people closer to nature and offer our guests a wide variety of tours inside the Amazonian Rainforrest (walks from a few hours to multiple weeks), on the Javari River and around several communities.
The reserve operates also as a project which supports multiple indigenous communities by offering employment opportunities and supporting with various aid projects. Furthermore, the Lodge functions as a Research Center as well as an Animal Aid Shelter and Release Center for local, illegally traded or injured wildlife.
Since there are no streets around, there is no exact address. You can always find us on Google Maps:
Latitude: -4.289624756622079 and longitude: -70.29396056878909 .
We are on the Brazilian side where only the Javari River divides us from Peru.
If you would like to have some more detailed information, you can always check us out on our website, instagram or facebook!
Helping with Tourists
You will have the unique chance of combining your wish to visit and live inside one of the most biodiverse places on earth. You will live closely with locals, build friendships and explore the Amazonian rainforest for more than just some days. And trust us, it is worth exploring!
Above we provided some outlines of our project and what we do:
Now about you and your "obligations"! Since we are located in the midst of the rainforest working with mostly local staff, we are in need of assistance with the translation between our guests and the staff. We like to say about your future work: "Our volunteers are the bridge between local staff and guests". Your job is primarily to help make our guests feel at home and be there with everything they want or need (=> Guest Relation).
This means roughly (of course there will be more): Show the guests where they sleep, tell them where to find our bathrooms and how they work, explain to them their activities and most importantly: translate (this means also translating on the tours the guests do ;)). If you have experience in Hospitality that would be great!
Since you will have some responsibilities, we also have some requirements about you:
- Please, only apply if you are fluent in Portuguese OR/AND Spanish AND English since your main work will evolve around our guests who mostly don't understand Spanish or Portugese.
- Please, send us your CV, a short motivational letter, your yellow fever vaccination proof, copy of your passport (we know, it is not usual on workaway, but we are in need of some informations before, since we will put a lot of effort and trust in you) and a picture of you (whole body, standing, informal) for the insurance
- For the same reasons as above we only host from 6 weeks to 3 months (unfortunately, if a longer stay than 3 months is desired, the applying volunteer must obtain a specific work-visa)
- The rainforest has a rather extreme climate. Be aware of it before and ask yourself if it is the right place for you to live for some while.
We are fairly new on workaway that is why we don't have any recommendations yet, but don't hesitate to ask and check out the reviews of other volunteers on our website, trip advisor or facebook!
You will live in our Malokka, a big house designed in the traditional way of our locals, on a mattress on the floor with huge mosquito nets around you. You will share the Malokka with other volunteers and guests. Unfortunately, we cannot offer you your own room, but trust us, the sounds of the rainforest around you, will be worth it.
(You can see in one of the pictures the Malokka you will be sleeping in)
- Of course, we will provide for you. You will eat with our staff or guests three times a day.
- We will make sure that you get to us, this means we will pay your flight ticket Bogota-Leticia-Bogota or Manaus-Tabatinga-Manaus or the boat ticket from Iquitos-Santa Rosa-Iquitos
- During your stay you get amazing volunteer T-shirts, a head lamp, a raincoat, rubber boots, .
- We have our own, private IP satellite connectivity, but sometimes itit is affected by interruptions and you won't have internet for +/- half a day. Furthermore, it is not suited for Netflix, but Skype, WhatsApp etc. works fine.
- You do not have to pay for any tours or day trips. During your stay, you will have everything for free.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week