We are a British couple of retirement age who have been living in southern Spain for 25 years, in a region called the Axarquia, the comparatively unspoilt stretch of the Costa del Sol, east of Malaga City. Our modest house and your separate guest casita are in rural surrounds, 10 minutes drive from Lake Viñuela, 20 minutes drive from beaches at Torre Del Mar and 45 minutes from the airport and train station at Malaga. We have cats and regular rescue foster dogs but they won't come into your accommodation. We are happy to host a single person or a couple.
DIY and building projects
We would truly appreciate if, when you write, you could outline any experience relevant to the Jobs we need help with, which include:
1) A large garden that needs regular and on-going weeding, strimming, general maintenance, sweeping and tidying.
2) The exterior of the house and a couple of outbuildings, plus a retaining wall, were last painted four years ago and require freshening. We need someone who would be dedicated to see it through, a minimum of two weeks, including some decorative and under porch areas.
3) We have a flat enclosed area sometimes used as a puppy run, which needs a new concrete base plus an extension for a shed base.
4) Some flat, tiled terraces could do with top-up re-grouting - please only if you have previous experience of this.
5) A garage needs emptying, cleaning and painting inside, then things replacing.
6) Later in the year we may 'improve' some additional animal quarters previously used as chicken shacks.
7) We run boat and dolphin trips out to sea and, if other work is finished for the day and your sea legs allow, might ask you to help out or come along for leisure.
8) We have a fortnightly stall at a small but busy organic market selling Moroccan products and visit that country on a regular basis. If you are here at the appropriate time, you may like to help on the stall or visit Morocco.
9) Maybe roadying for my husband who plays in a rock band locally and regularly - only if you feel like it.
10) I work for an animal charity so, if time allowed, you may want to get involved with helping at events or market stalls.
Please note our priorities are mostly outdoor activities including painting, gardening, grouting on the terraces and laying a small concrete area. Next on the list will be work on the inside of the garage as detailed above. You are welcome to join the other activities outside of work hours, even inside if and when the other work is finished. Also, we are not asking for help with our pets at home or hands on with the rescue animals.
During the months of July and August, since temperatures are high, we suggest you have breakfasted and be ready to start work by 8:00h in the mornings, leaving afternoons free.
The accommodation on offer is an independent guest casita with an open plan bedroom / lounge / diner / kitchen and a separate bathroom with bath and shower as shown in the photographs. The casita has its own small terrace and access to the general terraces and private pool.
Your fridge and cupboard will be stocked with ingredients for making your own breakfast, snacks and lunches and, depending on our working hours and mutual preferences, four days a week - Mondays to Thursdays - I would cook dinner for us together. Just as you have Saturdays and Sundays free from work, since I have other committments at weekends, I would like Friday to Sunday evenings free from cooking please! Our cuisine is simple and healthy, mostly organic ingredients, but we would find it difficult to cater for a vegan diet.
You would be expected to keep your accommodation clean and tidy outside of work hours.
The Axarquia area benefits from a good year-round climate and there is heaps to do and see locally plus good access to other areas of Spain and Morocco. Rather than list everything here, I could send a website address with details of towns, maps, attractions, fiestas, beaches, national parks and loads else.
In sight of our house, although not within walking distance, are the Karma Guen Buddhist retreat centre, who have open days and courses, and Kalachakra Stupa with free and open access.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
25 hours per week per person, normally 5 hours per day Mondays to Fridays but can arrange to give you extra days off for sightseeing, visits etc