At the moment we are full. I'll let you know when we have free slots again.
WHO WE ARE: We are a team of 35 teachers, among them 4 Englisch teachers and 1 Spanish teacher.
WHO WE NEED:
We need outgoing, self confident yet patient persons. In people over 22 / 23 we've mostly found these character traits. However, younger persons only rarely have them - seems to come with age... So we do prefer people over ...say...22. If you have some teaching experience that is an asset, but not a prerequisite. If you are younger, please ask yourself whether you are really ready for the challenge.
We've had the volunteer programme running since January 2013. So far we've always had one to three workawayers at a time working at school, all in all we've arrived at 55 completed stays. We usually take in one English native (or C-level) speaker and one other person. As the second volunteer we prefer Spanish speakers with good English (B2 or higher) knowledge.
We have discussed our programme in the team and introduced some changes:
- you will get a schedule for the first 5 workdays that shows you when to be where with whom. It'll be 90% job shadowing only, so that on the 5th day we can sit together and determine where you can contribute best or learn the most.
- from your 2nd week on you are going to work according to your real work-schedule, the one we've worked out together on day 5.
- every second week we'll have a 30-60 minute get-together to discuss problems that might have occured or explain things that you did not understand. That's also the time when you can discuss your ideas with us.
Penzberg is home to 17.000 people from 76 nations (at the last counting), an active and open-minded town. Check out the various activities you'll be able to endorse in (skiing, ice-skating, cross country... in winter and hiking, climbing, mountainbiking, swimming, sailing, rafting etc. in summer). Culture is also strong in the area and if that's not enough: Munich, Bavaria's capital, with its 1.6m inhabitants, isn't far away: just one hour by train or half an hour by car.
The breathtaking landscape around the town of Penzberg make it a worthwhile experience for any teacher or teacher-to-be who likes sports or music, theatre, crafts or gardening with kids and teens.
"WE" are a school - so where else can you find 250 different German personalities? You'll live in one or even two (or three) different German families, often with experience in hosting workawayers. They all have children and thus you'll be able to pass on some of your cultural background and it will help the kids and the staff to enlarge their points of view. There are enough narrow minded, xenophobe people in the world. Let's give the children (and us teachers) a chance to remain or become openminded and make a difference to the world!
Wanna help achieve that?
Then you are right here!
The teachers and other pedagogic staff at our school are a dynamic team of about 35 people. We accompany approx. 200 pupils from 6-17 to achieve their learning goals.
We have installed our workawayer programme for various reasons:
1. We want sparring partners for our pupils to test their foreign language skills without them realising that, what they are doing, is training. So our volunteers have to be there during various lessons AND ESPECIALLY DURING BREAKS, be interesting, answer questions and ask some.
2. We often divide groups up into small subgroups with a special exercise or task to work on. We need people to look after such groups. However - you won't teach a whole class by yourself! That's not allowed we don't want to replace teachers with you. You are assistants - kind of adding the sparkle to our lessons.
3. We have some students with special needs (learning disabilities like dyslexia, kids with conspicuous habits and some with physical disabilities) who need a little support now and then. On the other hand we have some gifted students who need you to fight their boredom, because they are at times underchallenged.
4. We run various projects throughout the year where we need the notorious second pair of eyes. Also if you have a special hobby or skill you want to pass on - feel free to offer that!
5. In the English classes of the upper level, we sometimes need a second teacher to assist with exam preparation (orals) and to supervise free work lessons in English.
6. In the intermediate level classes we need a native speaker now and then to give our students a taste of "the real thing".
7. We want enrichment in terms of culture and personalities. The century we live in requires people with cultural knowledge! We appreciate your own ideas about how you can improve the lessons and life at school (sing, dance, handcrafts....). We like the exchange with people from everywhere and we want to hear what you think not only but also about the way we teach - we appreciate your criticism!
8. Sometimes we need you to fill in for ill colleagues, but that happens rarely and you can deny it if you don't feel up to it.
9. There are also tasks like producing materials e.g. card games, preparing/tidying up before and after lessons, shoveling away the snow in winter or brooming the playground (together with the students), too. We also offer projects for our 7th-graders. If you like gardening, building things or carpentry you might want to help there.
At school we want you to speak English or Spanish with "hands-and-feet" only! Don't let them trick you into speaking German! Understanding German is "allowed". We have found out that it is extremely helpful if you understand, not necessarily speak, some German (A2). And it helps if you speak it, when trying to keep up discipline...
Whenever we take in someone, it needs a little time and some effort from our side to work you in. What's more, YOU will need time to establish a good contact with the children. So we only take persons who can stay six weeks or longer. Otherwise it's not really a benefit for either you or us.
You will help between 15 and 25 hours per week at school mostly with one free day. The rest of your time (0-10 hours/week) will be dedicated to tasks with the host family (mowing the lawn, helping with shopping for groceries, maybe some babysitting, that kind of thing)
GERMAN, Swiss German, English, Spanish, French, Italian (at school)
We offer free accomodation in a host family (single room, shared bathroom, meals if requested).
When we agree upon you staying with us, I'll find the family for you among the parents or the colleagues. If you are unhappy there, you can tell me so and I'll find another family! During longer stays, you will usually "be shared" by different hosts. Organising a good accomodation for you will be my pleasure!
You're entitled to a warm lunch at the school canteen (Mon-Thu) and all the other meals at your host's. Vegetarian diet is standard choice, "vegan" means "salad only" on most days... Transport is generally at your expense, except for transport to school and back for which you will be reimbursed.
VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
Please check on the principles of Montessori education, before you apply. Of course we will try to answer all of your questions, but you should get some idea of the particular way of learning, so that you can decide whether you might fit in or not. There is one YouTube video I can recommend: Type in fast draw and "Montessori Madness"... And then there are thousands of articles about it. If you know some German our website might also interest you. Try montessori-penzberg/schule. de
If you stay more than 5/6 weeks and you want to take over a project of your own, you need a "clean-police-record-paper" of your country, whatever it is called there. In Germany it is a "Erweitertes Führungszeugnis".
Unfortunately there will only be a lot of experience to take home and a certificate stating what you did at our school, but usually no money. I'm very sorry, but our school is chronically underfunded. There is, however, a slim chance that after having been a good volunteer we might offer you (in case there are vacancies) a paid job. This of course only works if your German is at least a B2 level.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
20 hrs. flexible between Mon and Fri, 8 am to 3.30 pm.