Hi Workawayers, I am Aras (30) a local from Battang Village, Palopo, South Sulawesi, Indonesia. We need help with environmental, nature conservation and building human resources in our area.
My village is in a mountainuous area, 12 kilometres from Palopo Town and still including to administrative area of Palopo town. You will pass my village on your trip from Palopo to Tana Toraja regency.
Our organisation manages and maintains a tropical rainforest area which covers 1.617 hectares granted by the Forest Ministry of Indonesia Republic for 35 years later. By educating the local people to be more productive as a community, we demonstrate how to use only natural resources. Such as wood, bamboo, rattan, palm etc. In order to avoid man-made materials.
We are trying to organize an eco-tourism object, agroforestry and sylvofishery, camping ground, trekking access, river tubbing and many more. Forest watch system (protect the forest from illegal logging and build fire-free system) is also one of our target to build. We need helps about how to run and manage these all. The government can't help more to build. Great ideas from worldwide travellers about how to run and show us the best way to organize these is all we need.
The purpose is to develop community welfare by non-timber collection (avoid community to do deforestration) and get benefit from tourism object we are struggling to build. So, we will make sure the forest area to be kept protected to produce health natural environment with good human resources.
I'm a plants and insects lover. I can accompany for butterflies and moths identification with their hostplants and breeding researches.
We can do lots of things in this village. Camping, hiking, trekking, jungle exploration, meet with local with their culture, hanging out in the town and exploring Tana Toraja in the weekend or visiting more attractive but non-touristic places like natural waterfalls, valleys, top of the mountain and even entering natural caves. For you who love meditation, I have a good friend who knows very much about meditation. He will always ready to share the knowledges and experiences of him.
Working time and type are flexible, not must be minimum 4 and maximum 5 days in a week with 3-4 hours/day.
We charge 3 times meals a day for $3.
This is to make sure there is nothing goes wrong with meals availability and type of meals.
We can provide common Indonesian meals type.
Rice, fishes, tempe, tofu, various vegetables, noodles, eggs, combined with traditional foods as your wishes.
In the weekend workawayers could go holiday around the city, about 15 kilometres from the project or go to Tourism region, Tana Toraja.
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help with Eco Projects
Help around the house
Workawayers could learn about the local culture, local language, see the local daily activities (working in the garden, the process of making sugar from palm trees, invited for butterfly sightseeing around the river and waterfall, moth trapping process all the night (I myself who is the guide). Lepidoptera breeding, I can show the real Sulawesi butterfly and moth species, life-circles, how to treat them, know their hostplants.
If you are luck in your time, workawayers could attend in a local wedding party, birth celebration or funeral ceremony. In a free time you can visit formal and non-formal school and interact with childrens around. You can enjoy beautiful panorama of the town, ricefields with mountainuous panorama and the city. This must be enjoyable and very exciting.
- Permaculture, organic farming guidances, showing how to make an organic fertilizer, organic pesticides and herbicides and plants treatments for farming and plantations.
- Showing how Recycle System looks like, make arts things from recycled and natural materials around.
- Design and Setting up facilities for tourism object such as flying fox, butterfly dome cage with the enclosure (this is my most dream, if there will be a guy who has the experiences about this) fishing pond area, the garden around the pond, home stay structures.
- Workawayers who could bring plant seeds and the equipments for gardening (flowers, vegetables, planting gloves) are appreciated.
- For workawayer who has passion in art (painting, craft, music, etc), feel free to tell us everything you need and we will always give our best to provide them.
You can show even teach the process of making art to the local.
This host offers a language exchange
This host has indicated that they are interested in sharing their own language or learning a new language.
Please contact them directly for more information.
At the moment we have 2 different areas where workawayers could choice where to do their activities:
- Pond area, closer to main road to Toraja, we just need to across a river. There are fish ponds in this area. We are breeding Koi fish at the moment. As accommodation, 2 simple small rooms and the facilities (mat, bed, sheets and pillows available) shower and compost toilet available. This area is very close to a river where you could washing and even swimming there. The river has clear water. Electricity is available but still uncovered by network connection.
- Gardening area in the hill, about 500 meters from main road to Toraja, far from busy. In this area workawayers could adopt their real gardening skill. You can plant vegetables, trees, flowers, etc. A simple accomodation available with shower and toilet. This area is where you will always meet the farmers, watch their acivities in an agroforestry land including how to make sugar from the extract of arenga pinnata. From this area we can access some camping grounds with their nice panoramas quickly. This area is covered by 3G network connection. Electricity from small capacity of a solar panel in the accomodation.
We are still upgrading to complete all the facilities, especially make sure our's workawayers's privacy kept. The situation of these 2 area are very calm, far from noise and busy. You will only listen to the 'nature's songs'
Workawayers could choose where they want to live after see the accommodation directly. My house which is located in the side of main road is also available for workawayers. Locals are always welcome and friendly to foreigners.
I get internet connection all the time so I can give reponse quickly. In the time off helpers can do their own activities (cleaned up clothes, tidying their room, making interaction with the locals, preparing the meals, etc)
Various transports always available in this village. Hitchiking, public mini bus and taxi. But we recommend workawayers to directly contact us when arrive in Palopo City so we can pick them up. Our team will always available even for last minute workawayers.
Please make sure your schedule/plans before sending request. This is important for us to arrange everything with your coming. We expect serious volunteers only.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
Maximum 4 hours a day, 4 days a week
In developing countries (Where most hosts are involved in charity work or community development) some of our hosts may ask for a small donation to help the host family or charity (often less then 5 dollars per day) Workaway will allow this listing when the donation goes directly to the family or charity and is just to cover the cost of the volunteer‘s stay. (This will be clearly marked on the host listing).
We will strictly not allow listings posted by agents, “middle men” or projects who we feel are looking to profit from a volunteers stay.
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: