Favourited 121 times
My name is Wisnu, I am 46 years old. I am a lecturer at one of university in Sumatra-Indonesia. My wife is Rosa. We are open minded persons. We live in a small town in Sumatra. Sumatra is one of the largest islands in entire Indonesia. But it is often less-visited by tourists compared to Bali and Lombok. Actually, Sumatra offers a completely different side of this vast and amazing island and some areas are still covered by gorgeous primary rain forest which Sumatran tigers, elephants, and orangutan still call home.
When we talk about unique culture, Sumatra is promising circumstances. You can travel to Lake Toba in North Sumatra to learn about Batak tribe way of life, or visit West Sumatra which is the home of the Minang Kabau tribe who runs a matriarchal society. Wherever you choose to travel in Sumatra, you will find welcoming spots that allow you to immerse yourself in traditional Indonesian life and culture. To get more information about traveling in Sumatra you can search in google Top 10 places must be visited in Sumatra.
Our home is about 30 minutes from the International Airport by a taxi or Grab car. We create an English Community for adult students that is called Green English school. My project is helping local people by teaching them English. Through workaway I love to have volunteers from different countries around the world who wants to contribute their ability to help my students to improve their English.
Living and learning in beautiful nature while practicing English with international volunteers is the goal of this school. The volunteers can join my students and help them learn English by engaging in conversation and games with them. Asking questions and get to know local students and their culture through language. Students meet as a whole group and practice discussing speaking points, then break up into smaller classes. Join the opening activity and join a smaller class and share your skills.
I dream of running this school for 2 very important reasons: 1) to create better opportunities for local students for greater access to employment in the global community and 2) to prevent deforestation in Sumatra by giving understanding to local people to stop selling out the land to create palm oil plantations, which is harmful to the environment.
HOW TO GET HERE
If you come to Sumatra-Indonesia by airplane from Singapore or Malaysia or some cities in Indonesia, please take a flight to International Airport Sultan Syarif Qosim II Pekanbaru Riau. After that, you can take a taxi about 30 minutes to my home. Another option please ask my WA number and send me message I will pick you up at the airport.
Help with Eco project
Living with my family, they can get a new experience about the real local culture of Sumatran. Many things they can do while they are living with us such as teaching English in our community, come and meet my students in my university, learn how to cook Indonesian food, hang out with our students, meet local people, learn their habits and language, and visit my eco/edu-tourism project in my village.
We need humble and friendly volunteers who can speak English well to help us in :
1. Motivating (training) students to speak English at my English Camp.
2. Training the students to speak English and introduce their food, culture etc.
3. Helping the speaking show in the public park.
4. Training English in nature and playing games.
Note: Because they are involved in teaching activities, They should bring one “appropriate clothes for formal activities”.
Indonesian and English
1. Maximum stay for volunteers in our place only one week. For your information, the workawayers usually stay with us only 4 or 5 days after they visit several tourist destinations in Indonesia. They just use the rest of their time to stay in our place before they fly to Malaysia or Singapore to leave Indonesia. Or they can stay with us for one week before they continue their journey to some areas in Indonesia.
2. Workawayers will stay at my home, in a single, comfortable bedroom with free Internet hotspot and they are free to use the washing machine. I will provide free local food for them as long as they stay with us, but If they miss western food they can go to international restaurant nearby such as KFC, Fizza or Mc. Donald.
3. There is also a motorcycle that they can use to go somewhere to buy something they need, but If they cannot
ride motorbike, we're ready to help them whenever they need.
Note: Please bring your own toiletries and towel with you.
During they stay with us, they can go around in my town to visit beautiful park, museum and public library. They can follow me to my university to immerse yourself with the students activities in my campus. If they would like to go somewhere I am also ready to accompany them or they can use Go-Jek online application to get cheap transportation cost wherever they go in our town.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week