We bought a farm! Our small farm is on Highway 37 (the Stewart-Cassiar Alaska highway) near the village of Kitwanga, BC. In 2019, our first year here, we invested in some basic infrastructure and tools and planted two small test gardens, which were successful. In 2020, we are planning to start working toward becoming a Market Garden, and actually make a small income off the farm. Our focus in 2020 will be greens for sale, and storage veg for ourselves and gifting and trade. We also plan to harvest wild edibles. We plan on planting more fruit trees. The farm is naturally full of indigenous fruit - saskatoon berries, roses, wild apples, wild cherries, and more. We're experimenting with different crops each year to see what performs well in our climate and soil.
We're looking for help during the busy times of year: planting, and harvest time (March - October).
Most of the work on this farm will be development for the next few years - we will be developing soil and building a lot of infrastructure for the future. If you enjoy actively working land, operating tractors, and building/ carpentry work, this phase of our farm development will be a lot of fun!
NOTE - we "free school" our two kids, they are a constant presence on our farm and are part of our farm. We have beautiful views!
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help with Eco Projects
Help around the house
We live in a mostly Indigenous Canadian population and are surrounded by nature and history. We can share our knowledge of farming and nature.
We are near parks and lots of forest, have a creek, and are near clean rivers
Types of tasks and help we need urgently (in no order):
* CARPENTRY - farm and farm related structures from simple bracing and platforms to more complex buildings, to shelving. Will be building or re-building wash pack, cold storage, root cellars, and more.
* PLANTS - propagation, transplanting, pot-ups, plant-ins.
* FIREWOOD AND WOOD CHIPS - chip up branches, buck up trees and pile for future firewood. All the trees are felled by a professional faller.
* COMPOSTING - creation of teas, compost piles
* BED PREP - Prepping beds - till (if needed), adding compost, tilth, add drip line, add cover (if needed) and transplant or direct seed.
* IRRIGATION - assistance building irrigation systems, ponds, field irrigation
* MACHINE WORK - fields need plowing (first time ever plow), tilling (to break up sod), brush mowing, compost pile building, trenching, etc
* PASSION PROJECTS - wood fired hot tub build, cabin or yurt build, sauna build, trails, fun garden creation
* MECHANICS - Maintenance and repair of machinery
* PAINTING - Building and machinery painting and re-painting
* HARVEST and WASH PACK - Starting mid-May, will be doing initial harvests
We have an RV, and lots of places for tents if you prefer. We look forward to meeting travellers.
We offer shared lunch and dinner on days when we're working together. We provide food for you to make your own breakfasts and meals on your days off.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
We have strong highspeed that runs off our cell phone network. It works well for video conferencing etc. We have 2 wifi areas on the farm.
We can provide power and water, and the sewer can be dumped on site as well.
More than two
4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week