We are a family living on a permacultural farm. The farm is located 180 km away from Rio de Janeiro, on the border of Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais.
The size of our farm is 38 hectars, 20 hectars are rainforest (Mata Atlantica) and there is a river also, our focus is preservation and reforesting.
At the moment here live 2 adults and 3 kids and we are constantly receiving visitors, who are looking for an alternative lifestyle in harmony with nature. We produce part of our food organicly and we bioconstructed the main house, which has a community kitchen, living room and a bathroom. Water- and electric energy providng is completely off-grid.
Babysitting / child care
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Travellers can learn a lot about permaculture, organic food and fair trade from us.
The next small village is 6 km away. it is a typical small brazilian village with helpful and curious people,you will have the opportunity to get to know real brazilian life.
The region is known as Serra da Beleza (mountain range of Beauty) with a lot of waterfalls and historically important because of the Coffee Era.
It is possible to travel from/to Rio and Sao Paulo using public transport.
We are looking for an creative Waldkindergarten educator to explore our forest with our 2 older kids for 1 or 2 hours a day.
We also need help to finalize our house and with planting/gardening.
Portuguese, German and English
Camping with own tend or shared room
There are some co-living basics :)
- please wash the plate you used (yes, unfortunatelly we need to say this...)
- please do not leave garbage behind, when you leave. A big part of trying to live sustainable and in harmony with nature is about lower our consumption and getting conscious of our waste. Plastic is not recycled in Brazil, so please think before you take a plastic bag in a shop.
- we have limited ressources, we need people who really are looking for an alternative lifestyle and want to come to help us. If you can bring some fruits, vegetables or whole grain food to colaborate it would be very helpful to receive more volunteers.
- as we generate our whole electrical energy, please be conscious that we can run out of energy, that is not always possible to charge your mobile phone, tablets or other things. It is an interesting exercise to slow down, get offline and rethink about how many electrical energy you actually use every day without noticing it.
- we have no phone and here in this region there is no cellphone signal.
- There is no bank or cash machine in Santa Isabel.
- We have 4 lovely and social cats and 1 dog.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week