Favourited 233 times
We are looking for a live-in caretaker at Oahu's first nonprofit farmed animal sanctuary. We provide refuge for farmed animals in need and work to foster a culture of compassion towards them through public engagement and education.
The Sanctuary is located on 2-acres of agricultural land overlooking the majestic Koolau mountain range, providing sanctuary to over 30 rescued animals, and is home to a sacred Hawaiian spring. As we expand and develop the facility, we hope to rejuvenate the spring, continue to clean and restore the land, and offer a holistic education encompassing our Four Pillar Values, animals, community, education, and sustainability.
We are a vegan animal sanctuary searching for a candidate (one person or a couple) who are hardworking, have a passion for working with animals, and enjoys off-the-grid, simplistic living. Located on the beautiful island of O’ahu, this is a tropical glamping adventure.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
In this experience, travelers will learn about animal care, sustainability, and native and tropical plants. This experience will connect you to the rescued residents and our mission to foster a culture of compassion for these often misunderstood and underrepresented creatures.
This position supports the day-to-day operations of running a farm animal sanctuary. We ask for a 3-month commitment as this experience requires training. Due to the nature of our rescue work, animal-derived ingredients are not permitted on site.
Weekly tasks include assisting in animal caregiving shifts, helping special-needs animals, administering medications, gardening, landscaping, weed-whacking, hosting community workdays, online help, special projects, construction help, maintaining a clean facility, and more. See below for additional information about the various tasks!
- 20-25 hours per week of work
- Monday-Friday, off Saturday and Sunday
- Must be available 8 am-4 pm Mon-Fri to assist in on-call animal caregiving shifts
- 3-month minimum stay
- Animal Care: feedings, medical care, assisting in transport, assisting in emergencies
- Landscaping: weed-whacking, harvesting bananas, maintaining the compost pile, watering plants
- Building Projects: assisting in construction projects
- Online Help: responding to emails, research, and more
- No animal-derived ingredients on-site
- Maintain a quiet and cleanly environment
- Respect for Sanctuary mission
The work-trade caretaker is provided with an 8x8 raised structure, tucked away under our mango tree. The walls of the shelter are made of a mesh screen material, creating a nice breeze and open feeling. Past travelers have enjoyed watching the rain, birds, and wind through the comfort of their shelter. The work-trade caretaker unit features its own outdoor kitchen, outdoor hot shower, and a solar generator and solar panel for charging basic devices such as a fan, laptop, or phone. The bathroom is a portapotty to which visitors and volunteers also utilize. For internet connection, caretakers often use mobile hotspots by their cell provider and have not reported any connectivity issues. See below for additional information regarding accommodations provided.
- 8x8 shelter w screen walls
- Rechargeable fan
- Solar battery
- Lap desk
- Mattress, sheets, pillows
- Towels, kitchen towels, rags
- Outdoor sink
- Propane stove w mini oven
- Cooler for refrigeration
- 4 airtight bins for non-perishable food storage
- Knife, utensils, plates, dish rack
- Private outdoor propane hot shower
- Shared outdoor porta-potty
- Manual washer for clothes
- Produce composter
- Outdoor sitting area
The Sanctuary is adjacent to hikes, farmers markets, beaches, a beautiful tropical garden, Kailua town, snorkeling/kayak adventures in the pristine Kaneohe Bay, and more! The island of O'ahu has a wide range of activities available for every type of traveler.
- 3-minute walk to the bus stop
- Thorough and easy to navigate
- 15-minute drive to the closest beach
- 30-minute drive to Kailua town (beautiful beaches)
- 20-minute drive
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week