Favourited 166 times
*****2020 is pretty open for us aside from these dates when we are out of town: January 23-27, Feb 24-March 1, and April 2-5 ***** February is booked.
Come stay & eat with my husband and I in our second bedroom in our Urban Loft in Chicago, IL - USA in exchange for simple housework. We are a young couple in our late 20's interested in connecting with others around the world. We want to learn more about your culture and introduce you to ours.
A little bit about us: I have my own digital design agency and my husband, Chris works as a software engineer. We both met horseback riding. I lease a horse and love animals (although we do not have any pets). We love eating good food, photography, and good company.
Sorry in advance, if I can't get back to everyone. We get a flood of messages. If you are serious about staying with us and I haven't responded the first time, please send a follow-up. Note: we only host a few workawayers a year (not back to back) because we like to travel ourselves and are not always home.
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
As a cultural exchange, workawayers will get to experience a huge metropolitan city that holds a lot of diversity and culture. We are born and raised Chicagoans and can show you our favorite parts of our city. We live in a booming area that has a lot to offer and are a short train ride away from downtown. My husband is a software engineer and I am a graphic/digital designer. We would be happy to talk to you about work, life, and invite you to go out with our friends.
We are looking for help with simple household tasks:
+ laundry (clothes and bed sheets)
+ sweeping/vacuuming the floor
+ helping clean up the dishes after meals
+ cleaning the bathroom (wiping down mirrors, cleaning the toilet and shower)
+ grocery shopping/running errands
+ helping with cooking at times (but we will also cook 1 meal a day for you!)
Each task can be done at different times of the day. We are flexible with when you want to work or if you want to switch your hours. If you want to explore Chicago during the day at do these tasks at night vice versa that is okay with us. You would help no more than 5 hours of work per day.
English, Very little Italian
You will be sleeping in our private guest bedroom that includes a queen bed (couples welcome) and a huge closet. We will share a bathroom and will provide you with your own towels. The kitchen will also be shared. You are welcome to do your own laundry in our space. We will give you your own set of keys for the time being and show you our neighborhood. We also have a rooftop deck with a grill to hang out in. We have working a/c & heat.
We require each guest to stay a minimum of 1.5-2 weeks.
We will include 1 meal per day (either breakfast, lunch or dinner). We are big foodies and sometimes go out to eat but if we happen to be busy or out...you can help yourself. We eat and shop mostly all organic. We typically make these types of meals:
- mushroom/asparagus risotto
- chicken tacos, veggie tacos
- guacamole, elotes
- home made pizzas
- chicken picatta
- veggie burgers
- fruits and veggies
- avocado toast
- roasted tomato toast
- tortilla soup
- squash soup
- quinoa / buddha bowls
In your time off you can do so much in the summer time:
- hit up our neighborhood for cute boutiques, restaurants and coffee shops (Andersonville)
- Downtown Chicago skyscrapers (go up to the 95th floor at the Series Tower & John Hancock)
- Lakefront path for running and biking
- Chicago beaches (Montrose Harbor, North ave, Oak Street)
- Chicago Museums (MCA, Art Institute of Chicago, Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium)
- Millenium Park, Grant Park
- Lollapalooza music festival in August
- Go to a Sports Game (we get free tickets to the Chicago Cubs!!!! and can take you to a game)
- Chicago Festivals (look up guides there's so many! Like the Windy City smoke out, Chicago Blues Festival, Taste of Chicago, Randolph Street Festival, DoDivision, Wicker Park fest).
- Concerts (Chicago Theatre, Aragon Ballroom, Northerly Island)
- Movies in the Park (free)
- Green Mill Lounge, Kensington Mines
- Great nightlife (chill bars, rooftop bars, clubbing if that's your thing)
- Amazing food spots in every neighborhood. We are a big foodie city
- SUP board on the lake
- boating/sailing/jet skiing on the lake
- Boutique workout classes everywhere (pilates, air yoga, barre, hot yoga)
- easy gym access in our neighborhood
- Kickball, volleyball leagues
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week