Favourited 22 times
Our place is a small farm set on 37 acres of rugged jungle terrain and sits at 2,200 - 2,600 foot elevation (average year-round temperature of 72 degrees) in the south central mountains of Puerto Rico near the town of Utuado. The farm used to be a coffee farm but had been neglected for many years. We are in the process of regenerating the property using organic and permaculture principles. Our long term goal is to become self-sustaining, promote food security, and become a model for other locals. We also hope to develop the property into a small group retreat center. Our property is about 25 minutes drive time from the center of town and situated at the top of a rugged road, so your opportunities to leave the property will be limited. However, we do go to town once or twice a fortnight and we do make trips to local swimming holes/waterfalls as well as beaches.
- lots of fresh cultivated food and fruit in season including wild berries and other fruits and plants that grow wild in the jungle
- fresh air and natural spring water
- peace and tranquility
- high speed internet (we do not have a TV)
- opportunities to visit local swimming holes and waterfalls (some within minutes of our property)
- opportunities for beach visits and some overnight beach trips
- opportunity to learn and/or improve your Spanish
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help with Eco Projects
Help around the house
The farm is quite isolated but you'll have opportunities to interact with our closest neighbors who speak very little English. You'll also have some opportunities to travel around Puerto Rico to visit other farms, beaches, and waterfalls/swimming holes.
Workawayers will help with:
- clearing trails and hillsides with tools like a machete, weeding sickle, weed trimmer, and occasionally a chainsaw if you have experience.
- general property maintenance
- road maintenance (the road leading to the property is dirt and requires regular maintenance)
- Creating terraces, paths and steps
- planting, growing, and harvesting vegetables and fruit.
- small DIY projects
- specialty projects like solar and spring captivation
- photography and videography
- cleaning (maintaining common areas)
- cooking (associated with any shared meals)
- you'll generally be working 3-5 hours/day 5 days a week. Schedule will vary depending on projects in progress, season, and weather.
- we are looking for hard working person/s who don't mind physical tasks that can be hot and dirty at times. You'll be using a lot of hand tools like shovels, hoes, rakes, pick axes, etc. You'll be doing a lot of walking on steep roads and trails. We currently do not have an ATV/UTV, but we do have a pickup truck. Temperatures are fairly mild but you are going to sweat a lot because of the humidity.
- our property is very steep with paths and roads criss-crossing the property... so you'll need to be fit in order to enjoy the full experience.
- you'll need to be an independent and a self starter
- we lead very busy lives and while we will like to socialize, there will be many times that we'll be focused on our own projects.
- we recommend you have your own primary source of income from a part-time online job or other source. Some minimal compensation may be offered to those who are staying for an extended period.
- we live a healthy lifestyle. No smoking or recreational drugs. Alcohol and fermented drinks in moderation are fine.
You'll be staying in an old coffee processing house that has a bunk bed and a bathroom. You are welcome to eat whatever foods we generally keep on hand, but if you want something different then you can purchase your own food. We are flexitarians and eat mostly a whole food plant-based diet with as few refined or packaged foods as possible and occasionally meat and dairy.
For additional details about the property and this work opportunity, please visit our website.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
We are digital nomads ourselves and spend part of the day at our computers and part of the day working outside or exploring the surround trails and ridges. We have very reliable redundant internet connections along with some pleasant work spaces.
Maximum 3-5 hours a day, 5 days a week