Favourited 2763 times
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Our volunteers contribute their creative energy and talent at our busy jungle hostel. We need help with customer service, English instruction, yoga instruction, cooking, cleaning and photography, in addition to help with special projects! We are looking for outgoing and positive team players, ready to join our hostel family in the jungle. Please read on to know more about the hostel.
MORE ABOUT US...
We are located in the Panamanian highlands (on the main road between both oceans) on more than 30 acres of rain forest (cloud forest) and re-purposed organic coffee farm. We are also the deepest private reserve within the La Fortuna nature park. We are a youthful backpackers hostel at heart, but due to our unique location within the reserve we have also hosted scientists, nature enthusiasts, birders, etc. There was even a new species of salamander discovered here and named after us! :)
Because it is one of the only pieces of titled land, the community is looking to us to develop tourism. For this reason we want to employ as many persons from the local community as possible, so volunteers are not simply used to cut down our labor costs. All volunteers help out with customer service roles, working alongside our Panamanian staff, and sometimes helping us with other cool projects that help grow our vision.
Minimum commitment length we are looking for from volunteers is 1 month. During the initial 2 days the volunteer will stay as a guest to get a taste of what it is like to live in the jungle. During this time a volunteer can decide if they are comfortable with the conditions. Volunteers start work on the 3rd day.
It is free to work as a volunteer with us, after the initial mandatory 2 day stay as a guest. You will be charged for the first two nights of accommodation as a deposit, which will be reimbursed in the form of credit on your volunteer tab at the end of your stay with us (the tab usually consists of items consumed during your volunteering like snacks or drinks in the bar). We look forward to sharing the experience of living in the jungle with you.
THINGS TO ENJOY WHILE HERE...
- Free accommodation in a shared dorm
- Free breakfast!
- Free yoga classes (When available)
- Half priced family dinner
- Discounts on other food and drinks.
- Half-priced laundry
- The social atmosphere. Meet people from around the world, and become part of our hostel family.
- Our treasure hunts and games (free and you can win prizes!)
- Miles of hiking trails (free)
- Nightly activities in the bar like trivia or Foosball competitions.
- Organic coffee and wine tour/ Horseback riding tour. Meet locals and experience their way of life in rural Panama. The tours are half-priced for volunteers, or Free for long term volunteers (have stayed for at least 2 weeks and can commit to at least a total of two months or more).
- Practice your Spanish when working with our local staff members, and help them practice their English!
- Guided hikes through the jungle at night (upon donation)
- Lots of nearby areas to explore, including the local community, warm and sunny river canyons, and majestic waterfalls.
- Nature and wildlife (always free!)
Please contact us for more information about available volunteer positions and to request our VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM. Please DO NOT apply if you are under 22 years of age, and NO couple accounts.
We have been hosting volunteers for over 10 years. We look forward to hearing from you!
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
Every guest who comes here directly contributes to the lives of our 10 full-time and 6 part-time Panamanian staff members; all locals from the Hornito area (population 1230).
We put a strong emphasis on language exchange as part of our professional development program for our Panamanian staff at the reception, to help them develop skills in the tourism industry.
If you would like to help us with our professional development program but you are not certified to teach English as a second language, a role at the reception will be a good fit, as you will work along side our staff members who are learning English.
Our volunteers help with customer service, and with various projects that shape the long term vision of our popular hostel.
- General volunteer (help with customer service and entertaining guests)
Positions available now.
- Yoga Teacher (experienced, certified applicants only & we will require references).
We offer 50% commission. Positions available from MAY.
- English Teacher (experienced, certified applicants only & we will require references).
Position available NOW.
- Lead Volunteer
This is a role available for volunteers who have stayed with us for at least 2 weeks already, and must be able to commit for at least 2 months. Extra perks included! Email for more info!
VOLUNTEER PROJECTS (depending on volunteer abilities & experience)
- Gardening (we grow vegetables on the property and we also like to work on creative landscaping projects).
- Art projects (usually painting murals or signs).
- Games and events
- Photography and social media
- Something else? Let us know about your special skills and talents!!
CAN'T STAY FOR ONE MONTH? We are also interested in making short term exchanges with experienced photographers!
English and Spanish.
Volunteers stay in shared accommodation with the guests
You must have you profile filled out on Workaway and please write us an email for our volunteer application form.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
5 shifts per week (max 25 hours)
In developing countries (Where most hosts are involved in charity work or community development) some of our hosts may ask for a small donation to help the host family or charity (often less then 5 dollars per day) Workaway will allow this listing when the donation goes directly to the family or charity and is just to cover the cost of the volunteer‘s stay. (This will be clearly marked on the host listing).
We will strictly not allow listings posted by agents, “middle men” or projects who we feel are looking to profit from a volunteers stay.
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: