Favourited 1054 times
Hello and thank you for visiting my profile! Would you like to LEARN ENGLISH? Would you like to come help me with my reuse recycle farm idea? There is typically a BIG group of young travellers here. Come see the Rocky Mountains and some of Western Canada. About once per month I do road trips with some workawayers. The farm is located JUST outside Edmonton which is a city of over 1 million people. There is ANYTHING you want to do here. Festivals, bars, pubs, nightlife, shopping, cinema, theatre, sports, spectator sports (hockey / football), gymnasiums, cycling, golf, ice skating, native Indian pow wows. Edmonton has the biggest urban park of any city in the world I think. There is amazing hiking in the river valley. We have the biggest and the best shopping mall in the world. We have lots of downhill skiing and snowboarding in the Rocky Mountains just a short drive from my farm. You can ride on the back of my Harley Davidson motorcycle and throw axes in the backyard. You might be able to go dog sledding (in winter). You shouldn't be bored in this place. When working you will be cleaning and organizing. We will be planting trees, raspberry bushes and a huge garden. If you have skills you could help with renovations and building. Expect hard dirty work and basic healthy food.
Feb 7, 2020 Workawayer update (in chronological order)
- Sven the 19 year old German guy is here. He is an intellectual who also likes to party at dance clubs.
- Gabrielle the brazilian student is here until February 19. She loves to cook and go out to dance parties.
- Vio the 28 year old German woman is here until Feb 23. She speaks English well and is very friendly. She likes to have fun with the group and drink a beer.
- Marius is a German man who speaks English almost without accent. He's so friendly.
- Pau the Spanish guy is here. He's a big tall athletic guy who loves sports. He is so kind hearted and soft spoken. He speaks English very well.
- John Tucker the English Carpenter is here now. You might be able to work with him and learn carpentry.
- Juan the Colombian is here now. He is friendly
Coming in future
- Frederic the German guy might come here soon. He's a worldly intellectual who is also an electrician. He would be working on my barn lights.
- Hector and Anna the European couple will be coming but they're not sure when.
- Denes the Hungarian guy might be coming soon
- Khalid the 18 year old Arab Italian guy wants to come here LONG term to be our cook. He's not sure when he's coming though.
-Juan the Colombian wants to come here. He is applying for a visa. He is an electrical engineer.
- Manon is a French girl who might come in February. She is a vegetarian and wants to do babysitting.
- Eliza the Romanian nurse MIGHT want to come on Feb 1 and stay for up to 6 months (but she's not sure)
- Lucas the 19 year old French guy DEFINITELY wants to come for 5 months starting in February 15-20 (he's not sure yet).
- Gabi the Mexican girl wants to come for 3 months starting on February 19. She wants to do organizing and cleaning. She already has her flight.
- Matteo the Italian is coming February until the end of April. He likes to cook.
- Marie the 21 year old French girl wants to come from Feb 12 to Mar 30. She wants to organize stuff but not cook or clean.
- Jodie the French girl will come Mid February to end of March
- Jessica the Mexican girl will be coming after February 14
- Alexandra the 18 year old French girl wants to come on February 15
- Tommaso is an Italian guy who MIGHT come in February (he's not sure)
- Rivaldo is a young Brazilian man coming from March to May 2020
- Mika the Dutch man is coming in March and possibly staying for a long time.
-Shay the Australian woman wants to come here in March to do computer work and babysitting.
- The French man Sacha will be here March to May
- Lucie and Zdeněk the 35 year old Czech couple want to come for 6 months starting in March. He's an electrician.
- Franz is a beer drinking champion from Germany who will be coming here in mid March. He said he wants people to drink beer with him near the campfire.
- David the extremely muscular bodybuilding German wants to come here in April of 2020 and stay for 4 weeks.
- Sundhari is an East Indian IT computer professional. She loves nature and the outdoors. She is an ardent runner,trekker and cyclist. She will be here for April of 2020.
- Mauricio the Mexican guy wants to come for April and May
- Emma the English girl wants to come here in early May. She wants to do work on the computer as she's very proficient.
- Sonia and Hannah are 2 girls from London who might come in May, 2020. They are special needs teachers.
- Marine is a girl from France who is definitely coming here May to July, 2020. She loves cooking.
- Hanne the 18 year old German girl wants to come in June of 2020 and do cooking and baking. She has a lot of experience with kitchen work.
-Charles the 19 year old French engineering students wants to come in June 2020.
- Nicolas the French aeronautics engineering student will be coming on June 17th for one month.
- Laura the French medical student is coming in the summer
- Jose the Spanish engineer wants to come here for the ENTIRE summer. He loves soccer, cycling and having a beer by the campfire.
-Greta the Italian teacher and her engineer husband want to come in the summer of 2020 (July to August)
- Ilja the Russian guy wants to come for July and August. He's interested in photography and computers.
- Andrea and Uriel the Mexican couple are coming from July to September 2020.
The workawayers are usually hanging around the farm playing billiards, watching movies, playing SONY playstation 3, using WIFI, playing trivia, practicing English, eating food, having drinks. We have a campfire very often. I have a canoe here and I can drop people off for canoeing as I know the best rivers for that. If you want to come join the group let me know. I'm usually driving into Edmonton every day so you can experience rural life on my farm as well as urban life in the city. I can pick you up in the city and drop you off when you're ready to move on in your travels.
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
Make friends with up to 40 workawayers staying on my farm. Sometimes we have up to 25 at the same time! People come and go so if you stay a while you could potentially meet up to 60 people. Usually we have 5-10 workawayers here.
Possibly go on one of our epic road trips through the Rocky Mountains and see wildlife, waterfalls, lakes, beautiful nature.
Expect to learn LESS about farming because we are just planting trees and watering them. You won't learn much from that.
IF you're interested you can learn about my recycling system in which I have recycled over 3 million kilograms of metals, electronics, etc. that other people have simply thrown away.
You WILL be doing English language practice. I'm constantly teaching English. Learn perfect English from university educated professional anglophones. You will get a LOT of English practice here. I have English lessons every day at meal time.
You'll learn how to properly clean if you take the cleaning position on the farm. (yes it's a skill)
If you're helping in the kitchen you'll learn how to cook (or at least improve your skills)
You might be able to learn about renovations and use power tools as well. We do build sheds here on my farm with wood we salvaged from the garbage.
Don't expect to learn much about organic farming because you'll just be planting trees, watering trees, and gardening.
Matt is a teacher and will have lessons for you in English (he also speaks German, some Spanish, French, Russian so that will help translate)
Experience REAL Canada
You might be able to join me on a trip to see the Rocky Mountains, hot springs, waterfalls, canyons, hikes
See BOTH rural and urban life in Canada
Learn about and meet Native Indians. Go to their pow wows to see traditional dancing. Attend a sweat lodge to engage in ancient ceremonies with Native Indian people. You might even be able to attend a sun dance
Probably visit Native Indian reservations and learn about the history of Native Indians in Canada and also North America. (remember that Matt used to be a history teacher).
Possibly go dog sledding if you pay for it. I provide transport and bagged lunches
Possibly go whitewater rafting if you pay for it. I provide transport and food
Possibly go canoeing if it's summer (this is free as I own a canoe and we have rivers near my farm)
live on a farm with a true Canadian family with young cute children
use power tools and practice carpentry by building sheds and fencing
drive vehicles (even if you don't have a driver's licence or ANY experience) I can still teach you to drive and have you on the back country roads driving my vehicles.
drive equipment and machinery
Learn about mechanics and how to keep machinery running in cold weather
Learn about renovations and how to use power tools (I used to be a high school wood shop teacher)
Probably get a ride on a Harley Davidson motorcycle (some workawayers have even taken it out on their own)
get exercise by working so hard (you probably will work hard but some tasks are lighter duty if you don't want to work so hard physically)
Eat good healthy food every day
Possibly learn about organic gardening with NO pesticides or fertilizers (starting in spring of 2020)
Party and have a few beers by the outdoor campfire with other workawayers. We sometimes have up to 25 workawayers here! It's a big group of travellers. Make friends! In winter we seem to have less than summer but there is still 5-15 workawayers here.
On Saturday nights I am often able to drive you and other workawayers into the nightclub district of Edmonton to go out for beer and dancing. Then I'd drive you back to the farm at 2:00 A.M.
Get free use of WARM clothes for the Canadian winter. I will provide the warm clothes and rain gear. You can use any clothes I have here. I have ALL sizes. I also provide rubber boots and gloves in the summer.
Get free travel advice because Matt has been to over 60 countries and most places in Western Canada. My wife has travelled the world too. We know the Rockies extremely well. The other workawayers have travelled around the world too so you can exchange travel ideas.
Cleaning, organizing, dusting, moving items around, placing ads on internet to reuse/recycle items. Please note that there is a LOT of stuff being stored on my farm. If you are bothered by clutter or a mess then this isn't the place for you.
There is no money being made from the appliances being recycled and sold and there are no dangerous aspects involved with handling these appliances. If you ever feel you are doing something that is unsafe at all please stop doing it and talk to me. I will get you doing another task.
We are shovelling snow in winter, mowing grass in summer, picking weeds, raking, watering trees, planting trees, gardening (all menial unskilled tasks) We can also use SKILLED workers but if you're ACTUALLY skilled I could pay you cash. (negotiate before arrival to avoid disappointment) We need carpenters to build sheds, fences and do other carpentry work. We need an electrician to install lights in my barn. I need a plumber to help put a bathroom in my basement. I need a roofer to replace shingles on my roof. I need an arborist to take down trees. Even if you're a skilled chef we could possibly pay you some cash.
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️. Please read this regarding CASH payment*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️ I need someone to be a lead hand. If you are committing to at least 6 months, speak fluent English, are VERY trainable (good attitude and willing to learn), are a SUPER good communicator, have EXTREMELY strong cell phone skills, are very strong, coordinated and have a valid international driver's licence I might be able to negotiate cash payments for you (on top of free accommodation, entertainment and food). This would ONLY be if you are someone who meets the criteria I'm searching for. None of the workawayers I have hosted as of yet would fit the criteria for a cash stipend. Most of them don't want to stay for many months and even if they did most of them wouldn't have the driver's licence, language skills, cell phone skills or work skills to be the lead hand. They are thus only receiving accommodation, food and entertainment for free. Are you are the right type of person I'm searching for? Do you have nothing better to do than hang out and work on my farm for at LEAST 6 months? If so then you might be able to turn this workaway into a PAID workawayer position. I would pay for any hours over the 25 hours per week. You do not need a work visa for this (just a tourist visa is fine). But I am very particular about who might do this position so all summer I just did it myself rather than paying someone else to mess things up.
Even if you don't commit to a longer time I might still be able to negotiate some cash payments for you. IF you're a SKILLED worker I could get you building some sheds for me out of wood. I also need other SKILLED workers like electricians, plumbers, etc. as I'm doing LOTS of renovations on my farm. If you do more than 25 hours per week you would just get paid in cash for the extra hours. We could negotiate cash payments based on your SKILL level. If you are a trained professional then obviously you should get paid. But if you're not that skilled with tools then it's very doubtful that I would pay you extra cash.
English, Deutsch (German), poquito Espanol, Russian, un petit Français
You can stay in my home in an unfinished basement. It's like a dorm style shared HUGE room. You might even have a Queen sized bed. If you need a private room it can possibly be arranged. I have a bunk house next to the garage but you can’t get internet out there as it’s too far from the router. Or you can just stay out in the old 1974 retro RV motorhome in my back yard. Everyone always eats meals together as one big family. There is unlimited internet. There is a BIG recreation room with a billiards table, games, a library and fireplace. Expect my home and yard to be disorganized and cluttered. Remember it is a recycle farm and there is stuff all over the place.
I will provide all food for the workawayers. If you are doing the cooking for all of us you can cook whatever meals you want and we will pay for it. You could cook one meal per day or all 3 meals if you like. We're not that frugal to limit what you cook. Breakfast would JUST be porridge, oatmeal, banana (or sometimes some other fruit), bowl of cereal and maybe some toast. Lunch is usually leftovers from the previous nights supper. We usually cook 1 big meal per day and that is supper. There is also dessert every night after supper (typically ice cream, cake or fruit). You will not starve. We do not give you free beer, cigarettes, marijuana or junk food (chocolate, candy, potato chips). You will need to purchase that with your own money so bring some cash if you need that unhealthy stuff.
My farm is located just outside of Edmonton which is a city of over 1 million people. I go into the city about 2-6 times per week (almost every day in the summer). I can also provide accommodation for you in the city if you want to stay in the city for a day or two. You just volunteer in exchange for staying at either my city house or my farm. There is the best mall in the world (West Edmonton Mall) close to my farm. There is lots of nightlife in Edmonton as it's a University city. I will show you around the city as well. I've been showing them around the city of Edmonton on their days off. We have done cycling, skating, hiking, sledding, sightseeing, Or we've been hanging around the farm playing billiards, watching movies, using WIFI, practicing English, eating food, having drinks, having campfires. When you're not working you can watch movies, use the high speed internet to Skype or WhatsApp your friends. Maybe use our big recreation room to play billiards or sit by the fireplace with a book and read. We have a library of books in our home. If you enjoy playing with children you can play with our 2 toddlers. They love it when people read books to them. It's still warm out now so you can go cycling and canoeing down the rivers (I provide bicycles and a canoe for you). Also, about once a month I take longer term workawayers out to the Rocky Mountains to go hiking . We might be going again in November or December. Even if you're not a longer term volunteer I might be able to take you. When the weather is nice we often have campfires and roast weiners and make smores. People often sing and play guitar by the campfire. You're allowed to drink alcohol or smoke tobacco here. Marijuana is also totally legal in Canada now. You can buy it at the store just like cigarettes so you can smoke weed out by the campfire too if you like. We also have a swimming pool on the farm but it's not open again until May of 2020. You can swim in summer. In summer we usually throw a pool party whenever the weather goes above 26 degrees . We very often go to Native Indigenous ceremonies and parties like the pow wows, sun dances and sweat lodges.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
25 hours per week (3.57 hours per night)
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: