Our lodge is regarded as one of the world's most successful community tourism projects. It is situated in one of the most remote and beautiful coastal villages in South Africa and is located within the heart of a traditional Xhosa community. It is a wonderful place to experience authentic, traditional Xhosa culture while living on a paradise beach. The lodge is totally off-grid and run on ecologically sustainable principles.
PLEASE NOTE : We only accept applicants that are able to stay for a month. Longer stays will be considered after the initial month.
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
If you've ever wondered what it would be like to live in a traditional African village where the people speak a click language (the language spoken by the Wakanda people in Black Panther) then the lodge is for you. We are a very traditional community where electricity has not yet arrived but at the same time, super friendly and welcoming of visitors who come and stay here. You will get a chance to live real village life and at the same time get to meet interesting foreigners who come from all over to experience the project. If you surf, we have great (little-known) waves (with lots of dolphins and whales), and we are one of the world's most beautiful natural environments.
You will also get to learn the practicalities of living off-grid using eco-friendly technologies that keep the lodge in harmony with our natural environment.
The areas we require assistance with are:
Position 1 - Content Creators & Guest Interaction
The main responsibilities are:
a. Post on social media platforms once per day and schedule future dated posts. - Must have an eye for photographs and telling stories .
b. Manage guest survey and provide feedback.
c. Help with developing Volunteer guide book to develop optimal social media strategy and guidelines for future volunteers.
d. Develop our own hastags for the different aspects of our business.
d. Help out with adhoc tasks.
Please share links to your instagram account, facebook photos or photography portfolio when applying for this role.
Position 2 - Any 1 of the below skills would be welcomed.
1. Carpenter or builder - We require much help with restoring our buildings to a higher standard. We need help with refitting of wooden windows and handles, a small amount of tiling, replacing of window panes, putty. We need help preparing wood surfaces for repainting as part of a modernisation project we're going through. Ideally we require someone for a few months. We have the tools and willing to buy what you require to do the work.
2. Video Film and Editing skills to help create marketing and activity videos for our website and media platforms.
3. Fauna and Flora lover - we need someone experienced/interested in birds, trees, flowers, insects, marine life to help us develop a few community members to start a little business doing activities for guests interested in these things. You need to have your own binoculars and into photography/film to help us promote their online and help us develop our hastags related to each area. You will be required to work with our youth to help better understand our environment, document common findings, interesting facts and train our people what guests want to see and learn in our area. You also need to help us with where/how to promote these attractions to potential guests. If you're able to source an old pair of bino's that you could donate to one of the youth we're looking to develop, this will go a long way.
4. Electrician - we need some help fitting some sensor lights and getting electricity to a chill area - its a small requirement and we are willing to accept volunteers for a shorter period to have this work done.
5. Website development. We are busy redoing our website built on Wordpress and require help building out our vision.
6. Hospitality Operations - We need help putting together an operational task calendar for daily, weekly, monthly and annually to help our community staff members meet guests expectations. We will accept volunteers with this experience or qualification looking to gain real-world experince.
7. Back office worker - We need help with our filing and admin systems and putting new systems in place to help us manage daily operations.
You have your own bedroom with two single beds (with bedding), solar electricity and a table and chair. There are communal toilets and showers shared with our lodge guests.
When not at the lodge, you can explore our beaches, forests and rivers, go horse-riding, canoeing or get a massage. The local traditional herbalist will take you into the forest and teach you about traditional plant medicines or you could just go spend the day with the village women hanging out. No-one ever got bored here!
The nearest towns are Coffee Bay and Mthatha. We are remote and off-the-grid. MTN and Cell-C networks are the only "working" towers in the area. Please note, we have limited WiFi access-- only available for online volunteering work, not for personal use.
The lodge has a shuttle 4 times per week, which you can use for free. We are based in a rural area and only collect/drop off on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays - Please ensure you apply on one of these days for your arrival and departure.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: