Hi! I am Amy and I have lived in the Portobelo area since 2014 and am involved in many different projects! This part of the world is absolutely beautiful and i like living at a more relaxed, chilled pace of life while i do the things i love! I have recently moved to a small apartment about 2km outside Portobelo and I currently have 3 dogs that live with me.
I am looking for 1 person or a couple who would like to come and house sit and look after my dogs while I am in England. I will leave on the 18th October and return on the 19th November 2020.
The help would include:
- walking, feeding, playing with and petting the dogs every day
- keeping up with their training (mostly walking on leash and controlling barking at the moment)
- cleaning the apartment
- helping with profiles for the other 5 apartments here
Full training will be given on everything.
As the required tasks are not very time consuming, you can also get involved with:
- Teaching English to the local kids. They love impromptu English lessons!
- Helping with my charity (Panama Dog Rescue) to spread food, medicine, advice and help setup spay and neuter clinics
Please be aware, these would be as side projects alongside the above tasks.
Some Spanish would be a bonus, but not essential.
If you read my reviews, please be aware that they are all written with reference to my old property in Puerto Lindo.
DIY and building projects
Help with Eco Projects
Help around the house
Travellers at my place will definitely get back whatever they put in! I only ask for 2 hours a day so you will have PLENTY of time to get out and about and explore the area! I am incredibly happy to share my experiences, my friends, my lifestyle and my projects with you so what could you learn?????
- You are going to be living in a rural area of Panama - internet can be patchy, cell signal sometimes goes out, electricity sometimes goes out, and water? well, we either have far too much or far too little! This is a great way of experiencing a really different way of life, and learning about adjustments and adaptions that you can then take anywhere. It's not always easy, but you will feel much more self reliant and capable after!
- You can learn all about dog health and how to take that out into a developing community
- You can practise Spanish with me and the local community
- You can spend time with the local expat community and the local boating community. Puerto Lindo and Portobelo are full of boaters. Most people have ended up here after a million adventures and everyone has an interesting story.
- You can spend time in the jungle and if you are interested, I can help arrange guides or camping trips so you can really practise your jungle skills!
- You can spend your time snorkeling on the local coral and explore the local fish and marine life.
- I have some great connections in the local community here and can help you find people to take you fishing, practise your language skills, get you to the islands or if you want to spend time developing your own projects, I can help you with that too!
There are lots of things to do and participate in here, like I said, you will get out what you put in. Or if you fancy some down chilling time, you can sling up a hammock and watch the world go by!
What I really want is people who are looking for some very chilled out down time and a relaxed workaway experience, but who are able to help by themselves in a mature and responsible way. The tasks you to do around the house are really easy and require no prior experience, but you will be here without me so I am looking to have good communication and feel confident that you will be ok alone!
If you want to get involved in other projects, that is your choice and i'll work with you to give you a project that really matches your skills.
The accommodation is my fully furnished apartment. There is a large kitchen / living space, a bedroom, bathroom (hot water), and a walk in closet space. It feels spacious and cosy at the same time and is perfectly placed right next to the water which you can jump in and snorkel, swim or grab a lancha (local water taxi) to one of the beaches. It is a couple of km outside the main town of Portobelo which I love because you are close to the amenities, but far enough out for your own privacy. The apartment is 2 minutes away from the police station (so it is super safe!) and a restaurant. Buses pass every 30 minutes and cost .35c to get to town. You are responsible for buying all your own food, toilet paper, dish soap etc.
This part of Portobelo is beautiful, but mostly very quiet. I ask our workawayers to respect this. If you are a party animal, this probably is not the place for you!
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️ I DO NOT HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION *️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️
If you want a good connection, you can buy a digicel SIM which normally has excellent signal and allows you to share data as a hotspot.
It's a great area for hiking, swimming, horse riding, kayaking, boating, snorkeling, exploring, lounging around and chilling. If you're into bars, clubs, and shopping, please don't come - you will not find these things here! We are nestled between the jungle and the sea and have the caribbean islands and coast line on our doorstep. The jungle is great for exploring and spotting wildlife. Sloths and monkeys are daily visitors.
If you're interested or have any questions, please drop me a line!
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
PLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY!!! I am a digital nomad (I do online English lessons and social media) and work from my apartment here in Portobelo, however I DO NOT HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION. I use my phone for zoom calls and as a hotspot for my computer. I use digicel which has an excellent package. For $20 a month I receive: - unlimited LTE to my phone - 10 gb to share with my computer Because I do not have an internet connection, I only recommend this option for digital nomads who do not need to use a lot of data on the computer. The internet is a problem here - we only have one company who can connect us to the internet and they have stopped offering connections in this area due to maintenance issues. That means that there are very few businesses that offer internet and if the service isn't good on digicel, you may not be able to find a different connection. Therefore I do not recommend this to a digital nomad who does not have a little bit of flexibility. It is very, very rare, but you may have to live without a connection for 1-2 days.
There is a big space outside my apartment to park your vehicle and it is right next to the sea!
1 hour a day every day of the week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: