We are looking for a person with experience to help us take care of our Alaskan Huskies for the upcoming season 2021/22 from August 2021 and until snow melts in May 2022. We prefer someone that is able to stay for at least 2 months as it takes time to get into all the routines and most important; time to get to know the dogs. The dogs are a part of our family and it is very important that they are happy and good taken care off.
You need to be able to work under demanding conditions as we do dog sledding in all sorts of weather conditions and winter up here in the north can be very challenging. Working with dogs also involves long working hours in physically demanding conditions. This is not an 8 to 4 job but a lifestyle. It is important that you are reliable and is able to work both in team and independently.
We hope you are:
· Good physical shape with no health problems preventing you from doing physically strenuous tasks.
· Responsible, organized and hardworking
· Have a passion for dogs
· Keen to learn
· Maintenance (fencing, repairing cages, dog-houses and sled-dog equipment)
· Should be able to see jobs that to be done – without having to constantly be told/directed
· Keep calm in stressful situations
Some of the tasks; just to mention few of them is:
Feed the dogs 2-3 times a day
· Keep the dog yard clean
· Socialize with puppies & the older dogs
· Help us prepare for the training and also train dogs if we see that you are motivated enough
· Help us to pack for the races
· Improve the trails
· Cut meat and prepare the dog food
· Fix or build
For us this is more than work and our dogs are more than dogs; they are our friends and their wellbeing is important to us.
DIY and building projects
Help around the house
As we are situated outside the city center and living close to the nature there are possibility to enjoy nature and go hiking up in the mountains. In the summer you can experience the midnight sun and in the winter starting from mid September until mid April you have the Northern Lights. And you will also learn about our special way of living with our alaskan huskies.
We need someone that is able to:
- help out in the dogyard
- feeding of the dogs
- keeping the dogyard clean and tidy
- Maintenance (fencing, reparing cages, dog-houses and sled-dog equipment)
- improving the trails
- during autumn and or winter assist during trainig sessions
As you can see the list of tasks will be long but the reward is to get to learn more about dogsledding and how to take care of the huskies, how we prepare for the dograces and how much we love our 4 legged fury huskies.
You will get your own accommodation with your own kitchen and private bathroom , free access to wifi, We provide food and accomodation for workawayers.
We also have a car that can be used if available to go downtown to Alta where you can visit the Alta Museum, The Northern Light Cathedral, the library, cinema, shopping center etc. In the sourroundings of Alta there are different hiking trails. During winter you can visit the Ice hotel, go snowmobiling with us, skiing, snowshoeing or dogsledding:)
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
This host can provide space for campervans.
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week