We own a backpackers with views of the Digby fishermen's wharf and Annapolis Basin. We are located right in town, walking distance to shops and restaurants. We are also located right along the Bay of Fundy, close to some of the best whale watching around (June through to late September is the best time for this), great hiking, unique towns and villages, sea kayaking and sailing.
Digby is known for it's great seafood, especially Digby scallops and the Bay of Fundy lobster. We tend to organize some bbq's, lobster feasts, campfire nights and such throughout the season and would welcome volunteers to join us and help out with this as well!
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
What you could learn entirely depends on you! We can:
- help you with learning English (Saskia is fluent in Dutch and has a good understanding of German, Claude is fluent in French)
- show you how to deal with guests and any guest concerns while ensuring guest satisfaction rates are high
- teach you anything you want to know about running a hostel. From reception to cleaning essentials to guest satisfaction to dealing with complaints... anything you want to know (and maybe some stuff you wish you never knew ;-) )
- teach you how to work with different tools to build stuff, whether it is a simple fix or building an entire building
- explore the area and learn about the local history (which was instrumental in the history of Canada)
- help you discover the best about the Bay of Fundy, the tides and its wide variety of sea life
Each of you is different and each of you has different interests, so every exchange is different.
We are looking for people that can help with cleaning, making beds, reception work (answering the phone, check-ins, helping guests plan their day), gardening, renovations and building projects, etc. We have bought a second property last year that we are currently turning into a pub/café. We certainly could use a hand from anyone handy with a hammer as well!
The main thing we ask of any of our volunteers is that you care, pay attention to the details and are social, friendly and outgoing. We usually ask for about 20 hours a week in exchange for a free bed and breakfast. You would also have free use of bicycles and laundry. We normally ask for a minimum three week stay, as we usually train volunteers for front desk duties and we prefer for volunteers to learn something about the area so you can actually answer guest questions about things to do.
We are also looking for people with some decent handyman skills, as we are in the middle of renovating a former church into a pub/café. Lots of work and lots to do!
We can currently offer a bed in a dorm.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
4 hours a day, 5 days a week.