Favourited 486 times
I own a little jungle wellness retreat, home stay and spa in the nature of Langkawi island. A holiday destination at the north of peninsular Malaysia.
I am very passionate about living partially off grid and sustainable living. That is why I chose my establishment right in the jungle. It is very secluded and there are always works to do to keep up the place. The retreat has only two rooms, an outdoor kitchen, a tree house, big piece of lawn and garden and a day spa which only serve two people at a time. I love living in an outdoor concept. So my living room is actually under the bamboo tree with recycle table and chairs. The dining area is also made of wood and sit outside the rooms. My guests would sit or lay around on the open space, BBQ, singing under the stars. You can bring your books to read on the hammock under the trees. Use the open space to do yoga, Tai Chi or meditation under the sky. I am now also in the process of growing herbs, fruits and vegetables and farming chickens. It is my dream to turn this place into a little holistic sanctuary.
As my establishment is small, I am basically doing a "one-man show" most of the times. I am the full time employee. I am doing all the cleaning, setting up beds, gardening, cooking, laundry, maintenance. At times, I also do massage, conducting massage, Tai Chi, meditation classes. I have two part time employees as spa therapists. I have four lovely dogs who are the main attraction to my animal loving guests. They too 'work' for me to keep the guests entertained.
I am looking for workawayers who are responsible, independent and passionate about the work that I am doing to assist me, exchange knowledge and skills to assist me. Once you gather enough working experience with me, perhaps you can create your own sanctuary and still make a living.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Many things you can learn here:
- Fauna and flora in the tropical country. There are lots of beautiful nature on Langkawi island.
- Why do dusky leaves monkeys has golden babies?
- Why are bats always hanging upside down in the cave?
- How many times a farmer can grow rice in a year?
- Secret places at the waterfall, beaches, mountains.
- Farming and growing own sustainable food. Local herbs benefits and usage.
- Service industry hospitality, management and organizing skills.
- How to live as a minimalist, build things your own, Example: how to build a chicken coup or make a chair from bamboo. How to compose waste and turn it into fertilizer.
- How to care for stray animals. How do animals of different climax live and what is best for them.
- You will learn about the local lifestyle and the local cultures. As you will be invited to many festive occasions, traditional ceremonies, rituals and celebrations.
- Get to know my home stay guests from all over the world. Exchange cultures, knowledge, skills and learn many different languages
- You be the volunteer as a model for my students if I happen to conduct massage training classes.
- I may even offer you to work as a part time therapist or yoga teacher.
- If you are good in music, we can also do jamming, live performance as I know lots of musicians on the island.
- I love to cook, so we can also exchange some cooking tips. Try out the best roti on the island. Now you know rendang chicken is not suppose to be crispy.
- I left big city and the corporate world and venture alone into wilderness, serenity and live a simple life. Maybe you can learn a thing or two from me on how to get rid of the rat race lifestyle and find your own passion.
- I have lots of friends and you may be invited to join me and my friends over dinner, gatherings, parties. You will get to know the friendly local people and expats from time to time. How do they live, what are their dreams, past experience and future plans.
You only need to help me 4-5 hours a day with the following tasks:
Raking the leaves everyday, cutting grass with a spinning hand cutting machine, trimming trees once a week. Planting herbs and flowers and water them everyday. I have all the necessary tools for you.
Outdoor kitchen, spa and two guest rooms. Including taking the garbage out. Separate them into recycle bins, compose the waste as fertilizer.
I have a washing machine. Just put them in and then sun drying. Fold them nicely and put them accordingly into the cupboard.
4) Taking care of the animals: 4 dogs, 1 turtle, may be in future chickens, geese and ducks. Prepare their food and feed them once a day. Shower the dogs once a week. Basically taking care of their overall well being.
5) Building or fixing the house and other maintenance work from time to time. Building, plumbing or electrical experience is a plus point but not compulsory.
6) Taking care of the homestay guests. Including taking care of the guests, help checking in and check out, introducing them about the local attractions, dos and don'ts. Assist them in many ways.
Chinese (Mandarin): Fluent
This host offers a language exchange
I love to learn different languages from all over the world.
Tree House. A newly built 8 feet x 8 feet small tree house with a 4 feet balcony on the rock hill over seeing greenery of the jungle. The height is 8 feet above the ground, there are hammocks on the stilts of the tree house. You can lay down and read your book. It is breezy and constantly you can see birds, monkeys, squirrels running around. There two single mattresses and cupboard inside the tree house. A table fan, lights and mosquito net. You can use any of the bathrooms and toilets down the rock hill when there is no guest, otherwise you can use the spa bathroom and toilet before 10am and after 6pm. You will need to be adventurous and be prepared to stay in the nature. I am not staying there all the times.
You will have two days off in a week.
You can use my bicycles or motorbike to move around the island.
There are many attractions and I am best at sharing those unexplored and non commercial sights. Best local food and hangout places. It is just too many to list out here.
**Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, I am now requiring workawayers who are fully vaccinated only to stay at my place.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
I have wifi but as the location is in the jungle, the signal is not so strong. For instance if you do a zoom meeting, there will be lagging and skyping occasionally turn to audio only, browsing, surfing, emailing is fine.
Ample of space to park.
This is a pet friendly place, except you must take your pets home and not leave them with me when you leave.
4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: