Favourited 105 times
My name is Andri Zainal Kari. I have recently finished my Masters at Utrecht University in the Netherlands. I decided to dedicate my time and myself to spread sustainability and global issues to Sumatran young generations, with English as its vehicle.
I set up an English school in April 2018. Teaching and getting young people together are my passions, having done many voluntary activities for more than 10 years now, by being involved in many projects and youth-based organisations. The school is a boarding school where students stay for at least two weeks learning and speaking English from early in the morning until late at night, every weekday. Since the students stay here they are immersed in English and also learn grammar, listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
I also share my experiences of travelling to more than 24 countries, working in multinational companies, my exchange and scholarship opportunities etc. in the hope that the students will not only learn English here, but will also broaden their lives and adopt a vision for their future. Sustainability texts and talks are used wherever appropriate to spread its message.
The capacity of my school is now up to 70 students per month and it has been fully booked every month since its first month, May 2018. I believe it will be an exciting experience for you to join me, meet many young people and get involved in this relaxed, but very focused project.
Help with Computers / internet
There are many benefits for volunteers:
- The location of the school is in Harau Valley, one of the most beautiful valleys in Indonesia. It is visited by many local and international tourists.
- It will be hard to find more friendly students and locals, allowing you to be immersed, in not only the school, but in the community.
- The locals are mainly farmers allowing you to witness and experience genuine rural life in Sumatra.
- Most of the students are university students, or fresh graduates from many provinces in Sumatra. They are very focused learners and are generally eager to learn about your country and your life.
- It will be a great opportunity to expand your networks.
- You can be guaranteed that your help will be greatly appreciated.
- There are some very friendly English speaking local people who work at the school allowing for cultural exchange and friendship with them.
- The school usually holds many social and volunteer activities in the surrounding area, which you are welcome to attend.
- The atmosphere in the school is very relaxed, with an emphasis on learning being fun.
- Help with practicing your Bahasa Indonesia can be part of your experience here.
The help required from volunteers is primarily during the speaking sessions (a priority) and if possible, in the writing sessions as well. Therefore, good English proficiency and good speaking skills are required.
Students only pay a small amount of money to study here. We are not able to pay you in financial ways, but the rewards are rich in so many other ways.
Bahasa Indonesia (Native), English & Basic Arabic
The travellers will stay in a standard private Indonesian room with a bed, fan, luggage box and share clean, Indonesian style bathrooms. Volunteers can also use the school facilities such as wifi (100 Mbps), mini library, washing machine, and so on. The location of the school is right in front of a beautiful cliff and surrounded by many farms, hills and cliffs. The place is really chill and peaceful.
During free time, volunteers can spend their time exploring what Harau Valley has to offer - exploring more than 8 waterfalls, enjoying rice fields/terraces, hiking the cliffs, trekking in the forests, joining local farmers or even just chilling at the school reading, playing the guitar or socializing as one of our large ‘family’.
Visitors can visit other places further away like the famous Maninjau Lake, Pagaruyung Palace, Bukittinggi Town, Mount Merapi volcano, and the list goes on, which are all accessible from school (1-2 hours travel time).
Many volunteers have rented a motorbike from either Padang or Bukittinggi before coming to Harau Valley. If available, the school's motorbike can be used conditionally at times. If you want to come directly from the airport (PDG - Minangkabau International Airport) to the school, we are happy to organize your transport on your behalf.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: