Hello friends to be,
We are starting up a CREATIVE ACADEMY ! A space to come, learn and share new skills & knowledge
Our project is at its early beginnings, so let me start with a bit of the story.
Some months ago we were given 3 acres of land by a chief nearby in the community of Kapeska.
On this land we already have a brick builidng with 2 classrooms and an office.
We are, Tiwanee and Quentin. I've been living in Malawi for 3 1/2 years now previously running a farmhouse lodge. Quentin on the other hand has been here for 8 months and was previously running a dive centre on Lake Malawi.
We have found ourselves with the same idea to develop a community as sustainable as possible by teaching children and women different skills that they could use elsewhere and also where they can produce something that we would then help create a platform to sell.
We do not want to be one of those 100,000,000 charity's that come in with money to spend and where more and more communities become dependent on aid....
What we want is to create a space of creation where the community itself generates their own income, not through charity but through actions and handmade stuff (The dungaree project is the 1st money generating side of this)
EX : Handmade clothes, painting, recyclable accessories, plays/dramas, food preservation, etc...
We try to keep away from too many sponsors and donations and make it a collaborative exchange...
LET'S NOT GIVE FISH, BUT TEACH HOW TO FISH !!! ;)
Up an running right NOW :
- Standard 1 primary school
- Build of a kitchen
- Activity/Youth center ( sports, games, workshops ) 100+ children
- Getting a garden up an going for next years feeding program and food preservation workshop
- Organising the build of a borehole as well as new class rooms
- Full development & production of the clothing brand in Mzuzu City
Babysitting / child care
Help with Eco project
Help with Computers / internet
You are gonna benefit from everyone around you benefiting as well.
Sharing is caring we all learn from each other and we share our knowledge.
If you've read the previous description I'm sure you know how you will benefit from being part of our movment !
In the creative academy there will be several departments. Something to suit every single one of you motivated beings!
1st The Academy :
- Creative workshops (arts, drama, sewing, painting, dance, tonga heritage, recycling...)
- Basic education (after school homework, government reading program, civic education...)
- Primary School
2nd The Garden :
- Composting manure
- Environmental awarness
- Tree nursery / Veggie garden (seed bank)
3rd The Kitchen :
- Feeding program for the participants of the academy
- Differents cooking skills
- Food preservation techniques
4th Construction & Recycling :
- Different construction techniques involving recyclable materials (ecobricks,...)
- A new borehole for clean water and decent irrigation
- A small sustainable electricity supply
On another hand we also need help to put the word out ! Marketing skills are extremly welcome. We will need to find distribution platforms for the diferent products created.
This is our vision, help us build our foundation.
We need people with innovative initiative and ready to help build from scratch!!
EXCITING !!!! :)
English, Spanish, French, limited Portuguese and Tonga
Basic accommodotion and amnenties in a local brick house with our project manager or camping on site.
You will have everything to cook, basic bathroom and toilet, a mattress as well as sheets.
Water will have to be sourced with buckets from the borehole nearby (150m)...
We will be offering local meals.
This consist of beans, nsima, rice, tomatoes, onions, corn, greens, etc...
Anything we can find on the market as well as what will grow from our gardens !
SO..., you are not allowed any time off !
We have quite a few activities in the surrounding that you can book :
- Horseback riding
- Swimming in lake malawi
- Scuba diving
- Excursion to Nkhata bay FUN FUN FUN(45min away)
- Bush excursions , birding, hiking, camping... (Go Untamed)
- Mzuzu city , shopping (2hr away)
- Extreme chilling !
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week