Bienvenidos, welcome, willkommen!
Looking for couples ONLY
from FEBRUARY 2023 on
Currently LUCAS (from Mexico) is running the Place, with ULLA (from Germany) managing the workawayer page and communications.
The Place consists of 11 apartments and rooms, that with a pool, lots and lots of plants, and a labyrinth of rooms, stairs, decks, and passages are in constant need to be taken care of.
Btw, this is NOT A HOSTEL, tho it looks like one!!!
Once upon a time there were 2 German women in their 50s, Annette and Ulla, who loved living in a small fishing village 20 miles/30 km north of Puerto Vallarta on the Bay of Banderas in the state of Nayarit.
Quite surprisingly they discovered together, that they also loved managing a number of guestrooms in a small hotelito with heaps of creativity, lots of ingenuity, and a penchant for creative solutions to everyday problems.
Forward half a decade...
First Annette left to go back to Germany, and Ulla with the help of a great handyman and friend, LUCAS, kept managing the place for a couple years, turning the hotelito into a number of small apartments rather than guest rooms.
Then Ulla felt called to explore new vistas, ventures, and adventures, which makes LUCAS the new person in charge with Terry, his partner, helping him.
We offer you a guestroom with a private bathroom, a Shared Kitchen, and lots of spaces to hang out plus regular workaway hours Mon to Fri 830ish to 1130ish am.
IT'S A FUNKY PLACE!!!
Our Main Kitchen (and the kitchen you will use and occasionally shared with others) is an open air kitchen, and it just gets dusty, no matter how much you clean.
Due to living in the tropics, we do have termites. We try to keep on top of them and erradicate them, but... they keep coming back.
Oh, and our pool sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't...
If these are issues you can live with, or clean them to your satisfaction WITHOUT COMPLAINING about them, then this is a good place for you.
If these kinds of issues make you feel uncomfortable, then it might be better to look for a different host.
ABOUT OUR VILLAGE
The population of La Cruz is a mix featuring
- a Mexican village,
- plus a snow bird population of mostly US and Canadian retirees during the winter months,
- plus year round or part time sailors anchored in the La Cruz Marina close to the apartments.
Help around the house
Travelers have the opportunity to live and volunteer in a complex environment:
- there are Mexicans, Americans, Germans, and Canadians living on the property in the middle of a Mexican fishing village;
- those of us living on and/or visiting the property range in ages from 2 till 75, tho most of us are in our 60s; and
- we constantly switch back and forth between 2 languages (English, and Spanish) with various skill levels and improvisational abilities with some German mixed in there.
Welcome to life in the midst of a Mexican fishing village with lots of visitors - all close to the Pacific ocean.
Looking for couples ONLY
from FEBRUARY 2023 on
We love INTROVERTS as most of us living here:
. enjoy spending lots of time by ourselves
. while being friendly with our neighbors, when we run into each other.
We are asking all of our workawayers to stay a MINIMUM OF 4 WEEKS with the willingness, skills, and/or experiences to be available for the following tasks:
1) WEEKLY CLEANINGS of the (big) public spaces of the property (including the Pool Bathroom, the Main Kitchen, several stairs, and lots of tiled floors)
2) WALKING OUR 2 BIG DOGS 2 or 3 times a day (see picture below)
. Mana is a Belgian Malinois, and she is 7 years old,
. Oso is a Labrador-Rottweiler mix, and he is 4 years old.
3) WATERING and taking care of our +/-180 potted plants
4) CARRYING 20 LITER / 5 GALLON FILTERED WATER BOTTLES (called garafons in Mexico) up and down stairs a few times a week
as a service to our renters
5) HELPING with our weekly POOL MAINTENANCE (if it is in use)
6) HANDYPERSONS help:
Painting roofs, walls, balustrades, surfaces inside and outside, both with acrylic and oil based paints
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
You will be staying in one of our funky and creative rooms with a private bathroom (see pictures).
In addition, we offer:
- a fully equipped Main Kitchen occasionally shared with some of our guests/renters
- filtered drinking water in both your room and the kitchen
- a 5 minute walk to the nearest beaches (which are not surfing beaches)
- 3 - 5 minute walk to 2 grocery stores, 2 butchers, a taqueria, affordable local restaurants, and live music bars
- inexpensive local buses, that more or less take you wherever you want to go in the Bahia de Banderas, and
- our onsite host Lucas.
The room does NOT have an AC, but two fans.
We do NOT OFFER FOOD as part of the exchange, as we have a Main Kitchen, and food in Mexico is inexpensive, both in Mexican restaurants and if you prepare your own food.
We are a drug and alcohol free house. Yet there are a lot of options to party in the neighborhood.
What to do locally:
The Bay of Banderas offers surfing, boogie boarding, wind surfing, surf kiting, fishing, turtle egg laying watch, hiking, local markets, artisans, Huichol Indian crafts, sailing and whale watching (November till April) thru contacts in the La Cruz Marina.
In addition the Bay of Banderas offers a network of very affordable local buses, that run every 10 - 15 min, both
* south into Puerto Vallarta and its attractions as a major city with a population of 200,000 people, and
* north into Sayulita (about 60 min each way) and San Pancho (about 90 min each way), which are 2 Mexican tourist destination villages on the Pacific ocean.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Yes. The internet is 95% of the time stable. The 5% not stable happen usually in summer during the rain storms, when the whole village or area looses internet connection. A backup option is to us the "BAIT" cellphone service. They offer . unlimited data . and the opportunity to turn your cell phone into a mobile hotspot/ WiFi router to run your laptop from. Their SIM cards are available at Walmarts. Also the landline wifi signal is not very strong inside your room, so if you bring your own wifi extender, it can be programmed to make the signal strong even in your room.
15 hours a week (meals are not included)
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: