Hi, Hola, Privet, Bon Jour, Namaskar!
My name is Nikolai, I am Russian living in Estonia and I am a middle-age handyman and traveller.
I will be glad to cut your firewood, tame your overgrown bush, build your sundeck or paint your roof. Friendly smile and funny stories come as a bonus.
Some time ago I was a freelance translator and interpreter and my life used to revolve around a computer desk or a conference room. Then I changed my priorities and now I enjoy travelling and WorkAwaying, doing a variety of works and some translations on the way to earn my next ticket.
I really like hard work, learning, languages, active lifestyle, housekeeping, travelling and reading. In addition to a reasonable computer literacy, I also have some experience in construction (basic carpentry and electrical installation) and forestry.
So, I am good with power and hand tools, including chainsaws and all kinds of cutters and trimmers, I paint and dig, mown grass and fell trees.
In fact, I do everything I can put my eager hands on, and if I do not have any skill, I do my best to learn it. I am easy-going, very clear with my goals and the ways to achieve it, pay attention to details and appreciate a good joke. I am able to work on my own, as long as you set the task and provide resources (tools / materials).
I like people, respect animals, try to stay away from babies and prefer learning to teaching. Usually I offer to stay and work for three weeks with a host, though it can be extended if it works for both of us. I also offer a trial first week as the way to see whether it works and if not, both the host and I can say thank-you-good-bye without any bad feeling or ruined plans.
Some practical issues:
- I am a citizen of Estonia (EU), so I do not need a visa to visit many countries, and I have a valid health insurance (European healthcare card or traveller insurance outside EU).
- As I have to do my translations to earn my next ticket, I work five hours a day / five days a week and do my translations afterwards. That s why a reliable Internet connection is a must for me and I am often unavailable for socialising after WA hours and on the weekends.
- I am omnivorous, no allergies.
- I am “early to bed – early to rise” person.
- And yes, I need a shower at least once a day.
- Building: carpentry, electric installations (trained electrician), concrete works.
- Painting: sanding, painting, varnishing.
- Forest works: tree planting and felling, bush clearing (trained chainsaw operator)
- Agriculture: digging, planting, gardening.
- Firewood: cutting, splitting, stacking.
- Mechanics: tools maintenance (cleaning, sharpening, repair).
- Hospitality: reception work (check-in, check-out, booking, payment processing, reporting, accounting).
- Housesitting: I am a self-sufficient digital nomad, so long-term loneliness is a blessing for me.
- Boating: maintenance, carpentry, canvas works, ICC certificate
Mehr Infos zu meinen Sprachinteressen
Sure I am - I like picking up spicy local expressions on my way. And sharing what I have picked up.
I do not smoke, do not take drugs or alcohol, I often skip dinner and I like a good joke.
No. I like simple food with vegetarian touch.