My name is Manuel and I left London this year to come back home and help my family rebuilding our farm. The Farm is in use, and my brother Andre is a dairy farmer, with the help of my mother Cristina, they maintain it and survive there as best as possible. With the Portuguese crisis, they can't have employees to help on the daily tasks, and the farm looks messy and unloved, it's huge property with loads of potential.
At the beginning all we need to do is clean it, and relief my brother and my mother of some of their tasks, as they get up at 5am and work until 10pm.
The place is not a paradise, but that's why we need help, to make it become, we welcome anyone with ideas on how to organize the farm and what can we do with it, anyone that wants to help, we have about 3/4 free double rooms in the house.
The Farm has cows, goats, horse, chickens, ducks, rabbits, greenhouses with flowers and vegetables. It's situated in the city of Vila do Conde, with beautiful beaches (10 min by bicycle), and it's close to Porto by metro(45min), bus(1hr) or car(15min).
Come and join us in 2018 if you would like to help transforming it.
Help in the house
You can help on various tasks:
- take care of "Dona Isabel" our horse, feeding, cleaning her stable, grooming her, riding her if you know how, help build a fenced field for her to stretch her legs
- feed and clean Isabel's neighbours the goats
- take care of the various small gardens throughout the house
- help on morning and/or evening milking
- help feeding the cow morning and/or evening
- help feeding milk to our calves
- stable cleaning
- sowing, planting, harvesting, vegetables and flowers
- selling vegetables in the local artisan markets
- help organizing my mother's flower workshop
- help building a fenced area in the field for the cows to walk free
- help organizing the day to day of the farm
- suggesting and implementing ideas of possible business to support the farm
- help transforming the farm into a more environmentally friendly and sustainable farm
- so many more..
- Beach is very close by so you can spend all your free time there
- Cuisine is amazing in the north of Portugal
- My mother and my grand mother can teach you how to cook traditional dishes
- Helping us you'll learn along side us how to rebuild a farm and make it successful (hopefully)
- Learn Portuguese if you would like
- Learn about Plants and flowers
- Kiwi pruning
- flower bouquets and floral art
The rooms are in our house, so you'll be part of the family, they have double bed, one of the rooms has en suite and they all have wardrobe, you'll eat with us if you like, or if you prefer to cook to yourself we have everything you need, we have a small kitchen and a big kitchen you can use any, but once you taste my grand mother's food, you'll give up on cooking ;)
You have wi-fi in the house as well (not great, but good enough).
There's not many buses around but there's like 1every hour that will take you to Vila do Conde, or we can get you a bicycle for you to explore, you'll get there quicker. Porto is 45 min way by metro which is 10 way by bicycle. Both these cities have plenty to offer you.
It's great area, if you want to be rural you have it, if you want to go urban you also have it.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
My Photo Album