Favourited 54 times
Hello I am Dominic, I manage an exceptional urban space in an idyllic coast town. Our focus is sustainable living. The typical sized urban allotment , with buildings, has two groups of owners - one is myself (resident-manager), the other is a family (using the place for holidays).
Various types of people come to our place. One type is Australian city people getting away from city life - these customers hire our East Wing to stay in for a holiday. Another type is volunteers - like you ! - usually from WorkAway, usually wishing to gain some insights and skills, in a beautiful, healthy place close to beaches and Parks.
Our place deals with sustainable living (low ecological footprint, high community engagement) in a hands on way for owners and volunteers like you, or in an immersive learning way (customer holiday-makers). We are lucky to be in the premier coast holiday town in the South Gippsland Coast, two hours South East from central Melbourne. We are on at the junction of an estuary (huge lake) and the ocean with various beaches and water activities.
You can gain practical insights into ecological design, adaptive carpentry, permaculture design, yoga practices and more. There may be some customer accommodation tasks (room keeping).
A new project is emerging - looking for dedicated participant(s)
Urban Carbon Capture and Storage (Home based Sequestration)
> Low cost measurement of Carbon retention at urban house blocks.
> Urban plants and in situ Carbon capture - using low-oxygen charring (pyrolysis); creation and protection of high value timber products; and other researched possibilities.
Seeking couples but singles is fine at times.
Fun stuff - learn to bodysurf / surf with surfboards and wetsuits; Try beach golf, bocce, beach forest meditation. National Parks. State Reserves. Snorkel (byo gear) walks and wildlife sunset chasing. Outdoor fireplace cookups.
Working on: finishing new shelter; finish small side room; making creative gates; tiling (wall / floor ceramic tiles); improvements in gardens.
General stuff we do: harvesting/preparing for planting/planting, managing grass / trees in lush food forest, painting / oiling (protect timbers). We teach skills for sustaining yourself and a whole household, and beyond.
Usually, you will have a small double bed, large desk, in a room of your own, plus opportunity for yoga sessions with Dom or other instructors, including Kirtan (singing yoga), simple surfing / beach swims / tennis (good weather!) , local walk / cycle to views, aboriginal history walk.
Food we eat is mostly vegetarian (90%) with lots of home-grown and organic foods.
Hope you can join Dom (me) on trips to singing yoga (Kirtan) plus a local yoga class .
Thanks for reading - please see the facebook page and ask us for other pages to get more insights, many reviews and many pictures.
Internet: Hotspot at the house off host mobile (if you dont have you're own), locality wifi (paid), Our great local Library - six days a week - 10 mins away on bike.
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
You can gain experience and insights into ecological design, carpentry, permaculture design and management, organic horticulture, many yoga practices, English language, Australian vernacular, and more.
You are very welcome to join Dom (me) on trips to singing yoga (Kirtan) plus a local yoga class .
Other fun stuff - Swim in many different spots around Inverloch with or without waves. Learn to surf (we have gear) - Beach golf/beach forest meditation - Tennis (good weather only) .
If weather no good: learn yoga (it is more than moving into positions) ; use Dom's Library on sustainable / conscious living. More.
Ideally you have skills in building, using electric tools or gardening tools - if not, you are willing to learn.
We prefer :
- Couples but single person is sometimes.
- You have already arrived in Australia (unless you have been in Australia before) and settled in at least for a few days.
- Understand the purpose of volunteer programs and volunteering
- Have experience driving a vehicle (we have mini-van) .
- Are not vegan or have multiple food intolerances
- Have some learning goals - you know what you like to learn
- Have a full profile of your own including photos; provide a reference of some kind (even reviews)
- Can commit to staying two weeks, or more. This is for your benefit as well as ours - it takes time to learn routines / skills / tools and 'discover Nature' in our area, and unwind from your previous city living.
English, some Italian,
A private bedroom with a double bed and a large desk with view to our urban Southern forest. Cheery carpet floor. Good natural light plus two other lights. Clothes hanging space (shoe-free indoors)
If you wish to use your tent / camp-van , there are tent spaces / parking spaces.
Our place deals with sustainable living (low ecological footprint, high community engagement ) in a hands on way for owners and volunteers like you, or in an immersive education way (holidaymakers). We are lucky to be in the premier coast holiday town in the South Gippsland Coast, two hours South East from central Melbourne. We are on at the junction of an estuary (huge lake) and the ocean - lots of possible beach and water activities.
Working on - finishing new side room / verandah; making creative gates; ceramic tiling; improvements in gardens.
You will have a double bed, large desk, in a room of your own , plus opportunity for yoga sessions with Dom or another instructors, including Kirtan (singing yoga), simple surfing, local walk cycle to views, beach swims, aboriginal history, weekend markets, and more.
Food we eat is mostly vegetarian (90%) with lots of home-grown and organic foods.Week Food Preparation: One person will prepare breakfast for one person - lunch , one person dinner.
- We choose our own/local produce to eat firstly (what needs to be eaten from garden or fridge). Local foods at local supermarket/specialty shops are used.
- Get creative, learn new ingredients in our gardens !
• Two week stays. Two days free with five hours for five days doing tasks
with host (or independently when host is busy)
- The five hours includes meal making
- Free days usually Tues,Wed
You are welcome to come to weekly trip (usually to yoga things or friends party or a festival) - i can usually arrange accommodation for these city trips - usually one night stay over.
• We try to keep internet usage to essentials at the house - so much beauty, beach so close . .
• Simple/short use (check email, book tickets) you can use the 4G WiFi off Dom's mobile phone, OR use our nearby spacious comfy Library (5 1/2 days a week) which has good WiFi , free surfboard hire, special Australian books, free live movie streaming, DVDs, a great colour printer; decent desktop computers; Or - use WiFi at nearby cafes (less reliable than Library) + good coffee , local newspapers .
Longer stays are welcomed after three day week trial.
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️Advice for travellers who have never been to Australia / NZ : Working English can be a challenge to learn - so, before working/volunteering it is best you become a 'tourist' in Australia for at least two weeks to improve your communication skills , and sort your 'paper work' out - Bank Account / Tax / etc) *️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️
- Note : 10 days bare minimum stay. Prefer two to three weeks .
- Your spacious timber filled room has: comfy double bed , view to lush quiet garden (super clean air) , reading light plus big light; two chairs, clothes hanging space.
Maybe we can accommodate two mature friends/a couple who can sleep in same room, esp. if one person can drive and is over 25 yrs old (for car insurance). Couples may need to do separate tasks sometimes.
Also available for helpers:
- Spare clothes and shoes (for work or play)
- Wetsuits - Surfboards - Boogie boards.
- Some iternet access at house in eve from phone hotspot or - Town library and cafes have better access.
- home library focused on sustainable home and community living / health and personal develpment .
- Sewing gear
- Gear for beach golf & beach bowls
- Lesson in surfing / various yoga practices / English / Australian dialect.
- Did we mention the fresh IN SEASON foods from our gardens.?
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
5 hours a day, 5 days a week