From: United Kingdom
Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden
15/07/2019 - 01/10/2019
Firstly let me say a huge bonjour, hola and hello to all workawayers and hosts!
UPDATE: Set up a historical walking tour from scratch: see my tour and read my reviews here: https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/574247
My name is Oli, I've just hit the ripe young age of 30 and am from the not so sunny city of Sheffield, England :)
It goes without saying that i love to travel! Meeting like-minded people, sharing stories and experiences, and learning about diverse languages, people and cultures is constantly humbling me, of which I am immensely grateful. Workaway has allowed the opportunity to give something back; to be a part of other travellers experiences, and to do all that i can to make people have as great a time as i have on the road; to be shown the same kindness and care that i have received from hosts, volunteers and wanderers alike.
As you can see from my skills section, I've worked in a variety of jobs in the past where i have learned about lots of industries and people of all ages. I love to work face to face with people, and have been honing my communication skills throughout my entire life. I studied History & Politics at University, and still have a constant craving to learn, for knowledge and understanding, striving to live a better life. I'm still of the opinion, however, that we learn most from experience!
My travelling experience began when a few years ago i set off travelling from the North of France, camping, busking and being rained on! I met an Estonian guy in Marsaille who invited me to travel to Barcelona together...after spending some time there i fell in love with the city and people, and made it my goal to stay for a longer period of time. I met a workawayer in the hostel i stayed in, who told me about the site, so i immediately signed up! I travelled to a couple of places in Catalonia applying through workaway for placements in Barca and thankfully was offered a job in a hostel. I spent two months working in a busy hostel through high season, and loved every minute of it - i was even grateful when i was scrubbing toilets!
I wish that i could have stayed longer at the time, but my younger sister had just given birth to her first child and i was asked to be Godfather...so back to England i went! I'm from a big family, by the way - i have 5 brothers and sisters, and 10 nieces and nephews...i know, crazy! Because of this though, I'm used to living with lots of people, being considerate of one another, loving, and diplomatic at times! I love my family and I'm grateful to have so many people to love. I returned to Barcelona where i was welcomed back to my previous workaway host, and stayed with them for another few months before moving on to France, with the view of learning french. I've now been living in France for nearly two years, travelling different parts of Europe in my spare time. Now that i have a grip on the language, i'd like to move on and share my experiences with others, elsewhere. I'm now looking for new volunteering opportunities, of which i would be grateful of any considerations from you beautiful hosts!
Sorry for the lengthy ramble, and if you've gotten to the bottom, Thankyou for reading, i hope to hear from you soon!
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
- worked in a busy bar in central Toulouse, France, for 1 and a half years, where i learned to speak the French language
- also temporarily ran a B&B in Carcassonne, France for 4 months through workaway - where i was entrusted with the day to day running of the place. Mainly clients between 40-65, multinationals. I'm used to interacting with people from all ages and all walks of life!
- I worked in a very busy hostel in Barcelona for over 6 months, and have experience of bar work, cleaning, organising nights out and general guest interaction as a result (which I'm very grateful of!)
- I have hitchhiked in France, Spain, Corsica, Austria, Croatia, Slovenia and Italy. A few years ago I took part in a fundraising Hitchhike race from England to Scotland with over 200 people.
- I play guitar and piano and am currently working on a volume of poetry, having won first prize in a 'Poetry Pulse' competition last year.
- I have 18 years experience in skateboarding, and have taught children to skateboard for the council, and have run basketball and trampoline sessions for children after school
- great communication skills on all levels: I've worked with children and in professional office environments with face to face interaction as well as over the phone; also more informal face to face communucation with people of all ages when working at a skatepark - centred around making sure that the atmosphere was always alive
-trained as barman
- great IT skills
- the use of cash tills and general retail skills such as stock replenishment and cleaning duties
- public speaking
- painting and decorating
- great cooking skills
- other general but important skills such as patientce, resillience, listing, organzation and ability to follow instructions
English, French, some Spanish - always keen to learn more!
Special dietary requirements