My name is Ralph, and I'm an Italian Canadian in my mid-70s. I've been living in rural Eastern Ontario for nearly 50 years, and have been running this RV Park for nearly 20 years. I enjoy sharing my knowledge of our beautiful area with newcomers and giving suggestions of ways to learn about and enjoy the local area. This is part of why I love running this RV Park/campground. While our seasonal sites are all people from the local region, we get overnight campers from all over the world, many of whom are experiencing this part of the Canadian wilderness for the first time.
Our RV park/campground is 7 acres and has 60 seasonal sites for RVs, as well as trailers and a cottage for rent on a night basis and overnight campsites for people traveling and wanting to camp using a tent or an RV. Our park is on a lake one hour North of Napanee, Ontario, 2 hours West of Ottawa, 3 hours East of Toronto. The park/campground is on a paved road close to a small village, and features a sandy beach, with additional facilities including washrooms and showers, an office/workshop, a boat launch, a dock, Wi-Fi, and a playground.
Many of the seasonal campers are very social and love to talk, and are eager to learn about newcomers while also sharing about our local area. As everyone at the RV park is in vacation mode, there is always a very pleasant, relaxed and social atmosphere -- a great opportunity to drop and really learn about this local place and culture.
By Workawaying with us, you can experience living in the Canadian wilderness and interacting with many Canadians who have lived their entire lives in this region. You can learn about local history, traditions, foods, and local linguistic idiosyncracies.
All of our seasonal campers are from the Ontario/Quebec region, which is a fascinating intersection of the anglo-franco cultures in Canada. Day trips to Canada's capital, Ottawa, are easy since it's only a couple hours by car.
While at the RV park, you can learn and enjoy exploring the local Canadian wilderness through various activities such as fishing, kayaking, canoeing, swimming and hiking.
This host offers accommodation and payment.
Host has indicated that they will pay at least the minimum hourly wage of their country for each hour worked and that accommodation will also be provided. They are asking for help with a business or business activity. Contact the host directly via the site messenger for more information and details about the wage provided. Any arrangements should be agreed in advance with your host.
*** Applicant must be Canadian citizen or resident with authorization to work in Canada ***
• General repairs & maintenance including painting, caulking, minor carpentry, minor plumbing, lawnmower and garden equipment maintenance.
• Groundskeeping: lawn mowing, weed trimming, raking, minor gardening, pruning, branch clean ups.
• Cleaning campsites, washrooms, rental accommodations.
• Customer Service: check-ins/check-outs, helping guests, answering questions, selling store items.
• Record keeping: water usage, occupancy, store sales.
• Security: ensure park rules are followed, oversee property.
• Basic computer work: check online bookings, enter information, return emails and phone calls.
• Directing third party service providers and other sub-contractors where these services are required.
• Provide monthly invoices to the RV park, remit own HST, if applicable.
• An orientation, operations reference guide, and service standards will be provided.
• Park owners will be on-site regularly to assist.
Ideal Service Provider Qualifications:
• Experienced in home repairs, maintenance, minor renovations, working with power tools.
• Experienced in basic groundskeeping, yard maintenance, working with power equipment.
• Able to perform physical tasks including, shoveling, raking some lifting and moving items 25 lbs.
• Experienced in customer service, friendly, good with people.
• Comfortable using a computer and smart phone.
• Reachable by cell phone and email.
• Willing to provide services at irregular hours as needed - mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays.
• Willing to provide services in any weather conditions if required.
• Maintains a permanent residence elsewhere.
• Has own vehicle.
• Has own tools, although some specialized tools will be available at the park for use by the service provider.
• Has or is able to obtain own insurance and a WSIB clearance certificate.
• Experienced with small engine repairs.
• Some days will be hectic with lots of people and activity between 9am and 9pm. Other days will be quiet, very few
people, and lots of time to work on repairs, maintenance, or kick back and enjoy a book, fishing, swimming, campfire
and socialize with friends. Most days are flexible enough for service to be rendered at service provider’s own pace
and the service provider shall provide services in a discretionary manner provided that the needs of the Park are met.
• May & June: very quiet, few guests, focus is on getting the park ready for opening (black flies & mosquitoes).
• July & August: busy on weekends with lots of guests, fairly quiet during weekdays (very few mosquitoes).
• September/October: very quiet, very few guests, focus is on repairs, maintenance and closing the park. (almost no
• Guaranteed revenue of $8640 - $11,040 for the season with the RV park being the main customer. (see below)
• Immediate access to over 50 other customers possibly in need of repairs, maintenance, groundskeeping, labour.
• Free seasonal site for service provider’s RV including 30amp power, water, Wi-Fi (sewage dump station nearby).
• Or free accommodations in the park’s RV - 29 ft, modern, spacious, with kitchen, washroom, shower, bedroom, heat & A/C. (sewage dump station nearby).
• Free utilities: hydro, water.
• Free unlimited Wi-Fi.
• Free use of golf cart.
• Freedom to set own hours and work at own pace most days, while maintaining service standards including control
over the manner and timing of the work.
• The service provider is free to provide contracted services to other campsites or customers provided the service
standards of the park are met.
• Flexibility to determine how and when services will be rendered.
• Freedom to come and go from the park, as long as service standards for the park are maintained.
Seasonal Service Contract Budget:
The RV park’s budget for the seasonal service contract is based on 24 weeks (May1 – Oct 15) with an estimated 24 billed hours of services provided per week (on average) for a total of 576 hours for the season.
Option 1: "Service Provider brings own RV"
Monetary amount paid for the season: $11,040 plus RV site with hydro, water, Wi-Fi (value of $2600) for a total of $13,640 plus HST (if applicable).
Option 2: "Park provides an RV"
Monetary amount paid for the season: $8640 plus RV Accommodations, including hydro, water, Wi-Fi (value of $5000) for a total of $13,640 plus HST (if applicable).
576 hours billed at the Option 2 rate yields $15/hour, which is the legal minimum wage in Ontario.
576 hours billed at the Option 1 rate, yields $19.16/hour, which is above the legal minimum wage in Ontario.
PLUS: additional revenue from providing repair/maintenance/labour services to the 50 RV owners within the park.
Example only: 15hrs/week x 24 weeks x $25/hr = $9,000.
The park’s service contract budget is the same whether for one individual or if the service provider engages employees or other contractors to assist with the performance of the contract. The exact details are negotiable depending on experience, skill set, and situation-specific circumstances.
How to Express Interest in This Role
The park is seeking to identify a service provider as soon as possible in 2021 with the contract commencing for the 2022 season. Service providers are invited to send a letter of interest describing how they fit with the statement requirements.
• Seasonal site for service provider’s RV including 30amp power, water, Wi-Fi (sewage dump station nearby).
• OR accommodations in the park’s RV - 29 ft, modern, spacious, with kitchen, washroom, shower, bedroom, heat & A/C. (sewage dump station nearby).
• Free utilities: hydro, water.
• Free unlimited Wi-Fi.
During time off you can go swimming, kayaking, canoeing, fishing, hiking, biking, and more.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
We can provide a water/electricity connected site for a campervan or motorhome up to 35 feet.
9am to 5pm EST