Favourited 2524 times
::Please read the profile carefully, thank you!::
Hello, I run a hostel in Zagreb, Croatia. According to commercial websites, this is one of the 'best' places in town, a misnomer for certain - differentiated/singular would be correct. We keep a low profile, filter guests (no party goers, heavy drinking, loud outings and similar) to draw people who are interested in more than just mainstream tourism; we try to keep the commercial aspect as minimal as possible. The hostel is also an art/ambience project with many contributions from different sides. Artistic/creative minded people are also very welcome, there's different ways to contribute to the house than regular housekeeping and hospitality work. The house has been here for 14 summers now, one of the first hostels in town and it has grown into a specific place where many return that have visited us, both as volunteers or guests. With me on the team is Petra and Fenris the dog-
Most of you will probably help around the house, laundry, sweeping, guests and so on. If you have specialised skills (gardening, electricity, working with wood etc), let us know. If you think you're an artist and expect to do sth along those lines, send a portfolio. We're not letting just anyone who claims to be an artist loose on the house (there's 'art', and then there's art). There is a structure and underlying idea to the house that has to be understood for any work of that kind to be possible.
People who come via workaway have their food covered. There's a condition however - the food budget is not to be spent in supermarkets (as much as is possible), but rather real (farmer's) markets. Zagreb has an abundance of those, and they're really good if you know where to buy. But they require effort. Market trips are done by bike and backpacks, I will show you the how's and where's and will expect to be asked about this if i forget. The quality and the prices are better, the money goes to local people. We try to participate as minimally as possible in urban conditions in the disfunctional capitalistic economy this country is currently suffering from, and this idea is a prerequisite. Food is quite essential in life, and the markets are a good place to mingle and participate with the local culture, since that is what most people are interested in. Experience has shown that, while many love this idea of markets, in reality very, very few people express interest in a continuous practice - instead they revert almost instantly back to convenience and buying food at the supermarket across the street. I certainly don't mind, but if that happens, you're on your own with the food*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️exception to above rule - in low season, when there's often not even 1 hour of work to be done (we're still open to hosting because we like to have people around), you have to take care of your own food, though fresh fruit is always available in the house for you; we do cook together and share, but it's random and whenever
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️due to the uncertain way people, things and events function, you will most likely not have a permanent bed in the house, since we will not pre-book the beds. Cancellations and the unreliability of people are the reason. That means you will have to switch rooms, sometimes more often. generally you'll get private rooms, we won't pack you into the many bed dorms unless we really have to. The system works, but if you're not adaptable, this might cause strain. If you stay minimalistic, as we recommend, and mobile, you won't have any problems. Just a warning.*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️Please make sure you have Whatsapp on your phone, as we will use the app to communicate throughout the house, there are 4 levels and it's not fun to race up and down all the time to transmit minor messages*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️
Following now are some criteria that have to be met before applying here: Please make sure you know yourself, I do not take kindly to people who misrepresent themselves, they present a burden, leech energy/vibes and so will be asked to leave the house.
-1. This one is for couples: We don't take couples, friends or romantic.
0. We're not looking for a 'worker'. If you're into precise schedules, just-do-my-job etc., that's not really what we want. You're supposed to be part of the ship, 24/7, even when you're 'not on duty', aware of the environment basically, participating in our daily lives here in Zagreb. You can have a lot of free time, especially if you're efficient in understanding the house, just let us know on time so we can all plan ahead.
1. Potheads are not welcome (in terms of working here), so if you're one, don't bother to apply. A bit every now and then is no issue, but daily users can't work here, go to a party hostel, there's enough of those in the city.
2. If you can be alone with yourself, are not a compulsive talker (babbling, nonsensical/shallow small talk all the time, for instance), you know how to enjoy a silence, this is a good place for you.
3. Hygienic habits - we expect at least OCD levels of personal hygiene. Not really of course, but minimalism, efficiency, eye for details and sensibility are a must.
4. Required age is 25+ and life experience, preferably beyond the pink dome of your mom's skirt.
4a. "But,but.. I'm younger than 25 and I think I'm exceptional, mummy always told me so!" Ok, let's hear it, if you really want to come.
5. This is the number five.
6. If you're a new ager, can't take sarcasm and criticism, are part of the 'offended at everything generation' don't bother to come, we need real people here.
7. You're expected to have self-initiative, dignity, a spine and a functioning neocortex.
8. Solipsists/autarchic individuals will not function well here - a quality level of intefacing with consensus reality is expected.
9. If you're a smartphone/instagram/whatever_app_in_general zombie, don't insult us by applying, thank you; same goes for people in the blogger/vlogger and similar lifestyles.
10. If you're not sure what 9. means, don't bother to apply :)
11. If you believe the Earth isn't round, you probably shouldn't come here.
12. Be a dog fan.
We reserve the right for an evaluation period (1-3 days), to see how you resonate with the place and above points, because this place is easily considered the most specific hostel in the city, according to the travelling community (check online reviews from booking websites, i don't mean workaway reviews, they're too fluffy, and especially check the bad reviews, they will give you a good insight into the dominant mindset here) and we need people who meet the level and *️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️click*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️ with the house. If that doesn't happen, we don't think it makes sense to continue the workaway, as the click is kinda essential, more important than the help you will provide. Please don't be intimidated by this - we don't expect love at first sight, just looking for that little..something.
This criteria is objective, because if you like and understand the house and the community, but don't click with some of the crew, it doesn't matter, you are welcome to stay anyway because there's a broader perspective that's more important than individual dislikes. This principle goes both ways - in case you find that this is not what you're looking for, it will not be held against you if you leave, obviously.
So, why bother with all this? Because if you get it right, you'll have a great time here and be well taken care of - good food, easy life and lots of free time.
IMPORTANT NOTE for applications:
1. Please make sure to check your inbox regularly if you apply - we get a lot of applications, the sooner you reply/check your inbox, the higher the chances for you to come, as I reply ASAP and expect the same. If you neglect this part, someone else will take your place.
2. Non-generic applications have priority over generic application emails ( "hi, i'm young and love to travel and immerse myself in other cultures..." - applications or profiles in this or similar formats will be ignored)
3. We reserve the option to cancel a scheduled workaway up to 2 weeks prior to your arrival, because of many, many things that can and do happen. After that period, only something really serious can trigger the cancellation. The following is a secret code line that will tell me you actually read everything here. Please just type in the subject of your application email that 'Dark is the best series of all time', and i will take your application seriously, since many people are just writing random rubbish without ever reading the specifics, and reading this means you went through everything :)
4. We will leave negative feedback for no shows that do not notify us. It is considered disrespectful because we had to turn someone away so that YOU could come.
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Culture has become a commodity. A product to be consumed, savoured. I don't think much of the concept "cultural exchange". You can come here and be part of the daily life, such as it is. What one sees and what one gets from all that lies, to a large degree, with you.
This host offers accommodation and payment.
Help in running the hostel. Depending on your preferences as well, but generally experience in housekeeping, hospitality, being around people etc. is very welcome
Private rooms, dorm rooms, clean, cozy and simple, whatever is available at any point, with preference towards private rooms or smaller sized dorms (6 people max)
Whatever you want - exploring Zagreb, hiking, daytrips, bikes. There's gamers here (rpg, pc, tabletop like d&d etc).
and so on. Free bikes to use of course.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: