Favourited 632 times
this project is about a dream that just started coming out of its shell. We 're 2 persons who joined forces since summer 2018 and decided to work together so as to develop ecological lifestyle at a land, in order to set the base for an eco/ art community. we re artists and nature lovers and have decided to put these two facts as guides in our path.
as regards the eco project.
we are interested in research and practice 3 paths. our respect and love of nature, which leads us in the other 2, natural farming and natural building, as a way of life.
we have a big piece of land (more than 6 hectares), located in the foot of mount kaimaktsalan, 3rd tallest mountain in greece. in the land there are about 1000 walnut trees, plus many other nut and fruit trees , most of them wild local varieties. all these surrounded by a wild forest area. all trees are following the principles of natural farming, the most mild way of farming possible, according to which we try to limit human interference in nature, while establishing a balanced eco system.
in our land there is a little stream passing by. we ve created from it two lakes, one of them perfect for a cold swim.
our focus, apart from following a natural lifestyle is to always search for freedom as base in our community, so as everyone feels open and evolves, including people, animals and plants.
on the artistic side of life.
we want to establish a space for art communication and exchange. we re interested (once done with building the basic housing), to organize workshops, communal creation days, invite individual artists who are inspired from living in our land and work on their projects.
First goal on this direction was to host the 1st art festival in summer '19. Through it we exchanged our passions on music, performances, tale naration, improvisation, workshops, aiming in creating a network of artists and looking for common directions between different art forms.
In august 2019 we also hosted our first workshop on physical theater. We hope this to be the starting point of a series of summer seminars in different art forms.
there is also a long term vision. to turn the whole place into a piece of art, where everything that exists or takes place on it will be part of it. therefore even though we re still in the beginning everything that we ll build together will follow an artistic aesthetic.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
you ll be learning a lot of of mixed skills that have to do with a full length eco project.
our goal is to move towards sustainability and organize our lifestyles in the most ecological way possible. we try to practice
- natural farming techniques
- natural building
- permaculture design in farming and construction
- food drying, processing, canning
- landscape art, sculpting , painting and more..
>>the project will be closed for december and january. we ll be accepting volunteers again from february.
from february and on:
-1st riority for this year is plantation. we re going to plant about 70-80 trees. preparation of the ground and planting trees, on the process of creating a fruit forest/ natural farm. we re going to add a first protection layer to the young trees of organic stuff.
- we already have a crocodile clay sculpture by our lake, but we re looking for a sculptor to do some final touches, add some color and wax it.
- building a cob house, our biggest and most challenging project. the idea is to construct a whole house with natural materials mostly gathered from the area around, with almost no budget. this project will last long time. it will proceed in different steps. the first one is to close 2 rooms, living room, kitchen, so that it becomes livable.
digging for foundation is just completed, and we re about to start building the first half meter of the walls with stone.
- we are looking for people with carpentry experience. There are always needs on the field. At the moment if possible create some doors, window frames, for the cob house.
- preparing one more artificial lake for water collection (the 4rth in the land).
- rebuild some old walls, plaster and paint them. we re looking for painters to decorate the space around.
- in the process of enriching the land in plant diversity we use various methods. if volunteers are interested we can arrange and make seed balls, a classic way of fukuoka's method.
all year tasks:
-when we have many volunteers cooking will be another job one of them can take care.
-herb picking/ drying
-marmalade/ liqueur cooking.
-Fruit picking from the center of natural farming, the biggest natural farm in greece, owned by a friend.
this farm is located close to edessa and since we take care of it at the moment there are a few more tasks over there as well like weeding, pruning, and maintenance.
greek, english, basic spanish
at the moment we can provide a huge camping area under a walnut tree forest. we have 2 tents with mattresses and a hummock for volunteers, but since from times to times more people are joining, it is preferable if you could bring your own camping gear.
when climate is getting chilly, or if you dont prefer tents, there is a communal room with mattresses at the floor, which you can also use for sleeping.
we can offer 2 meals per day, usually vegan and sometimes vegetarian options. also we provide the basic ingredients for volunteers if they need extra meal to cook by themselves, plus fruits, and walnuts.
the area around our land is typical north greece forest mountain scape.
very close by there are hot springs (pozar), coming out from the mountain, next to a cold river, in a magical natural landscape.
you ll find a few little villages around, with local residents, totally free from tourist industry pollution.
in summertime local celebrations take place in the villages nearby with a kind of local balkan music. but the big balkan music events take place during carnival time (end of february), plus the best balkan carnival of north greece at beginning of January.
There is no public transport to our land so we can pick you up from edessa or aridea towns, or you can hh to the village.
- if you ask for more than 1,5 month in advance we can just reply a maybe. we have flexible schedule, so cant book places long in advance. plus we receive spontaneous requests, that finally people cancel without letting us know, so its hard to plan for future capacity.
- pls if we give you a positive reply and you change plans, let us know!
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: