We purchased our lovely, rural French farmhouse fairly recently and it needs quite a bit of work doing to it. It sits in magnificent surroundings on the border of the Lot-et-Garonne and the Dordogne on a 44000m2 plot.
The property, a former prune farm, dates back to the 17th century and consists of the main house, a barn and woodshed and a stable block. There is also a pool a BBQ for our workawayers to enjoy in their downtime. The land comprises of meadows, an orchard, an overgrown pond, a small woods and the more formal garden. We are currently also developing a vegetable patch. It is a very rural location with the nearest village with a post office and a cafe (but no shop) 2km away.
We are looking to breathe new life into the property and get it back to its former glory. The land has been left to be overrun by brambles and the hundreds of fruit trees are overgrown and in desperate need of a good prune. Once the land is back under control, we want to be able to create a haven for wildlife, from wildflower meadows, to a natural pond to a copse where the deer and other wildlife can seek refuge.
Basically, there is loads to do, we have jobs for all ranges of experiences and interests, whether it’s a skilled plasterer, landscape designer or a person(s) who are willing to get stuck in, lend an extra pair of hands and are flexible, we’d love to welcome you.
Who are we? We are Laura and David and we have a very adorable dog who loves life and especially people who throw balls and give cuddles. We have travelled extensively. We love our food and wine. We speak English, Dutch and crappy French and German.
You will be staying with us in the main house, where you will have your own bedroom with double bed and a basic ensuite. We’d like you to help us out for 5 hours a day mon to fri. All meals will be happily included (including on days off), you are free to use the kitchen and prepare your own food, if you so wish.
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Gosh there's a whole range of skills that can be learned, not only on the property with all the new skills you may develop, but the area is extremely rich in culture and history.
We have plenty of different projects on the go at any one time. These can include:
1. Building work: from pointing, plaster boarding and stud work, to re-cladding the stables, to building a greenhouse, or just providing an extra set of hands.
2. Painting: we have plenty of shutters that need stripping down and repainting, plus interior walls that need a fresh coat.
3. Ground maintenance: from mowing (we have a small tractor), to fencing, to clearing, to pruning the hundreds of fruit trees.
4. Fencing: we have a whole lot of fencing that needs repairing, pulling down or putting in.
5. Vegetable plot: we are developing a new vegetable patch with the accompanying water butts, compost and greenhouse.
6. Gardening: the gardens directly around the main house need landscaping, weeding, planting up and much more.
7. Sewing & upholstery projects: we have loads of old curtains that need to be resized and old furniture to be reupholstered.
8. Cooking & household duties: having a group of workawayers on site is loads of fun, but they all need feeding and looking after. We could do with an extra pair of hands to help us provide all our workawayers with a great (and yummy) experience. We are keen cooks and are really happy to share this with you.
9. We also have need for plasterers, plumbers, electricians, jam makers, etc. If you have a skill set that an old French farm might need, please get in touch.
This host offers a language exchange
This host has indicated that they are interested in sharing their own language or learning a new language.
You can contact them directly for more information.
You will be staying with us in the main house, where you will have your own bedroom with double bed and a basic ensuite. We’d like you to help us out for 4 hours a day mon to fri. All meals will be happily included (including on days off), you are free to use the kitchen and prepare your own food, if you so wish.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
This host has indicated that they love having digital nomads stay.
This host can provide space for campervans.
More than two
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week