Favourited 32 times
Come experience life in a Saxon village in Transilvania! The countryside in southern Transylvania has many charms, with plenty of occasions to slow down and enjoy the quiet and the fortified churches. We are surrounded by many tourist attractions and historical places worth visiting. The guesthouse is in a Saxon village called Mosna, Sibiu County, Romania.
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
Would you like to spend your summer in a Saxon village in Transylvania, in a fairytale setting right next to a medieval fortified church? It's peaceful, quiet and a great place to live.
Our guesthouse is the actual, historical parish house of the Saxon fortified church and is located right next to it, in the village of Meschen (Mosna), a medieval Saxon village surrounded by rolling hills and hardwood forests, in southern Transylvania.
The guest house is inside an historical, medieval group of buildings that includes the fortified Saxon church which is from the 14th century, the caretaker's house and the parish house (now the guest house). As you can see from the pictures, this is a select location inside an historical monument.
We are looking for volunteers who can stay and help us for a period of two weeks or more during all months and seasons of the year, in the Saxon village of Mosna), in Sibiu County, Romania.
There is plenty of work to be done in the house and the garden of our property, so we are looking for people who love nature and enjoy working in nature, doing things such as gardening, landscaping, simple construction, clearing rubble and debris, keeping work tools and materials organized, keeping the house and church clean and organized, cleaning the guesthouse, etc.
Here are a few guidelines:
- You should be communicative, trustworthy and friendly.
- Given the communal nature of the work, you will need to follow basic rules of personal hygiene, common sense and manners, out of respect for everyone involved in the project.
- We’ll provide ingredients for your food, but you are expected to cook it and serve yourself, then clean up afterward.
- You will be expected to keep your living quarters clean and organized.
- You will be assigned daily tasks to perform in accordance with your capacities.
- Age Restriction: 18 years old and above.
- There are short-term and long-term opportunities available, from a minimum of a one-week stay.
- We have high-speed internet access with WiFi
- There will be no tolerance for habitual alcohol use, no tolerance at all for drug use and there will be no loud music or loud noises on-site.
What’s NOT included?
- Flights, visa, internal transport, travel health insurance, pocket money.
If you are interested, please message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer for us and the dates when you would be available.
--> Important: we are also looking for long-term volunteers who will stay on the property and maintain it, answer the phone, greet visitors and give tours of the fortified church.
- Directions if you’ll be arriving by car or from the bus station in Mosna. The closest airports are in Sibiu, Tg. Mures or Cluj. Medias, the closest city, 7 minutes away.
- Bring your own sleeping bag. Foldable beds are available, but we have just a few.
- Bed linen are included,
- Shower towels are not included; please bring your own.
- You will be lodged in the house near the church, or at the historic guesthouse, depending on what's available.
- We have a working bathroom and a kitchen with hot and cold running water, a toilet and a shower. The kitchen has a stove, a sink, a dishwasher, a washing machine, a fridge and various appliances (blender, toaster, electric oven, waffle maker, sandwich grill, popcorn maker, coffee machine, electric water boiler).
- 3 meals a day and snacks. We'll make all necessary ingredients available to you and you'll prepare your own food.
- We will provide an in-person orientation upon your arrival.
- We have high-speed internet.
- Mosna is a medieval Saxon village surrounded by rolling hills and hardwood forests, located in southern Transylvania.
- You can take trips to other medieval villages and towns close by such as Medias, Biertan, Richis, Apos, Mosna, Agnita or Sighisoara, etc.
- The region is great for all manner of outdoor activities such as camping and biking, though we should warn you that wildlife is plentiful (this means bears and wolves as well).
- Mosna is about 25-30 minutes from Medias, 7 minutes from Medias, 35 minutes from Sighisoara, and 50 minutes from Sibiu. There is public transport by bus twice a day, in the morning and in the afternoon.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: