Come experience life in a Saxon village in Transilvania! The countryside in southern Transylvania has many charms, with plenty of occasions to slow down and enjoy the quiet and the fortified churches. We are surrounded by many tourist attractions and historical places worth visiting.
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
Would you like to spend your summer in a Saxon village in Transylvania, in a fairytale setting right next to a medieval fortified church? It's peaceful, quiet and a great place to live.
We are looking for volunteers who can stay and help us for a period of two weeks or more during all months and seasons of the year, in the Saxon village of Pelisor (known as Magarei in German), in Sibiu County, Romania. We are trying to create a place where life, friendship, knowledge and nature mingle in the most beautiful way possible.
We are looking for people who can perform demanding physical tasks, as part of the restoration of an historic parochial house and medieval fortified church, both listed monuments, and who can follow the directions and advice of the project coordinators. The typical work schedule is about 5 hours a day, 5 days a week. You will be assigned daily tasks to perform in accordance with your capacities.
There is plenty of work to be done in the house and the garden of our property, so we are looking for people who love nature and enjoy working in nature, doing things such as gardening, landscaping, simple construction, clearing rubble and debris, keeping work tools and materials organized, keeping the house and church clean and organized, etc.
Here are a few guidelines:
- You should be communicative, trustworthy and friendly.
- Given the communal nature of the work, you will need to follow basic rules of personal hygiene, common sense and manners, out of respect for everyone involved in the project.
- We’ll provide ingredients for your food, but you are expected to cook it and serve yourself, then clean up afterward.
- You will be expected to keep your living quarters clean and organized.
- If you aren’t a person who loves working in nature, outside, during rain and mud or sunshine, this may not be the place for you. If you aren’t a person who is comfortable working on a construction site, where everything is dusty and the work is hard and dirty, this may not be the place for you. If you expect en-suite bathrooms and hotel-level amenities, this may not be the place for you. We’ve had volunteers who’ve been comfortable and happy with us, but they were tough people, accustomed to nature and mud and hard work. Again, if you’re not that type of person, this may not be the place for you.
- Age Restriction: 18 years old and above.
- There are short-term and long-term opportunities available, from a minimum of a one-week stay.
- We have high-speed internet access with WiFi
- While we serve alcohol to our volunteers on occasion, there will be no tolerance for habitual alcohol use, no tolerance at all for drug use and there will be no loud music or yelling on-site.
What’s NOT included?
- Flights, visa, internal transport, travel health insurance, pocket money.
If you are interested, please message us about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer for us and the dates when you would be available.
--> Important: we are also looking for long-term volunteers who will stay on the property and maintain it, answer the phone, greet visitors and give tours of the fortified church.
- Pickup and dropoff at the train or bus station in Medias or Agnita, or directions if you’ll be arriving by car. The closest airports are in Sibiu, Tg. Mures or Cluj.
- The overall living conditions are rudimentary, medieval even. Things will get better in the future after we complete the restoration work and introduce modern conveniences such as hot and cold running water, indoor toilets and heating, but right now, it can be rough and cold.
- You will be lodged in our country house near the church, or at the historic parochial house, depending on what's available. There is no bathroom or running water at the country house, so you will have to use the one in the parochial house, which is 200 yards away. This means you will have to walk to the bathroom, rain or shine, in mud or snow.
- We have a working bathroom and a kitchen at the parochial house, with hot and cold running water, a toilet and a shower. The kitchen has a stove-top, a sink, a dishwasher, a washing machine, a fridge and various appliances (blender, toaster, electric oven, waffle maker, sandwich grill, popcorn maker, coffee machine, electric water boiler).
- You will get 3 meals a day and snacks. We'll make all necessary ingredients available to you and you'll prepare your own food.
- Bed linen are included, but not the towels; please bring your own.
- We will provide an in-person orientation upon your arrival.
- We have high-speed internet.
- Pelisor is a medieval Saxon village surrounded by rolling hills and hardwood forests, located in southern Transylvania.
- You can take trips to other medieval villages and towns close by such as Biertan, Richis, Apos, Mosna, Medias, Agnita or Sighisoara etc.
- The region is great for all manner of outdoor activities such as camping and biking, though we should warn you that wildlife is plentiful (this means bears and wolves as well).
- Pelisor is about 25-30 minutes from Medias, 30 minutes from Sighisoara, 20 minutes from Agnita and 40 minutes from Sibiu. There is public transport by bus twice a day, in the morning and in the afternoon.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
5 hours a day, 5 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: