Favourited 23 times
Come experience life in a Saxon village in Transylvania. The countryside in southern Transylvania has many charms, with plenty of occasions to slow down and enjoy the quiet and the fortified churches. We are surrounded by many tourist attractions and historical places worth visiting.
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
Would you like to spend your summer in a Saxon village in Transylvania, in a fairytale setting right next to a medieval fortified church? It's peaceful, quiet and a great place to live. We are looking for volunteers who can stay and help us for a period of at least 5 days (ideally two weeks or more) during the months of May through October of this year (2019), in the village of Pelisor (known as Magarei in German), in Sibiu County, Romania. We are trying to create a place where life, friendship, knowledge and nature mingle in the most beautiful way possible.
- Work schedule: approx. 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
- You will be assigned daily tasks to perform in accordance with your capacities. We are looking for people who can do daily physical tasks, as part of the restoration of an historical parochial house and medieval fortified church, and who can follow the directions and advice of the Project Coordinator.
- There is work to be done in the house and the garden of our property, so we are looking for people who love nature and enjoy working in nature, doing things such as construction, cleaning rubble, clearing weeds, keeping work tools and materials organized etc.
- You should be communicative, trustworthy and friendly.
- Given the communal nature of the work, you will need to follow basic rules of personal hygiene, common sense and manners, out of respect for everyone else involved in the project.
- If you aren’t a person who loves working in nature, outside, during rain and mud or sunshine, this may not be the place for you
- If you aren’t a person who is comfortable working on a construction site, where everything is dusty and the work is hard and dirty, this may not be the place for you
- If you expect an en-suite bathroom and hotel accommodations, this may not be the place for you. The bathroom is 200 yards away and you have to walk there outside, rain or shine. We do have cold and hot running water there, plus an indoor toilet, so you’ll be able to shower as often as you like and keep clean, but again, you must walk there.
- There is no running water at the country house. You must get water from the well. Dishes must be brought to the parochial house and washed by hand.
- The overall conditions are rudimentary, medieval even. Things will get better in the future, as we do the work, but right now, it’s a bit of rough going. If you’re not the kind of person who can handle it, this may not be the place for you.
- We’ll provide ingredients for your food, but you are expected to cook it and serve yourself, then clean up afterward. There is a stove and oven, and there’s a fridge. Beyond that, the conditions are rudimentary.
- We’ve had volunteers who’ve been comfortable and happy with us, but they were tough people, accustomed to nature and mud and hard work. Again, if you’re not that type of person, this may not be the place for you.
- Selection process: message about your relevant experience, why you’d like to volunteer and the dates you would be available.
--> Important: we are also looking for a long-term volunteer who will stay on the property, answer the phone, greet visitors and give tours of the fortified church.
- Age Restriction: from 18 years old and above.
- There are short-term and long-term opportunities available from a minimum of one week stay.
- High-speed internet access with WiiFi
- There will be no tolerance for alcohol use during the work days, no tolerance whatsoever for drugs and no loud music on-site.
What’s NOT included?
- Flights, visa, internal transport, travel health insurance, pocket money.
- Pickup and dropoff at the train or bus station in Medias or Agnita, or directions if you’ll be arriving by car. The closest airports are in Sibiu, Tg. Mures or Cluj.
- Lodging in our country house next door to the church
- 3 meals a day - we'll bring ingredients and you'll prepare your own food.
- Bed linen are included, but now the towells
- Enjoy Pelisor, a medieval village surrounded by rolling hills and hardwood forests, located in southern Transylvania.
- You can take trips to the small medieval villages and towns close by such as: Biertan, Richis, Apos, Mosna, Medias or Sighisoara etc.
- The region is great for all manner of outdoor activities such as camping and biking.
- Pelisor is about 25-30 minutes from Medias, 30 minutes from Sighisoara, 20 minutes from Agnita and 40 minutes from Sibiu. There is public transport by bus, twice a day, in the morning and in the afternoon.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
5 hours a day, 5 days a week
Accuracy of profile: