We are Iris (24), David (28) and Felix (2) from the Netherlands and we own a really nice, small farm with around 8 hectares of fields and forest in Balșa, Romania. Here we live with our dogs and two cats.
We've been looking for a piece of peace for a long time already and now we decided we found it.
In the hills of Transilvania where it sometimes feels like time has stood still. In a good way!
So many mysterious and interesting natural places around us we have yet to discover. What we've seen so far makes us confident we will have a never ending adventure here.
We don't like to give a name to what exactly we are doing but we could try to make it a bit more clear. Our plan is to start a small community kind of place. Not a community where everybody lives together and shares everything, but more a village with people that like each other and have more or less the same ideas about life. About why we live and what's important to teach our children. Within this village we can share, help and learn from each other. There are more houses empty in our valley which are also for sale. At this moment Davids father bought the neighboring house. Friends of ours, with their daughter are building a house on land which we sell them and other friends bought a nice little place a little bit more up the hill. And some people are planning on either making a small holiday kinda place or to move here permanently.
Anyway. We have a really nice spot over here and we welcome everyone to visit and help create an even more beautiful piece of earth.
Things we would really like some help with are:
- REPLACING THE ROOF MAN, ITS RAINING INSIDE! kidding. it just could use some insolation and some straightening up.
- Plastering with clay
- Digging and constructing a cellar with a bathroom on top, attached to the house
- Cooking (we love you if you can cook or like to do dishes)
- Gathering Fire Woodz
As you maybe noticed, we don't have any gardening work to do this year. We're expecting another family member (a very tiny one!) in October and want to focus fully on renovating our house. That's why we are particularly looking for skilled builders who are strong and don't mind physical labour. David is very handy himself and we have all the tools we need to work efficiently.
There will also be alot of fun and games and music and dances and funstuff to be done.
Davids father, Mike, bought the house and terrain next to us. If you don't like some project we are doing, it could also be possible to help him with his big projects (a treehouse for example.) He's on workaway too. Besides Mike there's now more people, who all need help.
- We prefer a minimum stay of two weeks or longer. In our experience we noticed it takes around a week to get used to each other, after that it gets more relaxed and things start to run smoothly. If this is not possible for you, just let us know.
We are not to strict with most stuff as long as we're moving forward and getting things done everything is hunky dory.
We're looking for motivated people who want to learn and experience aswell as teach and share.
- Your stay will most probably be in a tent that we will provide, including a comfy mattress and all the blankets needed. The house is being renovated so there's (almost) no place to sleep inside unfortunately. There's one guest room left where you can sleep when it's not already occupied. But we'll discuss this before you arrive.
- Our farm is situated on a 15 minute walk (2 km) uphill, away from the village. This is quite a bumpy and dirty road so for normal cars or a van it could be a problem to get up to our house. However, we have a 4x4 and could pick people & bagage up when needed. Many people with a van made it up all the way to our house, but it has to be in a period without rain. The rain makes it super muddy and slippery and impossible to drive.
Please don't hesitate to write us regarding any questions you might have.
David, Iris and Felix
tags: self sustainablity, self sustainable, permaculture, self sufficient, organic, homesteading, home schooling, rural, nature, DIY, family, community village, camping, survival, wild, climbing, walking, falling in really deep holes, dry toilet, solar boiler, natural building, clay, straw, woodworking, carpentry, dutch, holland, nederlands, familie.
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
You can see how it is to start a small farm, from the very beginning.
Like mentioned above, we do not expect anything. We could use help with fixing the house, start up a garden, make plans with the land etc!
Dutch, English, and we want to learn Romanian!
Our guest room is almost always occupied by family or friends. If not, you can sleep there of course.
We have all the sleeping equipment. Air matresses, lots of blankets and pillows. Most probably camping. private tents
This area is very beautiful and i am sure we have not discovered all of it ourselves. We are not that far from Deva and Hunedoara which both have big castles.
There's a beautiful walk you can have, it goes through the river in the village, to another village. There's a big cave to explore.
We have bicycles which you could borrow if you want to.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week