Favourited 184 times
We are a family who escaped city life 3 years ago and settle on country side. George it’s an IT engineer (taking vacation for few years and trying to become a kiln builder), Dina it’s a ceramic artist, Jean-Paul 4 loves building staff (frog houses from mud or lego) and little Dafne 1.5 loved destroying things :)
For 3 years we were living in a normal village, with road access and big house with all amenities.
Now in 2019 we are taking the things closer to the nature, moving to a remote place away from the village: off the grid, closest neighbors are 15 min walking, surrounded by forest and orchards, lot of wild life, the road access is very difficult (only a good 4x4 can do if it's wet). This place is close to the village of Balsa, there are several families who moved in this area and there are more opportunities if you are interested to come and live here (you can find the others on work-away too).
We are trying to use only resource available on the spot for our projects: woods from the forest, clay instead of modern construction materials, focusing on permaculture and self-sustainability.
This is year will be mostly about building the basics: some places to sleep, outside kitchen, shower, watter system, solar electricity, renovating to some point an old house, digging and processing clay, gardening, building fences, wild foraging.
Will try to make some ceramics also not sure if will get to firing this year but will work on digging clay and processing it to the level of pottery clay.
We just manged to install some solar panels, so now we have electricity and internet :) we will be able to answer to more people (don't be scared about the low reply rate).
Babysitting / child care
Help with Eco project
Generally speaking we are learning about permaculture and living in the country side, we are not experts, so don’t expect that you will be coming to a well-established farm. But we have a lot of ideas and I expect that we will learn a lot of things together. We know a bit of wild plants, mushrooms so we can teach this.
I am building stoves/kilns and hope to turn this in a profession, so I can show you what I learn so far :)
The main activity for 2019 will be building the basics (not sure how much of this we will be able to achieve so don’t be scared you will not need to work 24 hours).
- Arrange some places for the volunteers to sleep.
- Build outside kitchen/ oven for bred.
- Build bath house with shower and sauna.
- Build a fence around the property (to protect from the wild animals), will be waved from nut tree branches.
- Build several areas of the garden using different kind of beds (raised beds).
- Digg clay and build gray water filtering system/ wet lands/ pounds.
- General construction works: renovate old house, take down part of a barn,
- Build several kilns for different proposes (rocket stoves, masonry stoves and kilns for firing ceramics). I love building kilns :), so far I was trying Kuznetov kilns and this year i am planing on 2 batch box rocket stoves.
- Building solar collectors and driers.
- Composting, composting and more composting :)
- Cutting grass and general gardening.
- Walk in the forest and pick-up plants, fruits, berries, mushrooms.
- Babysitting :D …This would be of great help :), but just if you really feel like. (actually this is on the top of the list, if you enjoy sitting with kids and playing with them please mention it in the message).
- If you travel kids you are for sure welcomed, we need more kids around.
Generally speaking we are learning about permaculture and living in the country side, we are not experts, so don’t expect that you will be coming to a well-established farm…. But we have a lot of ideas and I expect that we will learn a lot of things together.
Romanian, English, Latvian, Russian, Italian, French
For the moment in a tent, our conditions are relay basic right now, with your help will build some better place for volunteers to stay.
The village is Balsa
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week